Ducks #23 in Athlon Way-Too-Early Top 25 (& #24 in Mandel's)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

karlhungis
All Pac-12

Re: Ducks #23 in Athlon Way-Too-Early Top 25 (& #24 in Mande

Post by karlhungis »

GoDucksTroll wrote:Jon Wilner is even higher on Oregon, having them #13 in his ridiculously early top-25.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/01/09/ ... teresting/

He also has Washington #7, Stanford #17, USC #21, and Arizona #22. In his bowl projections he has Oregon getting an at-large bid to the Fiesta Bowl. I'm not a Wilner fan, but he knows Pac-12 football better than national publications.
That's crazy after a historically bad season in the pac 12. Oregon and Arizona have no business being in the top 25.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
ncduck
Senior

Post by ncduck »

karlhungis wrote:
GoDucksTroll wrote:Jon Wilner is even higher on Oregon, having them #13 in his ridiculously early top-25.

He also has Washington #7, Stanford #17, USC #21, and Arizona #22. In his bowl projections he has Oregon getting an at-large bid to the Fiesta Bowl. I'm not a Wilner fan, but he knows Pac-12 football better than national publications.
That's crazy after a historically bad season in the pac 12. Oregon and Arizona have no business being in the top 25.
He's probably assuming we have a healthy QB all season.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

karlhungis wrote:

lol once again...that's not how projections work.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Phenom wrote:
karlhungis wrote:

lol once again...that's not how projections work.
Ah yes, past performance has zero bearing on future predictions. Got it.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

karlhungis wrote:

Those are projections, so they are only partially based on this season's results.

That got me thinking though, how accurate Wilner has been. I looked at his 2017 too early top-25 and compared it to the final AP poll. He got 19/25 teams. Out of his top 15 teams, only three didn't make the final poll: Michigan, Texas and Florida State. He did have Florida State #1, but that seemed fairly reasonable.
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

ncduck wrote:

I'm really not sure about Herbert even. I don't think he really even played any good defense last year. The only one - Boise State - was not good.... I guess an argument can be made that we won't face that many good defense maybe 2 or 3 over the season so it's not too much to worry about?
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

As much as Wilner can come off like a Duck hater at times, he really does know his college football.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

ducks5ever wrote:
ncduck wrote:

I'm really not sure about Herbert even. I don't think he really even played any good defense last year. The only one - Boise State - was not good.... I guess an argument can be made that we won't face that many good defense maybe 2 or 3 over the season so it's not too much to worry about?
You can be skeptical all you want.... but if he stays healthy he will ball out.