Play calling sucked.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Play calling sucked.

Post by UOducksTK1 »

No problem losing to Wazzu. I think most of us saw it coming with our injuries situation.

But no points for 49 minutes at home? I don't think such a feat should ever be acceptable even with a true freshmen at QB. Be creative. Figure it out. That's what you get paid the big bucks for.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Post by vegasdom »

I was wrong. These QBs are not Division 1 material. BB is clearly not ready and dose not appear to have the arm either.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

vegasdom wrote:I was wrong. These QBs are not Division 1 material. BB is clearly not ready and dose not appear to have the arm either.
Yeah Braxton isn’t good, maybe he’s good in practice but he isn’t during the games. It was sad seeing how many open WR’s he missed.
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
vegasdom wrote:I was wrong. These QBs are not Division 1 material. BB is clearly not ready and dose not appear to have the arm either.
Yeah Braxton isn’t good, maybe he’s good in practice but he isn’t during the games. It was sad seeing how many open WR’s he missed.
And also how much better and normal the offense looked with Alie in there. One doesn't know the offense, as it seems like they don't have faith in the other to be able to get the ball to where it needs to be.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

pudgejeff wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
And also how much better and normal the offense looked with Alie in there. One doesn't know the offense, as it seems like they don't have faith in the other to be able to get the ball to where it needs to be.
This serves as an indictment towards Helf, Frost, and Lubick's inability to recruit and develop QBs after Marcus. Taggart is lucky that those guys were able to pull Herbert out of Oregon's own backyard and he was actually a D1-quality guy in his first year.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

I think the play call was much improved I understand we ran the ball after a few turnovers but I mean they can't just let Braxton get 5+ turnovers and kill his confidence. We just don't have the players right now no matter the play calling. I just really hope we can get Herbert back and get in a bowl game we need it for all these young guys.
Return Of the Quack!
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

greenyellow wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
This serves as an indictment towards Helf, Frost, and Lubick's inability to recruit and develop QBs after Marcus. Taggart is lucky that those guys were able to pull Herbert out of Oregon's own backyard and he was actually a D1-quality guy in his first year.
Well, two guys transferring out in the last 6 months certainly didn’t help the cause.

Herbert was the one injury Oregon couldn’t afford and him being out has paralyzed the offense. That speaks volumes to both his talent and shows how most true freshman normally play when thrust into unexpected PT. I don’t get the criticisms of BB though. There was a reason they were planning to redshirt him and it’s painfully obvious. He has the talent with both his arms and his legs and you see it flashed at times. It just looks like the game is moving way too fast for him and he gets skittish.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

My one criticism of the playcalling from yesterday was when it was towards the end of the half and we were running the ball well and we needed a score badly, we got to a 3rd and 1 and the coaches called a timeout only to run very predictable run plays twice in a row where they got stuffed. The reason Chip’s runs on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 worked so well was because of how fast they lined up. Calling a timeout there when Stanford was on their heels gave them time to set up and prepare for the play. That really didn’t make sense to me and was IMO a very costly mistake by the coaches.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:My one criticism of the playcalling from yesterday was when it was towards the end of the half and we were running the ball well and we needed a score badly, we got to a 3rd and 1 and the coaches called a timeout only to run very predictable run plays twice in a row where they got stuffed. The reason Chip’s runs on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 worked so well was because of how fast they lined up. Calling a timeout there when Stanford was on their heels gave them time to set up and prepare for the play. That really didn’t make sense to me and was IMO a very costly mistake by the coaches.
And yet we lost a Civil War with a run up the middle on fourth down. Revisionist history doesn't help anyone and using tempo wouldn't make a difference, nor is it likely we can use tempo with a kid in over his head at QB.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

Duck24 wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
pudgejeff wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
That's one thing I'm kind of disappointed in WT on - he's a great recruiter, so I'm not sure how he wasn't able to keep at least one of those guys on the program. I obviously don't know the situation behind them both leaving, but it seemed like it would be a pretty easy sell as far as potential playing time.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I don't know if keeping one of those QB's would have made much difference. Maybe Jonsen, but in hindsight it could also have affected our ability to get other guys in the future such as Shough.
Cedar Tree
Three Star Recruit

Post by Cedar Tree »

The thing that frustrates me is how much of a drop-off there is. Burmeister was a highly touted 4* recruit with scholarship offers from 13 schools. He threw for over 11,000 yards (279 per game) with 127 TDs and 33 picks in High School. I get that he's a true freshman and playing his first road game and everything, but the guy should be better than 3/8 for 23 yards and 2 INTs. So is he the bust of the decade, or what's the deal here???
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Cedar Tree wrote:The thing that frustrates me is how much of a drop-off there is. Burmeister was a highly touted 4* recruit with scholarship offers from 13 schools. He threw for over 11,000 yards (279 per game) with 127 TDs and 33 picks in High School. I get that he's a true freshman and playing his first road game and everything, but the guy should be better than 3/8 for 23 yards and 2 INTs. So is he the bust of the decade, or what's the deal here???
Most true FR (even some highly rated ones) just aren't ready for the D1 level, which is why most end up redshirting their first year on campus. BB is showing why he was needing to be one of those true FR.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

OregonFan4Life wrote:My one criticism of the playcalling from yesterday was when it was towards the end of the half and we were running the ball well and we needed a score badly, we got to a 3rd and 1 and the coaches called a timeout only to run very predictable run plays twice in a row where they got stuffed. The reason Chip’s runs on 3rd and 1 and 4th and 1 worked so well was because of how fast they lined up. Calling a timeout there when Stanford was on their heels gave them time to set up and prepare for the play. That really didn’t make sense to me and was IMO a very costly mistake by the coaches.
And if Burmeister just pulls it and runs, he gets the first down on that obvious run play. He is really bad at reading the defense right now.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

If you saw BB play in HS he made a ton of plays but his game is crazy undisciplined. He played like Manziel did in college, except that Evans bailed him out a ton. He is talented and a playmaker but there was ALWAYS going to be an adjustment period. This might be the first time that he has to play within a system.