Where my Scott Frost haters at?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Where my Scott Frost haters at?

Post by StevensTechU »

Groundswell wrote:I don't think it's a coincidence that Oregon completely fell apart when he and Chins left.
Oregon's offense kept humming along. We didn't have QB depth (Frost failed to recruit the position well). Chins' impact on the defense was minimal - it was deteriorating while he was here.

I don't think you can correlate the deterioration of the program to Frost and Chinander. It would be a lot more accurate to say it was due to Kelly, Aliotti, and Azzinaro moving on.
srduck
Three Star Recruit

Where my Scott Frost haters at?

Post by srduck »

Totally agree STU and in fact would even consider that Frost had a major imprint on the downturn due to his inability to recruit and secure a QB. Do the names Barnett, Darnold and Stidham ring a bell. Frost went after everyone of those guys and could not get a committ. Sure there may have been other issues but the bottom line is the guy was not a stellar recruiter at UO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I was glad we didn't hire Frost then, and I'm still glad we didn't hire him now. One good season doesn't make someone a great coach, and bowl games are weird... I'm not convinced Auburn gave its best shot.

Frost was a decent offensive playcaller who had a tendency to either get cute or run uncharacteristic plays in big moments. Promoting Helfrich certainly didn't end up well, and perhaps Frost would have done better, but meh... he hadn't proved anything then, and only now would I feel somewhat comfortable about hiring him -- though with a strong feeling we could do better. He'd probably move my needle about as much as Wilcox, but at least Wilcox would have still been here and not just ditched us for Nebraska.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

buckmarkduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:I was a bit critical of him at the time(4 years ago) but in hindsight, I think Helf was the weak link that most of us hadn't fully grasped yet. For me, I came around on Frost and would have loved to have gotten him but the timing of our opening and Taggart leaving so late in the cycle made it impossible.
This is spot on, I tried saying this when everyone blamed DP and Hoke, but in reality Helf was the big problem. If Frost and Helf switched roles we’d be a lot better off right now.
Helfrich had zero to do with the D. Both Hoke and Pellum are just that bad.
You don’t really think a head coach has zero to do with the D do you?
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:I was a bit critical of him at the time(4 years ago) but in hindsight, I think Helf was the weak link that most of us hadn't fully grasped yet. For me, I came around on Frost and would have loved to have gotten him but the timing of our opening and Taggart leaving so late in the cycle made it impossible.
This is spot on, I tried saying this when everyone blamed DP and Hoke, but in reality Helf was the big problem. If Frost and Helf switched roles we’d be a lot better off right now.
Helfrich had zero to do with the D. Both Hoke and Pellum are just that bad.
You don’t really think a head coach has zero to do with the D do you?

Helfrich promoted Pellum then hired Hoke so he did have a little bit to do the
disaster that was those defenses..
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I just get a laugh out of those who say Frost wasn't a good OC. His UCF teams put up points like crazy and his Oregon offenses were as good if not better than Chip's statistically. (and yes, Frost had Mariota for all but one of those years, to be fair).

I don't want to re-hash all the Helfie stuff, but his main issue was not as an offensive mind, but as a "CEO". The Pellum hire cost us a title and Hoke cost him his job. His recruiting charisma was god awful. Closed nobody. Had no social media presence at all as a staff from the top down.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

GrantDuck wrote:I just get a laugh out of those who say Frost wasn't a good OC. His UCF teams put up points like crazy and his Oregon offenses were as good if not better than Chip's statistically. (and yes, Frost had Mariota for all but one of those years, to be fair).
So did Willie's.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Like Helfrich, Frost benefited from Mariota's and VA's execution. They didnt look so good without those gunslingers. Neither showed much ability to cultivate QB depth.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

pezsez1 wrote:Like Helfrich, Frost benefited from Mariota's and VA's execution. They didnt look so good without those gunslingers. Neither showed much ability to cultivate QB depth.
100%.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Phenom wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:I just get a laugh out of those who say Frost wasn't a good OC. His UCF teams put up points like crazy and his Oregon offenses were as good if not better than Chip's statistically. (and yes, Frost had Mariota for all but one of those years, to be fair).
So did Willie's.
Willie's offense struggled mightily without Herbert and Herbert was out against the best defenses we played. Verdict was still out on that, and think Willie was a decent OC, but s*** for adjustments and game management.

We actually managed alright with Alie/Lockie with Frost as OC.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

StevensTechU wrote:
Groundswell wrote:I don't think it's a coincidence that Oregon completely fell apart when he and Chins left.
Oregon's offense kept humming along. We didn't have QB depth (Frost failed to recruit the position well). Chins' impact on the defense was minimal - it was deteriorating while he was here.

I don't think you can correlate the deterioration of the program to Frost and Chinander. It would be a lot more accurate to say it was due to Kelly, Aliotti, and Azzinaro moving on.
Oh, I think the cracks were there. I just think the players quit in a way they wouldn't have if Chins and Frost were still around. Nobody respected Helf, but a lot of players respected the other two.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

This. I'll admit though Frost is exceeding my expectations by a large margin.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GrantDuck wrote:
Not even a little bit.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

StevensTechU wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:
Not even a little bit.
I actually just managed to not snort coffee out my nose... Does that count?

I was actually taking a drink when I read that, too!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

woundedknees wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:
Not even a little bit.
I actually just managed to not snort coffee out my nose... Does that count?

I was actually taking a drink when I read that, too!
My reaction too, until I went to look up the facts to rub Grantduck's nose in it, only to be stunned that he is actually right. VA missed 3 starts. The backups won 2 and lost the other one in overtime putting up 61, 41 and 38 points with back-up quarterbacks. I bow before Grantduck and Frost.