Oregon @ Stanford (Oct. 14, Sat 8 PM FS1)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Oregon @ Stanford (Oct. 14, Sat 8 PM FS1)

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Everythingsducky wrote:Vegas had it at 10.5. Who says Vegas knows what they are talking about. Ducks win civil war, and only because it is at Autzen. No other wins that I see. Unless another team is absolutely horrible at stacking the box, and stopping the run. Just happy UW lost.
Herbert will be back for the Utah game. Hopefully Oregon can win one of those.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

pezsez1 wrote:Hosted a family dinner tonight, so couldn't watch the game. Sounds like we picked right up from where we left off against WSU. Dang.

Did Nelson or Mitchell play? If so, did they matter AT ALL?
Didn’t matter at all, as the QB couldn’t get them a pass to receive. Probably good thing you missed the game. Maybe 33 total yards passing. Might as well go Wildcat.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Every coach on that god damn staff needs to get their s*** together this is on them. Nobody ready to play. No fucking game plan on offense. s*** play calling. The only thing that looked ok was the defense.

No, I'm not talking about Oregon... in fact, that's actually a quote from a Husky fan about UW's game.

https://www.uwdawgpound.com/2017/10/14/ ... s-petersen

At least tonight wasn't a total loss! :lol:
Willie Taggart is a dick.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:We can thank Herbert’s boneheaded injury for this. I know some want to give him sympathy, but his injury was his own fault and the team is really hurting because of it. He simply cannot make these sort of mistakes as a starting QB, it’ll also hurt his draft stock. Sucks to see the offense not exist in the second half. It’s hard watching these games.
Not sure how you can blame a fluke injury like that on him. It's not like he went head-first into someone; he had someone land on top of him while reaching across the goal line for a TD. Most QBs are going to try reaching the goal line when they're that close, even ones like Brady, Brees, and Wilson.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:We can thank Herbert’s boneheaded injury for this. I know some want to give him sympathy, but his injury was his own fault and the team is really hurting because of it. He simply cannot make these sort of mistakes as a starting QB, it’ll also hurt his draft stock. Sucks to see the offense not exist in the second half. It’s hard watching these games.
Not sure how you can blame a fluke injury like that on him. It's not like he went head-first into someone; he had someone land on top of him while reaching across the goal line for a TD. Most QBs are going to try reaching the goal line when they're that close, even ones like Brady, Brees, and Wilson.
That wasn’t a fluke injury. He needs to go down there. Slowly extending his body like that is inviting a LB to lay him out. Haven’t you heard NFL scouts rip into Carson Wentz for similar plays? Or how about when Gruden tore Bradford a new one for his reckless plays leading to injuries? There is a reason QB’s slide, because they’re valuable. Herbert extending the ball like that instead of going down was just plain silly. What would you rather have, a touchdown to go up 17-0 on Cal in the first quarter with Herbert breaking his collarbone, or 2nd and goal on the 1 up 10-0 against Cal with a healthy Herbert? Just a really boneheaded decision by Herbert and he should’ve known that as a valuable QB, you have to protect yourself.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
That wasn’t a fluke injury. He needs to go down there. Slowly extending his body like that is inviting a LB to lay him out. Haven’t you heard NFL scouts rip into Carson Wentz for similar plays? Or how about when Gruden tore Bradford a new one for his reckless plays leading to injuries? There is a reason QB’s slide, because they’re valuable. Herbert extending the ball like that instead of going down was just plain silly. What would you rather have, a touchdown to go up 17-0 on Cal in the first quarter with Herbert breaking his collarbone, or 2nd and goal on the 1 up 10-0 against Cal with a healthy Herbert? Just a really boneheaded decision by Herbert and he should’ve known that as a valuable QB, you have to protect yourself.
No player with an ounce of competitive juice in them is going to slide at the one yard line. Coaches may not like dives into the endzone but players do it all the time with no injury. Just because it happened this one time doesn't mean you should call him an idiot or bonehead. It's football; injuries are going to happen on any random play.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
No player with an ounce of competitive juice in them is going to slide at the one yard line. Coaches may not like it but players do it all the time with no injury. Just because it happened this one time doesn't mean you should call him an idiot or bonehead. It's football; injuries are going to happen on any random play.
I never called him an idiot and boneheaded is light. And yes a lot of great QB’s would slide on the 1 yard like in those situations or go down. It’s making the wise decision, and that’s what QB’s need to do, make good decisions. Actually, now that I think about it, I can recall Dixon going down at the 1 yard line when he could’ve fought for he touchdown but he played it smart. Stewart scored the next play. Now Dixon’s injury was a fluke, not Herbert’s.
Last edited by OregonFan4Life on Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
chapelhillduck
Senior

Post by chapelhillduck »

pezsez1 wrote:Hosted a family dinner tonight, so couldn't watch the game. Sounds like we picked right up from where we left off against WSU. Dang.

Did Nelson or Mitchell play? If so, did they matter AT ALL?
Yes

Nelson had one run for a few yards

Neither had a ball thrown their way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Will be interesting to see what happens with Royce the remainder of the season. One side says he is a stud for coming back, and showing his awesome running capabilities. The devil on the shoulder says this season is already in the tank, and he won’t be playing under the bright lights anytime soon, and he is playing for nothing, plus Love is killing him in conference stats. What does he have to gain at this point?
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
No player with an ounce of competitive juice in them is going to slide at the one yard line. Coaches may not like dives into the endzone but players do it all the time with no injury. Just because it happened this one time doesn't mean you should call him an idiot or bonehead. It's football; injuries are going to happen on any random play.
You are wasting your time when he gets this way.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
No player with an ounce of competitive juice in them is going to slide at the one yard line. Coaches may not like it but players do it all the time with no injury. Just because it happened this one time doesn't mean you should call him an idiot or bonehead. It's football; injuries are going to happen on any random play.
I never called him an idiot and boneheaded is light. And yes a lot of great QB’s would slide on the 1 yard like in those situations or go down. It’s making the wise decision, and that’s what QB’s need to do, make good decisions. Actually, now that I think about it, I can recall Dixon going down at the 1 yard line when he could’ve fought for he touchdown but he played it smart. Stewart scored the next play. Now Dixon’s injury was a fluke, not Herbert’s.
How was Dixon’s injury a fluke? He took a shot to directly to the knee while scrambling for a late first down against ASU. The ugly knee bend at UA was after the ACL was already torn.

Injuries happen. It sucks but it’s a part of football. I always want my QB to avoid the hit when they can but I’m not going to blame him and call him boneheaded for stretching for a first half TD.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Duck24 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
How was Dixon’s injury a fluke? He took a shot to directly to the knee while scrambling for a late first down against ASU. The ugly knee bend at UA was after the ACL was already torn.

Injuries happen. It sucks but it’s a part of football. I always want my QB to avoid the hit when they can but I’m not going to blame him and call him boneheaded for stretching for a first half TD.
Remember where Mariota went flying into the end zone? Or when masoli would truck DBs? Gotta let the QB play to win
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Guess we’ll all have to agree to disagree. After hearing NFL analysts and scouts analyze a QB’s ability to avoid injuries for the last few years I just thought fans would place more importance on it. I get injuries happen and Herbert isn’t the only one to suffer avoidable injuries, but I just feel like by now QB’s should know better than to make themselves vulnerable to big hits and injuries. And I was at that Wyoming game when Mariota dove, that was IMO boneheaded of him too.