NO to Sumlin & YES to Cristobal & Leavitt

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

picksix
Three Star Recruit

NO to Sumlin & YES to Cristobal & Leavitt

Post by picksix »

We hire Cristobal as HC ( don't have to $$ pay him huge amounts for HC ) and what money we save on Cristobal we up $$ money for Leavitt to stay as DC and make him Assistant HC. Mullen tries to keep all our position coaches intact and give them a $ raise as well. Listen to what these recruits are saying, they want Mario and jim too stay.I am confident most recruits will stay committed and maybe we even get a couple de commitments back!!! Current players seem to like our assistant coaches also, so lets just roll with Mario and Jim and all current assistants that did not go with Tagg. Our recruiting class won't be dessimated either.
duckfan22
Senior

Re: NO to Sumlin & YES to Cristobal & Leavitt

Post by duckfan22 »

picksix wrote:We hire Cristobal as HC ( don't have to $$ pay him huge amounts for HC ) and what money we save on Cristobal we up $$ money for Leavitt to stay as DC and make him Assistant HC. Mullen tries to keep all our position coaches intact and give them a $ raise as well. Listen to what these recruits are saying, they want Mario and jim too stay.I am confident most recruits will stay committed and maybe we even get a couple de commitments back!!! Current players seem to like our assistant coaches also, so lets just roll with Mario and Jim and all current assistants that did not go with Tagg. Our recruiting class won't be dessimated either.
good points. makes sense.. The only thing with not paying Mario a high salary is he
would be more inclined to leave after a couple of years for higher paid job in the south.
Lets pay him a good salary had let uncle Phil spring for the assistant coaches.
picksix
Three Star Recruit

Post by picksix »

Honestly .... I'd even consider Joe S. for D/C if Leavitt doesn't stay.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

All reports are that if we hire Mario that leavitt walks.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

thing Oregon has going for it is if Leavitt leaves we have had 1 year of
improvement and if Mario keeps the same scheme its better then the
pellum to Hoke down grade. just trying to stay positive.
snapt
Four Star Recruit

Post by snapt »

This is probably best case scenario, I'd be happy with it.
BOOF it!
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:All reports are that if we hire Mario that leavitt walks.
I have no inside knowledge but I don’t foresee a scenario in which we keep both if we promote one or the other.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

duckfan22 wrote:thing Oregon has going for it is if Leavitt leaves we have had 1 year of
improvement and if Mario keeps the same scheme its better then the
pellum to Hoke down grade. just trying to stay positive.
I think the thing we might having going is that if Jim does leave that Keith Heyward might be the up and comer for us. It's a decision that Cristobal would have to make and that's what will start to define his tenure here is who he hires to fill out staff positions. I really like Coach Joe I just don't know about his ability to game plan and call the defense in-game and if that report that he's fine in his position is true it's fantastic news. Some coaches can skip being a Coordinator and still be a terrific HC and some can be great Coordinators and be terrible HCs.
vegasdom
Three Star Recruit

Post by vegasdom »

i like Sumlin. I can't get past cristobol's record. Sumlin would probably keep just as many recruits as Sumlin and then some.
dthomas=ddixon

Post by dthomas=ddixon »

Keith Heyward is a future stud DC, just promote him. If we don't he'll be a great one at OSU.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Keith Heyward is a future stud DC, just promote him. If we don't he'll be a great one at OSU.

I have heard this a few different times. Care to explain what makes you think this?
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

dthomas=ddixon wrote:Keith Heyward is a future stud DC, just promote him. If we don't he'll be a great one at OSU.
What are you basing this on?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:All reports are that if we hire Mario that leavitt walks.
Leavitt walks no matter who get the HC job. The only way he stays is as HC.
picksix
Three Star Recruit

Post by picksix »

I guess I'm missing something on Sumlin? Outside Johnny M. where in his resume did he take Texas A&M to the next level? Ok, he's a good recruiter, but I also want to win and it holds a lot of weight that CURRENT players and recruits want to play for Cristobal. Let's give this guy a try, if it doesn't workout then so be it . . . we move on. Cristobal can also recruit and he's got the players support . . and we hire Kieth as our D/C. Let's go with some young coaches and build this thing up.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

picksix wrote:I guess I'm missing something on Sumlin? Outside Johnny M. where in his resume did he take Texas A&M to the next level? Ok, he's a good recruiter, but I also want to win and it holds a lot of weight that CURRENT players and recruits want to play for Cristobal. Let's give this guy a try, if it doesn't workout then so be it . . . we move on. Cristobal can also recruit and he's got the players support . . and we hire Kieth as our D/C. Let's go with some young coaches and build this thing up.
Sumlin did do us a favor tho. he took a committed Johnny M. away from us. The worries i
have is he does not run a tight ship. 25 player arrests in his time there. He is a good recruiter
but he has had problems keeping qb's there just like weve seen here.
Mario has way more upside and as we have seen the players want him as well. That
speaks volumes. Ok his record isnt spectacular but thats at fiu. He got them to a winning record
and a bowl game. He worked for a quick trigger guy there. what he has going for him is
his connections from his days at Alabama. He learned a ton under Saban. His vision go along with
what they did at bama. He also has passion for his job and his players. That shows by the
players support for him..