Willie to FSU and who's going with him

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

BlackbirdDuck
One Star Recruit

Re: Willie to FSU and who's going with him

Post by BlackbirdDuck »

FlDuckFan wrote:
BlackbirdDuck wrote:Which all of these stories about the type of person WT appears to be, maybe there is some truth to the story regarding WT addressing the Coach at Sheldon HS
What's that story I missed it.
I heard it from a very reliable person who witnessed the event, this person is a UO Alumnus, he played baseball years ago for the Ducks and has been part of the Eugene sports community for years. He has no reason to make this report up.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

greenyellow wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
BlackbirdDuck wrote:Which all of these stories about the type of person WT appears to be, maybe there is some truth to the story regarding WT addressing the Coach at Sheldon HS
Supposedly he was upset that Willie Jr. wasn't getting any varsity playing time and got into it with Sheldon's coaches at a few practices and games (basically along the lines of "I didn't move my family out here to not have him play" and "My son is better that those who are playing.") If any of this was directed toward's Michael Johnson's son, that's not going to sit well with MJ and may be why he sticks around should Cristobal becomes HC.
Totally not the point at all and he handled it the wrong way if true but.... As someone from Florida Whats the talent at Sheldon? I've heard they're really good so I assume he is jaded and biased.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

BlackbirdDuck wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
I heard it from a very reliable person who witnessed the event, this person is a UO Alumnus, he played baseball years ago for the Ducks and has been part of the Eugene sports community for years. He has no reason to make this report up.
he really threw MJ Jr. under the bus like that?
BlackbirdDuck
One Star Recruit

Post by BlackbirdDuck »

Phenom wrote:
BlackbirdDuck wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:
he really threw MJ Jr. under the bus like that?
Dang I copied and paste the wrong thing

Correct

WT actions at Sheldon HS football practices how he has been arrogant better then...... Challenging the Sheldon HC in front of the Sheldon players, the other Sheldon coaches regarding his kids playing time / Playing JV vs Varsity “I did not move my family all the way from Florida for this”
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

So what did Matt Mariota do that Willie was calling him out? Anyone know?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

WT actions at Sheldon HS football practices how he has been arrogant better then...... Challenging the Sheldon HC in front of the Sheldon players, the other Sheldon coaches regarding his kids playing time / Playing JV vs Varsity “I did not move my family all the way from Florida for this”
Doesn't surprise me one bit. Willie is a fraud. Biggest mistake in Oregon football history.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

pezsez1 wrote:
Doesn't surprise me one bit. Willie is a fraud. Biggest mistake in Oregon football history.
ugh? no. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Phenom wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:
ugh? no. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
Recent history maybe but not all of it.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'd love to see a separate thread about "Biggest Mistakes in Oregon Football History" and see where others rank Willie.

Gotta admit, he's got a lot going for him!

- We dumped our longtime, institutional coaching staff for him.
- We completely rebranded the football program with the lamest slogan ever.
- He managed to crater our recruiting class two weeks before the first-ever early signing period.
- His playcalling sucked without a future NFL QB under center.
- He allegedly drove off the younger brother of our most beloved Duck ever.
- Treated the Ducks like FSU's prison bitch.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

lol we have a better coaching staff now than we did last year.
We can easily rebrand.
We will save this class.

Helf was a way bigger mess.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Helfrich definitely created a mess, but at least he did some good things while he was here. He was a great coach for Mariota, and he regrouped the team after his underwhelming first year and got us to the national championship game (albeit not with his recruits).

Nobody can accuse Helfrich of being a lying fraud who humiliated our beloved university and treated it like a mid-major stepping stone.

Bad coaches happen. But Willie? Damn, what a mistake.
AutzenMember
Five Star Recruit

Post by AutzenMember »

WT Jr. is no where near the QB that MJ Jr. is. Not even close. WT Jr. is a sophomore who is athletic, but doesn't throw very well from what I've seen. MJ Jr. is one of the best dual threat QB's in the NW and possibly the country.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

pezsez1 wrote:Helfrich definitely created a mess, but at least he did some good things while he was here. He was a great coach for Mariota, and he regrouped the team after his underwhelming first year and got us to the national championship game (albeit not with his recruits).

Nobody can accuse Helfrich of being a lying fraud who humiliated our beloved university and treated it like a mid-major stepping stone.

Bad coaches happen. But Willie? Damn, what a mistake.
Helfrich humilated our school by going 4-8 and having the players and coaches at each others' throats. He destroyed everything that Chip, Bellotti and Brooks had built.

Helfrich did his best to make us a mid-major stepping stone.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

AutzenMember wrote:WT Jr. is no where near the QB that MJ Jr. is. Not even close. WT Jr. is a sophomore who is athletic, but doesn't throw very well from what I've seen. MJ Jr. is one of the best dual threat QB's in the NW and possibly the country.
Nemec has said that it might be a good thing for him that Willie Jr is leaving because he said Willie Jr isn't a Pac-12 level talent and it would have been awkward ranking the HC's son so low among the state's other recruits.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Helfrich humilated our school by going 4-8 and having the players and coaches at each others' throats. He destroyed everything that Chip, Bellotti and Brooks had built.
That's a bit of a stretch to say he "destroyed everything" the others had built. He wasn't the first Oregon coach to have a bad season. And, as I said, he did so some good things. Heck, if it weren't for Helfrich, we'd have never had Marcus. I get it that you hated Helfrich, but you can't say with a straight face that he was a bigger mistake than Willie.

What did Willie do that was good? Absolutely nothing. We already knew that Eugene could be recruited to. Willie took the program at a time when it was in a precarious position and basically took a giant dump on it. He didn't even live up to the minimum of expectations.

EDIT: The one good thing Willie did was salvage the '16 recruiting class after Helfrich was fired, and he brought in a few players who will be really good for the next couple of years. But Helfrich did that, too, with more players.