Strike 2 for Cristobal and staff

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UofDuck
Senior

Re: Strike 2 for Cristobal and staff

Post by UofDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:I just want to have 1 thread I can bookmark and bump that shows I think this was an awful and rushed hire.

I felt the same way about Don Pellum.

I was neutral on Helfrich and Hoke.
We wouldn't even have a top 20 class if they didn't hire MC. I would bet on that.
I wouldn’t take that bet because I think you’re 100% on point. Bagging MC after the crap hand he was dealt is lazy and weak. I’m also frustrated that people point out that Wiley didn’t recruit this group or that, so the failure to land certain recruits is solely on our assistant coaches. As if the head coach leaving is irrelevant. Then the same whiners prop up Chip as the guy who brought in great classes. Yes, the head coach has a massive influence on the kids decision regardless of who the position coach is. A head coach leaving is a huge factor and our assistants did what they could. MC & crew landing the #16 class is great considering slick Wiley’s departure.
Groundswell
Four Star Recruit

Post by Groundswell »

I think MC could be a great head coach. I hope he gives up the OL coaching responsibilities. And I'm giving Arroyo a chance, but I have zero confidence in him. He's going to have to earn it.
Handsome Dan
Four Star Recruit

Post by Handsome Dan »

No I didn't like how MC was telling the team how ready they were leading up to the game only to watch them mail it in.
I personally thought that the performance, while indicating that the team collectively lacked the capacity to play a competitive football game, did not indicate that they had accepted they lacked this capacity. In other words, they looked awful because they couldn't muster the energy to play well after dealing with Taggart and finals in such quick succession, not because they didn't try. I'm sure opposing coaches didn't really delve into that sort of nuance in their negative recruiting, of course, but that is what it seemed like to me.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Handsome Dan wrote:
No I didn't like how MC was telling the team how ready they were leading up to the game only to watch them mail it in.
I personally thought that the performance, while indicating that the team collectively lacked the capacity to play a competitive football game, did not indicate that they had accepted they lacked this capacity. In other words, they looked awful because they couldn't muster the energy to play well after dealing with Taggart and finals in such quick succession, not because they didn't try. I'm sure opposing coaches didn't really delve into that sort of nuance in their negative recruiting, of course, but that is what it seemed like to me.
Don't forget the RR didn't play in the bowl game factor. IMHO that was huge.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Such a stupid thread.

How about the fact that there will never be a game that this staff is as unprepared for as that bowl game? GrantDuck won't buy it of course, or how this was the first year with a early signing period and how all of that in addition to the bowl game had an effect on how we played and recruited at that specific moment when we got bailed on. Nope, obviously those were things that had no bearing for us and shouldn't be used as any kind of proper context.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

This is a better recruiting class than Helfrich ever had, anyone who wants MC gone is nuts.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

It's funny that had Hall and Sewell committed a year ago, the rest of the class would have been gravy. The old not signing with SC down grade got them both.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

This is better than any class we have ever signed besides one of Chip's, in which most players ended up busting.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

buckmarkduck wrote:It's funny that had Hall and Sewell committed a year ago, the rest of the class would have been gravy. The old not signing with SC down grade got them both.
Do you like Hall?

Honestly I don't get it, his senior film is less exciting than Tuckers IMO. I have heard rumors about personal issues.

Regarding this thread, this is a very good class but I think it's 100% fair to point out the red flags.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Phenom wrote:This is better than any class we have ever signed besides one of Chip's, in which most players ended up busting.
Maybe so but not by much. I calculated from the 247 comps, the average class since 2010 is #17 and this one is #16

Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Duckenstein wrote:
Phenom wrote:This is better than any class we have ever signed besides one of Chip's, in which most players ended up busting.
Maybe so but not by much. I calculated from the 247 comps, the average class since 2010 is #17 and this one is #16

Fair enough but this was on the smaller end. you saw illmatic's post on SD didn't you?
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Phenom wrote:
Duckenstein wrote:

Fair enough but this was on the smaller end. you saw illmatic's post on SD didn't you?
I did, it was awesome, SD really needs more posts like that one.

This class has the most top tier talent. Looking back through Helfrichs classes is kind of sad because there were so many failures.

I think this class is really good. I don't envy Cristobal because he's got to dig Oregon out of the hole that Helfrich (and to a lesser extent, Willie too) dug. There's a real lack of talent on the roster and it's crucial to restock if Oregon wants to compete again

buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Duckenstein wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:It's funny that had Hall and Sewell committed a year ago, the rest of the class would have been gravy. The old not signing with SC down grade got them both.
Do you like Hall?

Honestly I don't get it, his senior film is less exciting than Tuckers IMO. I have heard rumors about personal issues.

Regarding this thread, this is a very good class but I think it's 100% fair to point out the red flags.

I do like Hall a lot. I think he suffered as a Sr from transferring and his home life was screwed up. If he returns to the form he was as a SO and Jr, when he was a top 10 recruit, he's the steal of the class.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Duckenstein wrote:

That class got overrated by the recruiting services because we were coming off a lot of on-field success and the services gave our players a huge "Oregon bump." Happens all the time.
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

I believe I read that Shough said he was excited about the OL recruits because he would have 10 seconds. That's probably exaggerated. I saw Forsyth play in HS. He is very, very good. Though he will contribute greatly, he may never be a starter with the OL depth the coaches have developed. I don't have a great knowledge of the finer points of FB, but it is often said the battle is won in the trenches. Given time, Herbert and Shough will excel. So will our receivers. They have that much talent. We will have a dominant OL the next few years. I don't consider the recruiting class a strike. I was disappointed with the bowl game.