Case for Sumlin

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

pdxduck2013
Five Star Recruit

Re: Case for Sumlin

Post by pdxduck2013 »

FishDuck puts out some great content, but I've got to say LOL at this particular article because of the delusion related to Sumlin which doesn't match up with reality.

The comment about never being below .500 is where I stopped taking it seriously. Technically, it is correct with the overall record, but it overlooks the cupcake out of conference schedule that they faced every year which gave them 3-4 easy wins:

2012- SMU, South Carolina State, Louisiana Tech, Sam Houston State
2013-Rice, Sam Houston State, SMU, UTEP
2014- Lamar, Rice, SMU, Louisiana-Monroe
2015-ASU, Ball State, Nevada, Western Carolina
2017- UCLA, Prairie View A&M, New Mexico State, UTSA
2017-UCLA, Nicholls State, Louisiana-Lafayette, New MExico

And then, outside of the first year where he was 6-2 in the SEC with all of Sherman's recruits like Manziel and their first round pick offensive linemen, he never won more than 4 games in conference, in spite of those stellar recruiting classes (which were likely the result of $EC bagmen and Mack Brown driving UT into the ground).

Not sure how anyone considers a guy to be a "good coach" when he's getting good recruiting classes but wouldn't even be cracking .500 without the crappy OOC schedule each year. Screams mediocre to me.
trnxcam
Three Star Recruit

Post by trnxcam »

Who cares about Sumlin...he's not our coach and basically no longer matters...at all.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

trnxcam wrote:Who cares about Sumlin...he's not our coach and basically no longer matters...at all.
Exactly. Closing this thread since it no longer serves a purpose.