12%
No
88%

Total votes: 60
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Re: Fire Taggart

Post by Oregonian »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Uhhh.... did you see what Helf did when we had Lockie at QB. The good news is that you didn't watch the 2nd half of the TCU game apparently.
Well, for three straight games we've now underscored Helf's lowest scoring output as coach...
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

And people think that I overreact!

Are there a few concerning aspects? Yes, even the most reasonablen poster on here in my opinion, Peszes (spelling?) thinks there are. But there are so many examples where the players simply didn’t execute and for the first time Taggert showed real frustration. He knew his players weren’t executing and Helf may have ruined them more than we realized. On a crucial 3rd down they called a reverse to Mitchell and Crosby went out to block and he looked like he was on a nice Sunday jog. If he tries, they get the first down. And Braxton is insane, literally insane. He tries the same thing over and over and over again expecting a different result. Quit throwing the deep sideline ball 5 yards over the receivers’ heads! It will not work! Willie has a QB that will never be P5 starting level because he does not learn. Maybe some of that is on the coaches? I don’t know, but Braxton has showed each week he will never be a legit starting QB for a P5 team. This is crazy to think people want Taggart fired.
gofightingducks
All Pac-12

Post by gofightingducks »

Really? And seven people voted yes. lol
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

OregonFan4Life wrote:And people think that I overreact!

Are there a few concerning aspects? Yes, even the most reasonablen poster on here in my opinion, Peszes (spelling?) thinks there are. But there are so many examples where the players simply didn’t execute and for the first time Taggert showed real frustration. He knew his players weren’t executing and Helf may have ruined them more than we realized. On a crucial 3rd down they called a reverse to Mitchell and Crosby went out to block and he looked like he was on a nice Sunday jog. If he tries, they get the first down. And Braxton is insane, literally insane. He tries the same thing over and over and over again expecting a different result. Quit throwing the deep sideline ball 5 yards over the receivers’ heads! It will not work! Willie has a QB that will never be P5 starting level because he does not learn. Maybe some of that is on the coaches? I don’t know, but Braxton has showed each week he will never be a legit starting QB for a P5 team. This is crazy to think people want Taggart fired.
You do realize Helf never coached Burmeister, right? That's 100% on this staff.

I don't think any staff should be fired until year 3-4 at a minimum, but this narrative of blaming Helf for our current problems is getting old. They've been coaching these kids for a while now, and we're outputting offensively worse than Helf ever did.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Oregonian wrote:

I don't think any staff should be fired until year 3-4 at a minimum, but this narrative of blaming Helf for our current problems is getting old. They've been coaching these kids for a while now, and we're outputting offensively worse than Helf ever did.
Yeah how dare people blame Helf for leaving the stable empty at TE, WR, DL, ILB, safety and backup QB. And the CB were coached up just enough to suck. A good coach wins with walk ons, who needs talent. Talent is so overrated. And our OL isn't exactly the whos who of big time recruits.
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Oregonian wrote:

Yeah how dare people blame Helf for leaving the stable empty at TE, WR, DL, ILB, safety and backup QB. And the CB were coached up just enough to suck. A good coach wins with walk ons, who needs talent. Talent is so overrated.
With the exception of the TE position, the offense coming into this year was substantively the same as it was last year at virtually every position (if not better on OL with Crosby back) when WT took over and yet we've gone 3 straight games underscoring Helf's lowest point totals. That's not on Helf, that's on the current staff.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Oregonian wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
Oregonian wrote:

Yeah how dare people blame Helf for leaving the stable empty at TE, WR, DL, ILB, safety and backup QB. And the CB were coached up just enough to suck. A good coach wins with walk ons, who needs talent. Talent is so overrated.
With the exception of the TE position, the offense coming into this year was substantively the same as it was last year at virtually every position (if not better on OL with Crosby back) when WT took over and yet we've gone 3 straight games underscoring Helf's lowest point totals. That's not on Helf, that's on the current staff.
WTH? Not even close to the truth. But I guess missing Carrington, Brown and Allen is no big deal? With Nelson hurt, the rest of our WR coming into the year had 3 total catches last year. So even with bottom of the confrence talent at WR and TE, we still lead the confrence and country in scoring with Herbert. We scored 35 on ASU who oh look there, held UW to 7 and Utah to 10 points. ASU will probably win the south. The O was still moving right along.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bigwaved
Four Star Recruit

