Assistant Coaches: Comings and Goings

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Assistant Coaches: Comings and Goings

Post by StevensTechU »

The assistant salary pool is larger, so you would actually hope that the coaching talent is greater. Seems to be going that way.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

StevensTechU wrote:The assistant salary pool is larger, so you would actually hope that the coaching talent is greater. Seems to be going that way.
How much larger? Is it larger because Mario is making less than Slick was?
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

karlhungis wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:The assistant salary pool is larger, so you would actually hope that the coaching talent is greater. Seems to be going that way.
How much larger? Is it larger because Mario is making less than Slick was?
That is the understanding I had.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

But we also increased the wages of our current staff. Considerably...
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

Phenom, your comments made me decide to look at the actual numbers, and you're right that the assistant coaching salaries have increased dramatically. Here's what I've figured out for the staff coaches:

Taggart: 2.9M
Leavitt: 1.15M
Cristobal: 0.7M
Salave'a: 0.55M
Hayward: 0.375M
Arroyo: 0.3M
Johnson: 0.275M
Clark: 0.25M
Pimpleton: 0.195M
Woodie: 0.150M

Total: 6.845M
Assistant share of compensation pool: 3.945M, or 57.7%

Cristobal: 2.5M
Leavitt: 1.7M
Arroyo: 0.75M
Salave'a: 0.65M
Hayward: 0.45M
Mastro: 0.375M
Johnson: 0.335M
Williams: 0.225M
Dennison: ~0.2M seems like the logical guess based on his Louisville salary of 0.15M and relative lack of experience
<Blank>: special teams is the missing one so we'll pencil in 0.3M for that assuming Cristobal tries to get someone who knows how to coach punt returns, and we'll pencil in another 0.2M for the tenth assistant coach under the presumption that they are primarily a cheap good recruiter

Total: 7.685M
Assistant share of compensation pool: 5.185M, or 67.5%

Based on the raw numbers they increased the assistant pool from 2017 to 2018 by 1.24M, since it seems assistant coach contracts did not have guaranteed increases in the second year like Taggart's, and the overall compensation from 2017 to 2018 by 0.69M (Taggart's minimum raise of 0.15M means that the minimum coaching compensation for Taggart's staff in their hypothetical 2018 season would be 6.995M). In that sense, the assistant pool was increased substantially through a combination of saving on the head coach and increasing the amount of money to pay them.

With that said, I'd say it's not very accurate to compare the numbers of Cristobal's current staff to those of Taggart's hypothetical 2018 staff without adjusting for the contract extension Oregon offered Taggart before he left. Offering Taggart that contract indicated Oregon's willingness to raise the overall compensation pool to 7.945M for the 2018 season (4M for Taggart and 3.945M for the assistants), which is higher than the 7.685M said above as the tentative figure for the actual 2018 staff. In other words, the program is paying less overall for football coaches this season than they would have with Taggart under his contract extension, despite giving the assistants a cumulative raise of 1.24M over their anticipated 2018 salaries. I don't think Oregon is as willing to give the assistants that raise if they aren't saving 1.5M elsewhere.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Thanks for the research! That's actually really helpful. It doesn't seem like money is a huge issue either considering who we're targeting for the remaining vacancies.
Bighonkingduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by Bighonkingduck »

Didn't Slick also have to pay a buyout?
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Bighonkingduck wrote:Didn't Slick also have to pay a buyout?
6m
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
partytime1667
One Star Recruit

Post by partytime1667 »

TualatinDuck wrote:
6m
And FSU footed the bill on that, right?
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

partytime1667 wrote:
TualatinDuck wrote:
6m
It was actually $4.5 million, $1.5 million of which we owed USF.

What makes the deal look even worse for Mullens is that $3 million buyout can be paid over 48 months, which is $62,500 per month. Taggart's agent knew what he was doing. Especially when you consider some of the other buyouts out there, like Matt Campbell's $6 million at Iowa State.
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

Phenom wrote:Thanks for the research! That's actually really helpful. It doesn't seem like money is a huge issue either considering who we're targeting for the remaining vacancies.
No problem. I'm glad it was helpful. Though I don't actually know who is being targeted for the remaining vacancies, I'd agree that money in general doesn't seem like as much of an issue as it was in past years. An assistant compensation pool of 5.185M would have put Oregon fifth last year (behind Alabama, LSU, Clemson, and Michigan), though Oregon is still spending a lot less on coaching overall than those "elite" programs because they are generally coupling the same level of assistant compensation with a massive contracts for their head coach - Orgeron is making "only" 3.5M, but Saban is at ~11M, Harbaugh is at ~8M, and Dabo is at ~6.75M. That Oregon committed to increasing the coaching compensation by at least ~15% with the Taggart extension offer speaks to something a business writer could describe as "accepting new budgetary paradigms," but I'd think overall they still aren't quite as willing to open the spigot as the "top" programs are.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Even though he hasn't been officially announced, Dennison's contract has been released by the university:
https://247sports.com/college/oregon/Bo ... -114209700
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

partytime1667 wrote:
TualatinDuck wrote:
6m
Technically TAMU.
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Ahhh googled it....assistant director of player personnel...or something like that