Who do you want as the HC at Oregon next year?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pezsez1
All Pac-12

Re: Who do you want as the HC at Oregon next year?

Post by pezsez1 »

Cristobal is considered one of, if not the best recruiter in the nation.
Totally aware of this. I'm just saying, choosing a different person to lead the program might give us just as good of a chance of salvaging this class.

I doubt whoever lands the job will be able to keep most of it together. I know that's what usually happens, but the new early signing date combined with our inopportune bowl berth -- and the way Willie lied to recruits -- creates the perfect shitstorm for us.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

pezsez1 wrote:
Totally aware of this. I'm just saying, choosing a different person to lead the program might give us just as good of a chance of salvaging this class.

I doubt whoever lands the job will be able to keep most of it together. I know that's what usually happens, but the new early signing date combined with our inopportune bowl berth -- and the way Willie lied to recruits -- creates the perfect shitstorm for us.

Fair but another way of looking at is.. Christobal has probubly already talked and visited some
or most of these recruits. Someone new to program most likely has not. Mario has built a repore with
recruits and gained their trust most likely. He would be better for doing damage control. He also
has spent 1 year with current players. They also get on social media with recruits. There really isnt
enough time to start over. Mario is a good coach. He's a great recruiter. If the players who spend a lot
of time with the coaches trust him and are for him why not?
vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Post by vegasdom »

Phenom wrote:
pezsez1 wrote:We don't NEED Cristobal to keep this recruiting class together. Heck, we don't even know if he's capable.

We just need a good recruiter who can sell a vision. Remember how Willie came in and salvaged Helfrich's floundering class? No reason why a guy like Sumlin couldn't do the same thing, right?
Of what? O linemen?
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Why does anyone want someone who just got fired? I mean for reals? What does that say about the program? He wasn't good enough for meh Texas A&M but he's the guy for this great program? C'mon now.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Sounds like it’s between Cristobal and Sumlin.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DrBradBuss
Junior
GM: Detroit Pistons GM

Post by DrBradBuss »

Please no Sumlin
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

It's noteworthy how many of the defensive players are on the Cristobal bandwagon. Obviously speaks to how well liked he is. I would like Wilcox but I will be just as happy with Cristobal, especially if he is able to keep guys like Joe Salave'a, Keith Heyward, Michael Johnson, and Arroyo on staff.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:It's noteworthy how many of the defensive players are on the Cristobal bandwagon. Obviously speaks to how well liked he is. I would like Wilcox but I will be just as happy with Cristobal, especially if he is able to keep guys like Joe Salave'a, Keith Heyward, Michael Johnson, and Arroyo on staff.
No on Wilcox, until he has a few good, proven years as a HC. Heard Kerry Eggers say tonight that Hayward may be looked at by the Beavers for their DC spot.
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

Man Mullens is in a tough spot. If he goes with Cristobal and it’s a disaster he could very well get fired with everything that’s gone on. If he goes with someone else the team is pissed and don’t think they have a voice and they probably lose a bunch of recruits and may be bad in the near future anyway. Don’t envy him right now. That’s why he makes the big bucks.

So unless he hires Cristobal and it’s a success he’s in trouble.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Cristobal would be good in the sense that these players would have some continuity, which I think they are craving right now. I also trust that he has the contacts, and presumably the budget to hire a fantastic staff around him. Getting another elite DC will be key. I think it comes down to who has the most potential in the long run, Cristobal or Sumlin? Again, Cristobal is for sure better for the short term of appeasing current players and recruits but 3 years from now will we be glad we kept Cristobal over handing the reins off to someone new?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

stlDUCKfan wrote:Man Mullens is in a tough spot. If he goes with Cristobal and it’s a disaster he could very well get fired with everything that’s gone on. If he goes with someone else the team is pissed and don’t think they have a voice and they probably lose a bunch of recruits and may be bad in the near future anyway. Don’t envy him right now. That’s why he makes the big bucks.

This is the one HE has to get right. He already had two shots and failed at both. I know for a fact MC will attract some great coordinators. He's a guy who had Orlando at DC and the App St HC as OC.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

buckmarkduck wrote:
stlDUCKfan wrote:Man Mullens is in a tough spot. If he goes with Cristobal and it’s a disaster he could very well get fired with everything that’s gone on. If he goes with someone else the team is pissed and don’t think they have a voice and they probably lose a bunch of recruits and may be bad in the near future anyway. Don’t envy him right now. That’s why he makes the big bucks.

This is the one HE has to get right. He already had two shots and failed at both. I know for a fact MC will attract some great coordinators. He's a guy who had Orlando at DC and the App St HC as OC.
Any inside info/insight as to who he might go after to add to his coaching staff?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Listening to MJ Cunningham and Braden Lenzy on Andrew Nemec's show talk about the coaching situation and they say there's two coaching options to keep about 80% of the class: 1) hire one of the current coaches as HC and they keep most of the current staff together or 2) hire a new coach and they retain most of the staff. The third option they gave was the worst one as they said over 80% of the class would likely decommit and not come back if a completely new staff was hired. Most frequently mentioned names they threw out there were Cristobal, Arroyo, Leavitt, and Heyward.