Winning & Losing

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

picksix
Three Star Recruit

Winning & Losing

Post by picksix »

It seems as though trends for recruits have changed more recently than in the past where you would see verbal commits decommit and leave to another school that's winning and or has more promise for playoffs or bowl games. I'm curious to get your thoughts if we will lose any of our commits soley on our record ( losses ) and where we stand in the Pac-12 North? I think Taggert and his staff are building something special here, but might not see the results for a couple years. I feel like everyone has bought in too what coaches are doing, but there's that fear of losing some recruits when the team is not doing well. Hopefully all new guys coming in feel like they can start something special again here at Oregon with a real good coaching staff. Recruiting has been awesome and I hope they all remain DUCK's!! I predict we are back in the college football playoffs in 2-3 years.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Winning & Losing

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I don’t think so, I mean unless recruits are seeing something in the losses giving them concerns about the coaches, but I think recruits are getting more focused on playing time and exposure these days because that’s the path to the NFL. Bama doesn’t get recruits cause of their national championships, but because they put players in the NFL. And it works for them, cause they can meet that promise to their recruits and win championships in the process, win win right? I’m sure recruits see how thin Oregon is at multiple positions and that makes them excited to come here and play right away. You could also argue that with Oregon’s losses, they were just a few pieces away, and if those few pieces at different positions come in, that’ll cause the losses to turn into wins. We may lose a recruit or two cause that always seems to happen, but the overall quality of the recruiting class shouldn’t drop much in my opinion. You could argue the most concerning thing that could cause us to lose recruits is the late starts reducing exposure. Larry Scott is really ruining the conference.
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

picksix wrote:It seems as though trends for recruits have changed more recently than in the past where you would see verbal commits decommit and leave to another school that's winning and or has more promise for playoffs or bowl games. I'm curious to get your thoughts if we will lose any of our commits soley on our record ( losses ) and where we stand in the Pac-12 North? I think Taggert and his staff are building something special here, but might not see the results for a couple years. I feel like everyone has bought in too what coaches are doing, but there's that fear of losing some recruits when the team is not doing well. Hopefully all new guys coming in feel like they can start something special again here at Oregon with a real good coaching staff. Recruiting has been awesome and I hope they all remain DUCK's!! I predict we are back in the college football playoffs in 2-3 years.
It's highly doubtful given that Taggart infused a sense of positive momentum around the program that is hard to lose after one season. Winning does beget good recruiting, but good recruiters also beget good recruiting, particularly when they can point to a program that is closer to regaining competitiveness than the record or a couple scoreboard blowouts might indicate. I'd say your optimism is well founded for now.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Would it help recruiting if we could have won 8-9 games this year? Yes. Might have gotten one or two key guys...maybe. But most these kids have surely done their homework and know exactly what happened here during the Helf years and know exactly how bad we were last year at 4-8. We were the worst team in the PAC last year. On top of it, the players quit and there was a fractured locker room. The new recruits all committed to the new coaches. Not an 8-9 win team. Had our season gone great and we won more games than expected, we maybe convince on or two major recruits who we might miss on. But if a kid de-commits, it won't be because of wins and losses.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Regarding our WL record, the recruits are probably smart enough to comprehend that if Herbert wasn't injured, our record would be much better. Just like if USC or UW lost their starting QB, they'd probably be in a hole as well.

As for the recruits who will decommit or change their minds from originally signing with us, because of our record this year, they probably were not fully dedicated to coming into the program and embracing the culture in the first place or smart enough to realize how big of an impact losing a starting QB would have on a team's record. So we might lose a few of the kids who want instant gratification and glamour, but we should still be able to hold/get the kids who really bought into the vision for the program and evolving culture.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

ifuwant2 wrote:Would it help recruiting if we could have won 8-9 games this year? Yes. Might have gotten one or two key guys...maybe. But most these kids have surely done their homework and know exactly what happened here during the Helf years and know exactly how bad we were last year at 4-8. We were the worst team in the PAC last year. On top of it, the players quit and there was a fractured locker room. The new recruits all committed to the new coaches. Not an 8-9 win team. Had our season gone great and we won more games than expected, we maybe convince on or two major recruits who we might miss on. But if a kid de-commits, it won't be because of wins and losses.
It would be hard to get any better than the class is going to be this year, as long as everyone stay committed. I think most kids are giving the coaches the benefit of knowing that they were left a rebuilding job, without much depth at the key position in all of sports.