Post by Bigwaved »

Oregonian wrote:
This is not even remotely accurate.
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Oregonian wrote:
WTH? Not even close to the truth. But I guess missing Carrington, Brown and Allen is no big deal? even with bottom of the confrence talent at WR and TE, we still lead the confrence and country in scoring with Herbert. We scored 35 on ASU who oh look there, held UW to 7 and Utah to 10 points. ASU will probably win the south. The O was still moving right along.
2/3 of the guys you listed were here when WT took over. He booted one of them and couldn't convince the other to stay. The one that wasn't here didn't even play for 75% of last season.

I can't believe I even have to make this point. This board was drowning in over optimism before this season kicked off because of how many players we returned. We were literally ranked in the top 3 in returning production coming into this season. And again, even when Helf got himself into the dearth of talent at QB during the Lockie/Alie nadir, we literally never scored this few points even once.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Outside of Nelson, we returned 6 total catches from last year. We lost our entire receiving core.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Oregonian wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
Oregonian wrote:
WTH? Not even close to the truth. But I guess missing Carrington, Brown and Allen is no big deal? even with bottom of the confrence talent at WR and TE, we still lead the confrence and country in scoring with Herbert. We scored 35 on ASU who oh look there, held UW to 7 and Utah to 10 points. ASU will probably win the south. The O was still moving right along.
2/3 of the guys you listed were here when WT took over. He booted one of them and couldn't convince the other to stay. The one that wasn't here didn't even play for 75% of last season.

I can't believe I even have to make this point. This board was drowning in over optimism before this season kicked off because of how many players we returned. We were literally ranked in the top 3 in returning production coming into this season. And again, even when Helf got himself into the dearth of talent at QB during the Lockie/Alie nadir, we literally never scored this few points even once.
If we had Lockie at quarterback right now, we'd probably be seeing Lockie-like production from the offense. We'd be sitting on 17 points instead of 14.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Oregonian wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
Oregonian wrote:

Again wrong. Carrington ran Brown off.
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

buckmarkduck wrote: Again wrong. Carrington ran Brown off.
Yeah, and how'd he do that?
mrpd21
Five Star Recruit

Post by mrpd21 »

JHop's 3 Bright Spots:

There's too much negativity in the world and it's easy to just pile on with the 'mob' mentality. Sure loss is never easy. To be great, you don't just accept playing the game and getting a participation trophy.

I'm not that kind of parent.

But I do some things out of this team that give me reason to remain optimistic. And at the moment, I'll take that sliver of hope.

Don't worry I'll be critical in my grades and other breakdowns of this game. But for now, here's the three bright spots from this game.

Penalties Cut Down
These have just been killer. The Ducks were flagged for 3 times for only 15 yards in this contest. At least we can't circle back to this game and say, 'penalties cost us this game.'

So at the very least it means the staff is working on these things in practice and trying to fix them. And more importantly it means the team is listening. That's about all you can ask for at this point in time.

This Team Doesn't Quit
I love what I'm seeing even late in the fourth quarter from this team. At one point with Oregon down 14-0, you felt like the wind had been taken out of the sails. But then Burmesiter led this team down the field and managed to get back to back scores in the 2nd quarter to tie the game up.

One thing we can all appreciate from last year is a team that quits mid-way through a game. I can live with a loss if the team is showing fight. We saw Royce Freeman and company out there fighting even when the cards were stacked against them.

The Future is Bright
This team is playing way too many freshman to win games. It just is.

I mean a couple of guys maybe starting or playing good minutes, that's pretty typical. But Oregon is relying on way too much youth on a consistent basis for their not to be freshman moments.

Especially when your quarterback is a year removed from playing high school football in San Diego.

The good news is this experience and these reps are invaluable. You can't get this type of experience in practice. To be able to get into a game and from week to week make mistakes to learn from, will only make this group stronger.

Each week win or lose, this team is learning and building the groundwork for the future.

Now if Willie Taggart can keep that 2018 recruiting class together, these Ducks might just have something going in 2018 or 2019.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Oregonian wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote: Again wrong. Carrington ran Brown off.
Yeah, and how'd he do that?
Brown played the same WR spot as Carrington so Brown transferred because he didn't to possibly sit behind Darren for another year. That now appears short-sighted.