Pac-12 Bowl Ties 2017

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Pac-12 Bowl Ties 2017

Post by SuperDuck »

Pac-12 Bowl Ties

The Rose Bowl is a College Football Playoff semifinal – there’s no rule that the Pac-12 gets a team in this season. Note: The Rose Bowl is part of the CFP this year, so the Pac-12 champ, assuming that there isn't complete chaos, should wind up in the Fiesta Bowl.

1. Valero Alamo Bowl vs. Big 12
2. National University Holiday Bowl vs. Big Ten
3. Foster Farms Bowl vs. Big Ten
4. Hyundai Sun Bowl vs. ACC
5. Las Vegas Bowl vs. Mountain West
6. Motel 6 Cactus Bowl vs. Big 12

Assuming USC, UW or WSU wins the conference championship and goes to the Fiesta Bowl, that would leave the other 2 to face Oklahoma, Okie State or TCU. Tough matchup. Should be a great game.

The #3 from the Pac-12 could mathematically play Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Northwestern or Iowa. Again, tough matchup, but should make for a great game.

The #4 matchup vs the ACC is wide open. Virginia Tech, Louisville, NC State, Wake Forest and a couple other teams are in the mix, as is Clemson. That's a real longshot, but if they were to lose to South Carolina this weekend and then to Miami in the ACC championship they'd be a 3 loss team. You just never know.

The #5 option is the one I dislike the most. That's a likely matchup vs Boise State OR Fresno State and Jeff Tedford. It just seems like there's nothing for the Pac-12 to gain with games like this and a lot to lose. I'd rather lose to a Big-5 conference team (or WIN) vs playing Boise State. Ugh.

The #6 is no pushover either. It'll be UO, UA, ASU, etc vs one of those beasts mentioned above.

It's going to be a challenging Bowl season for the Pac-12 this year no matter how it works out.
John 3:36
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Re: Pac-12 Bowl Ties 2017

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I’m hoping for the Vegas Bowl against a ranked Boise State! Beating a ranked team would be good, but I don’t care about how the nation would view that, I still remember 08 and 09 and I wanna see Oregon crush Boise State!
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I’m hoping for the Vegas Bowl against a ranked Boise State! Beating a ranked team would be good, but I don’t care about how the nation would view that, I still remember 08 and 09 and I wanna see Oregon crush Boise State!
I'd be terrified of the alternative. If we lost to them a third time it would be really bad publicity. The talk of Oregon's demise would start all over again. I'd really rather not risk it. Make no mistake, Boise State is a GOOD team. They only lost by 3 to WSU earlier this year. I hope we don't have to play them.
John 3:36
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I’m hoping for the Vegas Bowl against a ranked Boise State! Beating a ranked team would be good, but I don’t care about how the nation would view that, I still remember 08 and 09 and I wanna see Oregon crush Boise State!
Wouldn’t that be terrible recruiting wise given the date of the bowl and the big 12/15 recruiting visitor list?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Yeah, we want anything but Vegas. Early signing day is right on the heels of that recruiting weekend with 20+ guys coming in. Any chance we get the sun bowl?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Just did a quick search and every site had either Vegas against Boise or cactus against West Virginia. I think all of us would much prefer the latter.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

SuperDuck wrote:Assuming USC, UW or WSU wins the conference championship and goes to the Fiesta Bowl, that would leave the other 2 to face Oklahoma, Okie State or TCU. Tough matchup. Should be a great game.
FYI, UW cannot win the Pac-12 this season. Stanford could, though.
Oregonian
Four Star Recruit

Post by Oregonian »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Just did a quick search and every site had either Vegas against Boise or cactus against West Virginia. I think all of us would much prefer the latter.
From a recruiting perspective, sure, it's way better to be in the Cactus, but purely as a viewer / potential attendee, I think Vegas @ 3:30 EST on a Saturday is streets ahead of Phoenix @ 10PM the day after Christmas.
desertfan
Three Star Recruit

Post by desertfan »

I could be wrong but I don't think it's mathematicaly possible for Oregon to make the Vegas Bowl because both Arizona schools are 2 games ahead of us with only one conference game remaining, Pretty sure we are a lock for the Cactus Bowl assuming we take care of business and handle the beavs.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

desertfan wrote:I could be wrong but I don't think it's mathematicaly possible for Oregon to make the Vegas Bowl because both Arizona schools are 2 games ahead of us with only one conference game remaining, Pretty sure we are a lock for the Cactus Bowl assuming we take care of business and handle the beavs.
I can't imagine the Cactus Bowl wanting either Arizona school. One campus is less than a two hour drive, the other is 20 minutes. Either would negatively impact the lodging and restaurant business associated with bowl games.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

If we are selected to play in the vegas bowl, are we allowed to decline the invitation and wait for a later date, different bowl game invitation?
DAT#6
Four Star Recruit

Post by DAT#6 »

desertfan wrote:I could be wrong but I don't think it's mathematicaly possible for Oregon to make the Vegas Bowl because both Arizona schools are 2 games ahead of us with only one conference game remaining, Pretty sure we are a lock for the Cactus Bowl assuming we take care of business and handle the beavs.

I am pretty sure you are correct, in that if the PAC 12 has one team in the New Years 6, that we will safely be locked into the Cactus Bowl, which would be great. The problems arise if the PAC is able to get two teams into the New Years 6, as that would move everyone up one spot.

I want that recruiting weekend right before the early signing period, so here is my want list:

Notre Dame over Stanford
WSU over UW (Duh)
USC over WSU

Other teams I want to win include, Auburn, Central Florida, and TCU.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

My understanding (Wilner) is that a non-conference winning Power 5 team has to at least be in the top 8 to possibly be invited to a NY6 bowl. That seems simply impossible for the Pac-12 this year.
DAT#6
Four Star Recruit

Post by DAT#6 »

Greenblood wrote:My understanding (Wilner) is that a non-conference winning Power 5 team has to at least be in the top 8 to possibly be invited to a NY6 bowl. That seems simply impossible for the Pac-12 this year.
O

That doesn't make sense to me. If you figure the top 8 get in, and Notre Dame and CFU get in, how do the other two spots get filled?
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

DAT#6 wrote:
Greenblood wrote:My understanding (Wilner) is that a non-conference winning Power 5 team has to at least be in the top 8 to possibly be invited to a NY6 bowl. That seems simply impossible for the Pac-12 this year.
O

That doesn't make sense to me. If you figure the top 8 get in, and Notre Dame and CFU get in, how do the other two spots get filled?
You may be right; I don't really feel like thinking it through right now. Here's the Wilner piece I drew that from: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... lamo-bowl/, which I posted in the Pac-12 Bowl Scenarios thread on The Other Guys board. Feel free to let me know if I'm misreading him, or if he's simply wrong.

And here are (I think) his most recent projections: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/11/21/b ... ome-chaos/

Here's CBS's current projections: https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootba ... redictions