Who do you want as the HC at Oregon next year?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UofO8
Senior

Re: Who do you want as the HC at Oregon next year?

Post by UofO8 »

good lord, If Sumlin gets hired :| :roll:
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Lenzy said that Oregon was one of the few schools where all the coaches, not just his future position coaches, talked to him multiple times. Said that Charles Clark even helped him out in getting a girl. How can you not like a coach like that?
Duckattack7
Five Star Recruit

Post by Duckattack7 »

Man would this have been a dream situation if chip was still on the market..... But I think I’m on the Mario bandwagon.
Return Of the Quack!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

greenyellow wrote:Listening to MJ Cunningham and Braden Lenzy on Andrew Nemec's show talk about the coaching situation and they say there's two coaching options to keep about 80% of the class: 1) hire one of the current coaches as HC and they keep most of the current staff together or 2) hire a new coach and they retain most of the staff. The third option they gave was the worst one as they said over 80% of the class would likely decommit and not come back if a completely new staff was hired. Most frequently mentioned names they threw out there were Cristobal, Arroyo, Leavitt, and Heyward.
We shouldn't hire a coach just in an attempt to save one recruiting class though. We did a total reset last year, and we had some decommits but long term we could/should have been better off and we ended up actually moving up in the recruiting rankings from where Helf had us. Not exactly the same situation but LSU did the same with Orgeron and most are already disappointed there. USC likely should have done better than Clay Helton but went with an incumbent. I've stated that I'm alright with retaining Cristobal, but I still am not sold that it's the best long term prospect for us.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

With the poor coaching pool available for hire and what the program has already been through with firings and coaching changes in the past year, having a little continuity with the remaining staff may be what the program needs.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

From the man of the hour himself:
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

I agree that you have to go for the best person whether they're on staff or not. Would Sumlin really be that person though? I think not. I say we check out Brohm. If it doesn't work out, promote Cristobal and let him know he needs to find an elite DC.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

If they hire harsin...
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

OregonFan4Life wrote:Sounds like it’s between Cristobal and Sumlin.
Some are saying it's Wilcox or harsin. Welcome to mediocrity if that's how it goes
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Ugh, who is saying that?

Just pay for Matt Campbell's buyout or something. Swing for the fences, or keep Cristobal for continuity but please don't just settle.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Ugh, who is saying that?

Just pay for Matt Campbell's buyout or something. Swing for the fences, or keep Cristobal for continuity but please don't just settle.

I don't think anyone really knows

But Wilcox is definitely in the mix and sounds like they've already interviewed harsin
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

I love how the current staff hasn't seemed to miss a beat recruiting. Keep them as many here, bottom line.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Duckenstein wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Ugh, who is saying that?

I don't think anyone really knows

But Wilcox is definitely in the mix and sounds like they've already interviewed harsin
Wilcox can only be in the mix because he's a Duck and we don't want to alienate him. If he's a serious candidate the two PK's need to just donate money and get the F away from the program.

Listening to Scott Frost's speech/interview at Nebraska one of the phrases he used was the time was right and I agree with that. Right now is not Wilcox striking while the iron is hot and I'd interview him too and make him feel like he was a serious candidate because it does nothing for us to shun him.
RanDux
Senior

Post by RanDux »

AutzenMember wrote:
Phenom wrote:Definitely take Cristobal out of anyone on that list. The only close one is Sumlin but I don't like his vibe. If ya'll thought Willie was slick...

The others I would not like. I don't mind Leach's attitude or even his political views (although I do not agree) but it's more of his teams always choking at crucial points.
It's called Cougin it, and Leach inherited that from the school. With the talent that Oregon gets (far better than the recruits they get to Pullman) it would be interesting to see how dominating the air raid could be in Eugene. Not that I endorse him, just that it would be interesting how inflated the passing stats would be.
And we would have QB recruits begging to come here. Not saying I want Leach though.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

RanDux wrote:
AutzenMember wrote:
Phenom wrote:Definitely take Cristobal out of anyone on that list. The only close one is Sumlin but I don't like his vibe. If ya'll thought Willie was slick...

The others I would not like. I don't mind Leach's attitude or even his political views (although I do not agree) but it's more of his teams always choking at crucial points.
It's called Cougin it, and Leach inherited that from the school. With the talent that Oregon gets (far better than the recruits they get to Pullman) it would be interesting to see how dominating the air raid could be in Eugene. Not that I endorse him, just that it would be interesting how inflated the passing stats would be.
And we would have QB recruits begging to come here. Not saying I want Leach though.
I would take leach over sumlin, sumlin is not an exciting prospect for me.