Reality Check

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Reality Check

Post by SuperDuck »

I hate to lose, but it's not like we were expected to win all of these games before the season started anyway. The loss to ASU may come back to bite us as far as getting to a Bowl Game goes, but Herbert played the entire game, we just let that one get away.

Few people expected us to beat WSU or Stanford either, though I'd argue that the WSU game would have been much more competitive if Herbert had played and we may have had a chance of winning.

That being said, by most fans and experts, we were expected to be 5-3 or 6-2 right now. So even if Herbert was healthy and we'd beaten UCLA yesterday, we'd be at 5-3.

Being 4-4 is going to make getting to a Bowl Game tough. We still have Utah, UW and a couple of inspired Arizona and OSU left to play. If Herbert comes back for Utah I think we'll have a chance to win that game and finish either 6-6 or 7-5. If not, we're going to have trouble getting to 6-6.

Hoping for the best. A Bowl Game gives teams 15(?) additional practices and a bit of prestige. We could use both.
John 3:36
Merganzer
Senior

Re: Reality Check

Post by Merganzer »

Yes, to a reality check, and another reality is that ASU appears to be a lot better, along with Arizona and Cal, then they were thought to be early in the season. The Pac-12 is very competitive this season, and the Ducks are playing with a freshman quarterback.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Merganzer wrote:Yes, to a reality check, and another reality is that ASU appears to be a lot better, along with Arizona and Cal, then they were thought to be early in the season. The Pac-12 is very competitive this season, and the Ducks are playing with a freshman quarterback.
While competive I think SC is showing us just how bad the confrence is this year.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

buckmarkduck wrote:
Merganzer wrote:Yes, to a reality check, and another reality is that ASU appears to be a lot better, along with Arizona and Cal, then they were thought to be early in the season. The Pac-12 is very competitive this season, and the Ducks are playing with a freshman quarterback.
While competive I think SC is showing us just how bad the confrence is this year.
That's right, competitive doesn't always = good.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Exactly. Cal gets destroyed by Oregon and then destroys WSU. ASU is playing a LOT better since the beginning of the season. I'm sure they're wishing they could replay the losses to Texas Tech and San Diego State. They play USC next week and I wouldn't be surprised to see them win that game, too.
John 3:36
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

SuperDuck wrote:
Exactly. Cal gets destroyed by Oregon and then destroys WSU. ASU is playing a LOT better since the beginning of the season. I'm sure they're wishing they could replay the losses to Texas Tech and San Diego State. They play USC next week and I wouldn't be surprised to see them win that game, too.
The Trojans, again, not coming close to the pre-season hype. It was ridiculous that going in to the game against Notre Dame that the Trojans were ranked higher. Darnold had a great season last year, but he's middle of the Pac, as far as this season goes.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

I totally get you, but in their defense they turned in a pretty darn goof performance in the rose bowl last year against Penn State. Not too many significant departures to either squad this year? They're probably just uninspired right now?
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

A couple of weeks ago I saw a USC injury list. It was 20 names long. Most of them 1st or 2nd stringers. I ain't making excuses for USC, but not even USC has that kind of depth to beat good teams every week. They've had some rotten luck there. Couldn't happen to a better team though.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

ducks5ever wrote:I totally get you, but in their defense they turned in a pretty darn goof performance in the rose bowl last year against Penn State. Not too many significant departures to either squad this year? They're probably just uninspired right now?
They actually did have some big departures. Not many team can overcome losing their best two players in JuJu Smith and Adoree Jackson.
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

ifuwant2 wrote:A couple of weeks ago I saw a USC injury list. It was 20 names long. Most of them 1st or 2nd stringers. I ain't making excuses for USC, but not even USC has that kind of depth to beat good teams every week. They've had some rotten luck there. Couldn't happen to a better team though.
This. It's not an excuse, but it is an explanation - just like every Oregon fan points to Herbert's injury when discussing the recent losses.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

Buck, thanks for the clarification I completely forgot about that.
ouch that hurts, we can certainly relate.....
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

I am out of the country so not been able to watch. I thought was likely we would lose the last 3 games before the season started and now with the injuries was almost a guarantee we would. Not in favor of firing the coaches. Sure there are some legitimate concerns but don't think should be fired yet. Ask me next year and see what think.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I think the Reality Check is that this team for as flawed as it seems to be, might be 7-1 if Herbert was healthy and that's pretty much at the top and outside of anyone's realistic projections for this team going in. No, we aren't 7-1 but I'm not even willing to call it a bad year right now with how the last year has played out. Sure, it's been frustrating to watch the offense at times but it should make everyone appreciate how good Justin is too.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Duck07 wrote:I think the Reality Check is that this team for as flawed as it seems to be, might be 7-1 if Herbert was healthy and that's pretty much at the top and outside of anyone's realistic projections for this team going in. No, we aren't 7-1 but I'm not even willing to call it a bad year right now with how the last year has played out. Sure, it's been frustrating to watch the offense at times but it should make everyone appreciate how good Justin is too.

spot on for me....
EncinitasDuck
Five Star Recruit

Post by EncinitasDuck »

Duck07 wrote:I think the Reality Check is that this team for as flawed as it seems to be, might be 7-1 if Herbert was healthy and that's pretty much at the top and outside of anyone's realistic projections for this team going in. No, we aren't 7-1 but I'm not even willing to call it a bad year right now with how the last year has played out. Sure, it's been frustrating to watch the offense at times but it should make everyone appreciate how good Justin is too.
One of your best posts ever IMO