Assistant Coaches: Comings and Goings

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

brich75
Senior

Re: Assistant Coaches?

Post by brich75 »

Phenom wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Supposedly Johnson might want to move so his son plays tougher competition for his senior year.
Hmm...he could just send his son to one of those boarding schools with stud programs...
Well his son lost to south Medford in playoffs so there is competition here for him
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Supposedly Johnson might want to move so his son plays tougher competition for his senior year.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Poor kid.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

Duck07 wrote:It's more than possible we can get official confirmation before that but I like the news about Jim. I was getting the feeling the longer he stayed around the harder it would be for him to leave because the players can now all recruit him back to the team for next year. "Please stay with us Coach until KSU gives you the HC job!" I think it's vital we've got a proven DC next year to help allow for a little more focus on Arroyo as the full time OC.

Also, while MJ is said to be tripping to TCU, I did find it interesting that all the visits were said to reaffirm their commitments this weekend and that means 4 LBs with no official word on the 2 coaches who coached LBs this year. Either they know something we don't or we're doing a good job keeping those guys interested in the program without any position coaches.
I'm kinda wondering how much the players really want JL back? I'm not sure. There hasn't been much by way of a public display by the coaches or the players to try and convince him to stick around. A couple players tweeted out that pic of him, but it never really took off.
duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Groundswell wrote:
Duck07 wrote:It's more than possible we can get official confirmation before that but I like the news about Jim. I was getting the feeling the longer he stayed around the harder it would be for him to leave because the players can now all recruit him back to the team for next year. "Please stay with us Coach until KSU gives you the HC job!" I think it's vital we've got a proven DC next year to help allow for a little more focus on Arroyo as the full time OC.

Also, while MJ is said to be tripping to TCU, I did find it interesting that all the visits were said to reaffirm their commitments this weekend and that means 4 LBs with no official word on the 2 coaches who coached LBs this year. Either they know something we don't or we're doing a good job keeping those guys interested in the program without any position coaches.
I'm kinda wondering how much the players really want JL back? I'm not sure. There hasn't been much by way of a public display by the coaches or the players to try and convince him to stick around. A couple players tweeted out that pic of him, but it never really took off.
Yeah why would the players want a coach back that made them look like they were competent football players?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

duckduckgoose wrote:
Groundswell wrote:

Yeah why would the players want a coach back that made them look like they were competent football players?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, and especially inadequate over a written medium.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

I'd just go ahead and start preparing yourself for either Guidry or Tosh as DC next year, and just be pleasantly surprised if Leavitt stays. And yes Tosh and MC became pretty good friends at Bama and that's a real possibility.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Hmm...
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

duckduckgoose wrote:
Groundswell wrote:

Good question. But if you don't see a difference between the reaction to Cristobal and the reaction to JL then...

Edit: Like a lot of fans, I think JL is an incredible coach and the players and coaches and AD should be doing everything they can to keep him. From what is being made public, the push doesn't seem particularly urgent. I'm not sure why.
Last edited by Groundswell on Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

Granted this is the McNeese State bio, which will obviously only state the highlights of Guidry's career, but some things stood out. His WKU defense in 2012 was really solid, as is his current D at McNeese St. Yes, they are lower levels, but it seems that he instills an aggressive, attacking D, which is great. He also seems to have a similar attitude and mantra to Cristobal, so I can see Cristobal would be interested in bringing him on board. I think I'd be OK with that hire, if it ended up happening.

http://www.mcneesesports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=946

I know Tosh is a great recruiter, but I'm not sure I'm ready to accept him at Oregon. He just is a hard guy to root for in my eyes. I don't know that I want him representing our university, but that's just me.
CanadianQuackers
Two Star Recruit

Post by CanadianQuackers »

Tosh is a west coast guy, which is probably the best thing about him. He will have some recruiting prowess if he joins this staff, should Leavitt leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Honestly, whatever Tosh did is in the past. I worry more about his lack of DC experience...
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Tosh is the Tee Martin of defense.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

karlhungis wrote:Tosh is the Tee Martin of defense.
No, he's a good position coach.
frogsnouts
Three Star Recruit

Post by frogsnouts »

Remember when Tosh was pulling all those great defensive recruits to Cal? I feel like he could do something similar here. Even if he isn't the best DC we've ever had, he may surround himself with the talent to mask most of his issues. If we keep Heyward, Joe and Clark I'm pretty willing to take a chance on Tosh.