Play calling sucked.

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Play calling sucked.

Post by vegasdom »

How many times are they going to run up the middle? Extremely predictable.
brich75
Senior

Re: Play calling sucked.

Post by brich75 »

Exicution sucked!
squintsdd
Sophomore

Post by squintsdd »

It is what it is. Burmeister looked like a true freshman making his first career start, and WSU's defense is not nearly as bad as it has been in years pas; in fact, they are quite good. This game had blowout written all over it, and Oregon actually played it close for most the game.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

How many teams in the country would have done better with a true freshman at QB? Not to mentioned the amount of injuries we are dealing with at almost every position.
vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Post by vegasdom »

Yes Burmeister is a freshman, yes there are a lot of injuries, but when you run the same play on first down almost every time it puts the offense at a big disadvantage. Cal did the same thing vs the Ducks and we know what happened.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

brich75 wrote:Exicution sucked!
Exactly. The OL didn't do BB or the running game any favors, WSU small DL killed them. And WR ran terrible routes and had at least 5 dropped balls.

For UO to win, which we can with BB, the OL has to man up and stop getting their collective asses kicked. ASU and WSU owned them. And the WR lack of talent was the other major issue, we need Nelson and Mitchell back ASAP.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

WSU has a top 10 ranked defense in the country after this week. ASU and WSU have demonstrated the game plan to beat this offensive line, especially if we can't trow the ball down field. Our coaches could have called a better game, but if there's nothing to go to then you got nothing. We aren't going to be able to run the ball for 300 yards every week. Heck, outside UCLA, we may not be able to run the ball for the 200 yards we're going to need to stay in games until we can develop a passing game or Herbert gets back. We're going to be predictable because we can't do too much else. I don't know how much blame I put on the actual in-game play-calling. It's just a fact of where we are at qb, WR, & TE.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Has anybody seen more than 5 offensive lineman in for Oregon in a play? With Stanford, we know what they’re gonna run half the time, but they do it so well because they’ll have 6, even 7 offensive lineman in there. So that even if the defense knows they’d run, they could load the box but not have a numbers advantage. With just 5 offensive lineman, that implies a variety of offensive play calling between runs and passes, but obviously this is a run heavy offense with how it’s been called, and to add with that we have TE’s who simply cannot block. So with a run heavy offense with only 5 lineman, we’re allowing the defense to have a numbers advantage by loading the box. I know the coaches are way smarter than me, but I do wonder, if Willie wants to have a tough running team that runs downhill, and if he’s calling predictable run plays, why not put in another lineman or two? Then we don’t see the numbers disadvantage as much.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

Our offensive line isn't as good as we thought, we literally have 1 good WR playing and he is a true freshman, our true freshman QB was terribl......stop over analyzing things people. Braxton was not good in the pass period and no one was getting open. You run the ball and trust the defense instead of having your true frosh QB lose all confidence in himself by throwing a bunch more picks then he did. Not even chip or Urban Myer could do jack sh*t about what we saw. People need to lay off the coaches and let them get their players in before we b*tch and moan about play calling. I have seen way to many people not in just this forum but others throw pissy fits over the coaching staff. It's sad and I can see who the real and post 2010 duck fans are now.
Return Of the Quack!
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Duckattack7 wrote:Our offensive line isn't as good as we thought, we literally have 1 good WR playing and he is a true freshman, our true freshman QB was terribl......stop over analyzing things people. Braxton was not good in the pass period and no one was getting open. You run the ball and trust the defense instead of having your true frosh QB lose all confidence in himself by throwing a bunch more picks then he did. Not even chip or Urban Myer could do jack sh*t about what we saw. People need to lay off the coaches and let them get their players in before we b*tch and moan about play calling. I have seen way to many people not in just this forum but others throw pissy fits over the coaching staff. It's sad and I can see who the real and post 2010 duck fans are now.
Settle down man, fans are allowed to freakin have a conversation. Just because you disagree with it doesn’t make it wrong. Nobody is denying that Willie was dealt a bad hand with the lack of depth and injuries, but that doesn’t mean we as fans can’t discuss certain strategies that we believe could be beneficial. Only one person on here is calling for Taggert to be fired and everyone else called him it for being insane. This is a huge overreaction for the discussion we’re having.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Has anybody seen more than 5 offensive lineman in for Oregon in a play? With Stanford, we know what they’re gonna run half the time, but they do it so well because they’ll have 6, even 7 offensive lineman in there. So that even if the defense knows they’d run, they could load the box but not have a numbers advantage. With just 5 offensive lineman, that implies a variety of offensive play calling between runs and passes, but obviously this is a run heavy offense with how it’s been called, and to add with that we have TE’s who simply cannot block. So with a run heavy offense with only 5 lineman, we’re allowing the defense to have a numbers advantage by loading the box. I know the coaches are way smarter than me, but I do wonder, if Willie wants to have a tough running team that runs downhill, and if he’s calling predictable run plays, why not put in another lineman or two? Then we don’t see the numbers disadvantage as much.
Yes. Against cal we used Brenner as a 6th OL a few times.

Agree that there's a lot to be desired for Breeland's blocking..and sadly his willingness to block. Someone needs to embarrass him by showing him some of his "efforts".
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duckattack7 wrote:Our offensive line isn't as good as we thought, we literally have 1 good WR playing and he is a true freshman, our true freshman QB was terribl......stop over analyzing things people. Braxton was not good in the pass period and no one was getting open. You run the ball and trust the defense instead of having your true frosh QB lose all confidence in himself by throwing a bunch more picks then he did. Not even chip or Urban Myer could do jack sh*t about what we saw. People need to lay off the coaches and let them get their players in before we b*tch and moan about play calling. I have seen way to many people not in just this forum but others throw pissy fits over the coaching staff. It's sad and I can see who the real and post 2010 duck fans are now.
It's almost like some people don't understand just how far Helf ran our talent into the ground. How lucky did the previous staff get to have Herbert just fall into their laps. Because they had zero clue how to actually scout and identify QBs who would succeed at this level.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Don't you know the sky is falling? I agree, let's all take a deep breath and realize we had a 4-8 team coming in with NO DEFENSE whatsoever. No we have a great D coach and kids playing their ass off. We have a top 5 recruiting class coming in. Let's give the coaches a chance...JHC
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

nogerO wrote:
Don't you know the sky is falling? I agree, let's all take a deep breath and realize we had a 4-8 team coming in with NO DEFENSE whatsoever. No we have a great D coach and kids playing their ass off. We have a top 5 recruiting class coming in. Let's give the coaches a chance...JHC
If he gets 2-3 recruiting classes in here and we are still looking like this then fine complain b*tch and moan all you want but right now isn't the time. Some fans just don't have patience and calling out coaches is just plain stupid.
Return Of the Quack!
Lightning Strikes
Three Star Recruit

Post by Lightning Strikes »

We've seen some vanilla scheming earlier in the season, but now isn't the time to gripe about that with a true freshman starting his first game. If they look like this with Herbert, then I'll be worried.