Willie to FSU and who's going with him

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

wlduck
Sophomore

Re: Willie to FSU and who's going with him

Post by wlduck »

pezsez1 wrote:
Helfrich humilated our school by going 4-8 and having the players and coaches at each others' throats. He destroyed everything that Chip, Bellotti and Brooks had built.
That's a bit of a stretch to say he "destroyed everything" the others had built. He wasn't the first Oregon coach to have a bad season. And, as I said, he did so some good things. Heck, if it weren't for Helfrich, we'd have never had Marcus. I get it that you hated Helfrich, but you can't say with a straight face that he was a bigger mistake than Willie.

What did Willie do that was good? Absolutely nothing. We already knew that Eugene could be recruited to. Willie took the program at a time when it was in a precarious position and basically took a giant dump on it. He didn't even live up to the minimum of expectations.

EDIT: The one good thing Willie did was salvage the '16 recruiting class after Helfrich was fired, and he brought in a few players who will be really good for the next couple of years. But Helfrich did that, too, with more players.
I’ll name one HUGE thing Willy did. He showed what’s possible recruiting if you sell what you have here and don’t listen to the “it’s hard to get kids to Eugene” excuse. If we don’t hold the next coach to that standard then the Willy time will be for naught.
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Post by AutzenMember »

wlduck wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:
Helfrich humilated our school by going 4-8 and having the players and coaches at each others' throats. He destroyed everything that Chip, Bellotti and Brooks had built.
That's a bit of a stretch to say he "destroyed everything" the others had built. He wasn't the first Oregon coach to have a bad season. And, as I said, he did so some good things. Heck, if it weren't for Helfrich, we'd have never had Marcus. I get it that you hated Helfrich, but you can't say with a straight face that he was a bigger mistake than Willie.

What did Willie do that was good? Absolutely nothing. We already knew that Eugene could be recruited to. Willie took the program at a time when it was in a precarious position and basically took a giant dump on it. He didn't even live up to the minimum of expectations.

EDIT: The one good thing Willie did was salvage the '16 recruiting class after Helfrich was fired, and he brought in a few players who will be really good for the next couple of years. But Helfrich did that, too, with more players.
I’ll name one HUGE thing Willy did. He showed what’s possible recruiting if you sell what you have here and don’t listen to the “it’s hard to get kids to Eugene” excuse. If we don’t hold the next coach to that standard then the Willy time will be for naught.
He also brought a swagger back to the locker room and sidelines. That mental part of who Oregon is and aspires to be had eroded under Helf.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

AutzenMember wrote:
wlduck wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:

He also brought a swagger back to the locker room and sidelines. That mental part of who Oregon is and aspires to be had eroded under Helf.
This^^^^

Also, Leavitt proved that the defense CAN get teams off the field on 3rd down.
John 3:36
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

BlackbirdDuck wrote:
Phenom wrote:
BlackbirdDuck wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
BlackbirdDuck wrote:Which all of these stories about the type of person WT appears to be, maybe there is some truth to the story regarding WT addressing the Coach at Sheldon HS
What's that story I missed it.
I heard it from a very reliable person who witnessed the event, this person is a UO Alumnus, he played baseball years ago for the Ducks and has been part of the Eugene sports community for years. He has no reason to make this report up.
he really threw MJ Jr. under the bus like that?
Dang I copied and paste the wrong thing

Correct

WT actions at Sheldon HS football practices how he has been arrogant better then...... Challenging the Sheldon HC in front of the Sheldon players, the other Sheldon coaches regarding his kids playing time / Playing JV vs Varsity “I did not move my family all the way from Florida for this”
Sorry, I thought you were crazy when you told that story the first time. Didn't seem logical to me that a coach would go call out other coaches in front of everyone about starting his son over a player who was his own assistant coach's son. I mean, who would do that? Only an asshole.
Last edited by Groundswell on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ I mean Willie gets the last laugh, cause he just moved his family straight back to Florida to prove his point to the Sheldon coaches I guess.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

nvm
picksix
Three Star Recruit

Post by picksix »

GET RID OF THIS TAGGERT THREAD! Time to move on. #CoachCristobal
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

My final word on this thread... NFWT may have had hopes of bringing several of his Oregon assistants along for the ride.

He may be sadly (For himself and FSPOO) mistaken in his thoughts on who may follow.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

woundedknees wrote:My final word on this thread... NFWT may have had hopes of bringing several of his Oregon assistants along for the ride.

He may be sadly (For himself and FSPOO) mistaken in his thoughts on who may follow.
Yep he may get Leavitt and Clark but I would be suprised to see anyone besides those two and his people that he brought with him to leave. I would only really care about Leavitt and Clark he can have his people.