13%
D
1%

Total votes: 72
Duck07
All-American

Re: Grading Taggart

Post by Duck07 »

karlhungis wrote:I gave him an A and it is mainly bolstered by the insane recruiting class that he has put together. Otherwise, I would go B+/A-. I think, given the hand he was dealt, it's difficult to have hoped for much more. Going into the year, I was hoping for 8 wins and it looks like that is what we will get. I don't think it is unreasonable to think we could have been a 10 win team with a healthy QB.

Has he been perfect? No. But he has done a great job in resurrecting the program.
It actually seems quite plausible we could have gotten that many wins which seems pretty remarkable from where we were all at 51 weeks ago. It is 2 games too early based on where we're at today but I'm not sure how much more people could have expected going into this year versus what has happened.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

FlDuckFan wrote:
GoDucksIn09 wrote:I said C because of the loss to ASU... I thought we would go 8-4 to start the season or 7-5. The play calling and second half adjustments are still huge concern. The recruiting if keep them all would certainly be an A.

I gave a C for the exact same reasons.
Really? A guy takes over a program with zero WR, a team that got lucky to win 4'games last year and he gets a c? I can confidently say if Helf was still here we'd have 2-3 wins tops. That seems like at least a B grade to me. And then you add the fact he took over and managed to land a top 20 class and this year he'll land the highest ranked class ever at UO, I give him a A.
Last edited by buckmarkduck on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I think a B+ is a fair grade. Straight fire on the recruiting trail and some solid performances on the field. Most importantly, even though we've struggled this year, I've never seen the team give up. They were always fighting.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

A for recruiting, C for most everything else, B+ overall at this point. Still concerned about his Rich Brooks-esque play calling at times.

Edit due to fat fingers...
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
UofDuck
Senior

Grading Taggart

Post by UofDuck »

He’s not just recruiting players better than any coach in school history, his assistant coaching recruiting was a grand slam. You guys crack me up with halftime adjustments complaints. Hall of Fame coaches like Sabin admits that halftime adjustments are minimal at best. He’s often said fans over-rate what a coach can do at halftime. A team is what team is and you play to your strengths. The best coach can do at half time is find small twists in their scheme to exploit what he saw in the first half. It’s not a magic dust that changes an entire season’s scheme. To top it off, it’s assistance working with coordinators who do the heavy lifting. The head coach is the CEO and Willey has done a fantastic job resurrecting a corporation that was a dumpster fire this year. Herbert going down changed everything. This team was so thin, it suffered greatly. Willey’s recruiting, with his incredible recruiting assistants, will change our depth in spades. He gets an A- from me. No coach is perfect. You only get an A+ if everything is nearly perfect.

Remember, most recognize Sabin’s schemes are pretty basic, but he recruits studs to run it and he wins. Give Willey a few years and watch what happens.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

UofDuck wrote:He’s not just recruiting players better than any coach in school history, his assistant coaching recruiting was a grand slam. You guys crack me up with halftime adjustments complaints. Hall of Fame coaches like Sabin admits that halftime adjustments are minimal at best. He’s often said fans over-rate what a coach can do at halftime. A team is what team is and you play to your strengths. The best coach can do at half time is find small twists in their scheme to exploit what he saw in the first half. It’s not a magic dust that changes an entire season’s scheme. To top it off, it’s assistance working with coordinators who do the heavy lifting. The head coach is the CEO and Willey has done a fantastic job resurrecting a corporation that was a dumpster fire this year. Herbert going down changed everything. This team was so thin, it suffered greatly. Willey’s recruiting, with his incredible recruiting assistants, will change our depth in spades. He gets an A- from me. No coach is perfect. You only get an A+ if everything is nearly perfect.

Remember, most recognize Sabin’s schemes are pretty basic, but he recruits studs to run it and he wins. Give Willey a few years and watch what happens.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

No 2nd half adjustments doe..
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Phenom wrote:
No 2nd half adjustments doe..
Let's start a gofund me for his buyout.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

Some excellent points by Phenom and Buckmark....as well as many others. I guess the one thing that is the concern for me, is that while Herbert was hurt, we didn't see much adapting to whatever skill they thought Burmeister has. Injuries are a part of the game.. Coach has to be able to adapt to a degree or try but it seemed nothing was being tried. It was the same thing every game.
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Some excellent points by Phenom and Buckmark....as well as many others. I guess the one thing that is the concern for me, is that while Herbert was hurt, we didn't see much adapting to whatever skill they thought Burmeister has. Injuries are a part of the game.. Coach has to be able to adapt to a degree or try but it seemed nothing was being tried. It was the same thing every game.
I mean Mike McCarthy is one of the best coaches in the NFL and he can't seem to get anything going with Brett Hundley. I think Burmiester is just that bad and we are looking too much into it but only time will tell
Return Of the Quack!
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:I said C because of the loss to ASU... I thought we would go 8-4 to start the season or 7-5. The play calling and second half adjustments are still huge concern. The recruiting if keep them all would certainly be an A.
Recruiting is an A (so far)

Game planning, play calling, adjustments (C) at best.

Overall avg: B
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

jimmy12 wrote:
Recruiting is an A (so far)

Game planning, play calling, adjustments (C) at best.

Overall avg: B
Is that strictly on offense or does that include the defense? What's gone on the defensive side of the ball is far more noteworthy to me than what happened with Burmeister at QB.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Recruiting - A+

Being Chip Kelly - F

Overall - A
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I gave him a "B"

Recruiting "A"

Hiring coaching staff "A+"

Play calling and game planning "B". He couldn't help Herbert's injury. He had two QB's Jump ship and was stuck with a "I don't know all the play book" Braxton

Involving the Ducks fan base "A+"

A "B" may be a little low.........