2018 Depth Chart

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Re: 2018 Depth Chart

Post by ducks5ever »

I think you all are kind of over hyping Herbert a little? He did poorly against Boise State. While that is just one game and the rest of his stats look good, I don't think he faced any real quality competition aside from Boise State last season. He was out during the toughest stretch of the season. While I think he is a good QB, I'm still reserving judgement until I see more.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

ducks5ever wrote:I think you all are kind of over hyping Herbert a little? He did poorly against Boise State. While that is just one game and the rest of his stats look good, I don't think he faced any real quality competition aside from Boise State last season. He was out during the toughest stretch of the season. While I think he is a good QB, I'm still reserving judgement until I see more.
I think Herbert is fine if he has some receivers that can catch, a line that can block and a running game that concerns a defense. I don't think he is good enough to carry the team on his own. And I worry that we won't have the receivers to catch the ball, allowing defenses to load the box, making our offense stall. I'm very concerned about our offense next year.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

The only part of the offense that could be worse next year is RB and even then I think we'll be more than serviceable there. All WRs and TEs return, Herbert returns, All good OL besides Crosby return and our backups are good. Now if Herbert gets hurt...
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

ducks5ever wrote:I think you all are kind of over hyping Herbert a little? He did poorly against Boise State. While that is just one game and the rest of his stats look good, I don't think he faced any real quality competition aside from Boise State last season. He was out during the toughest stretch of the season. While I think he is a good QB, I'm still reserving judgement until I see more.
Also, his performance against asu wasn't that great. But could argue he did get much help in that game from both sides.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I think the young corners, Graham and Lenoir, will take a large step forward in year 2. Why? Because that's what happens to literally all college corners. Ifo got abused as a freshman.
partytime1667
One Star Recruit

Post by partytime1667 »

StevensTechU wrote:I think the young corners, Graham and Lenoir, will take a large step forward in year 2. Why? Because that's what happens to literally all college corners. Ifo got abused as a freshman.
Marquis Lee doused him in gasoline in 2011
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I remember how bad Phinisee and Gipson were in 2012, and they were a strength of the team by their senior seasons. Seems like there is a learning curve at that position that is only cured by getting reps. So throw the five new guys out there and get it over with.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Phalanx wrote:I remember how bad Phinisee and Gipson were in 2012, and they were a strength of the team by their senior seasons. Seems like there is a learning curve at that position that is only cured by getting reps. So throw the five new guys out there and get it over with.
Anyone remember Aaron Gipson against USC and Mike Williams? Williams made him look like a toddler but I’ll never forget Gipson as a senior in the foggy Civil War returning a pick 6 and IIRC a fumble to the house as well.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

I think the adjustment from high school to college being a corner is one of the hardest to make.
I dont think they are ready yet for the speed of the game and the different offenses they are going
to see. We have had some really good corners that it took a coupld of years to catch up with the game.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Many believe the hardest position in ALL of pro sports is CB. Try to stayed glued to a phenomenal athlete, where he has the advantage of knowing where’s he’s going and you don’t , while also having to keep an eye in the opposing back-field in case you have to peel off to offer run support by making open field tackles, is nearly impossible. No wonder freshmen get worked.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

No doubt. Hardest positions for a college freshman are QB, center, and CB.
skdragon1
Two Star Recruit

Post by skdragon1 »

Jhop hearing carlberg moving to OL, daewood moving to DB, kampmoyer moving to TE and Gus moving to DE. Odds are generally long that position changes work out but obviously rooting for the best team possible here. If permanent, will be interested to see how this shakes up the depth chart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

skdragon1 wrote:Jhop hearing carlberg moving to OL, daewood moving to DB, kampmoyer moving to TE and Gus moving to DE. Odds are generally long that position changes work out but obviously rooting for the best team possible here. If permanent, will be interested to see how this shakes up the depth chart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Daewood would be a really strange move. We need WR's. Interesting though.

As for the corner conversation, WTIII and Byrd played quite a lot as freshmen...but then again they were not the norm.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Interesting for Kampmoyer to move to TE, there are some talented guys there waiting to break out.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Phalanx wrote:I remember how bad Phinisee and Gipson were in 2012, and they were a strength of the team by their senior seasons. Seems like there is a learning curve at that position that is only cured by getting reps. So throw the five new guys out there and get it over with.
Gipson was great his senior year, but struggled up til then. I certainly hope he isn’t what we want to expect. The young secondary must develop much quicker than he did. I can think of another long starting CB...er, Springs, that had a good to great Senior year, but was not a very good corner his first few years. Ducks need a faster learning curve with these young guys.