Mariota could become the highest paid player in the NFL

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Re: Mariota could become the highest paid player in the NFL

Post by Tray Dub »

"Mariota will likely sign a contract that is worth far more than Garoppolo"

I'll believe it when I see it. Marcus is going to have to prove himself more than he has so far to get Jimmy G kind of money.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

I'm not really familiar with the NFL CBA; what are the chances that he leaves Tennessee?
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

wepto wrote:I'm not really familiar with the NFL CBA; what are the chances that he leaves Tennessee?
It seems very unlikely that Mariota will leave Tennessee. The Titans just brought in a new coaching staff with a mandate that they bring out the best of their quarterback. It also is the case with salary that timing is everything, not necessarily merit. Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Newton have never been the highest paid quarterback, Matthew Stafford and Joe Flacco however have been #1.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

Mariota's won more playoff games than Garoppolo, Matt Stafford, Dak Prescott, Kirk Cousins, and Derek Carr COMBINED.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Hoagduck wrote:Mariota's won more playoff games than Garoppolo, Matt Stafford, Dak Prescott, Kirk Cousins, and Derek Carr COMBINED.
Don't forget Andy Dalton.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Hoagduck wrote:Mariota's won more playoff games than Garoppolo, Matt Stafford, Dak Prescott, Kirk Cousins, and Derek Carr COMBINED.
He also threw more INT this year than half those guys combined. Next year is a prove it year for him.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

It was supposed to be Marcus' year if you believed any of the preseason hype and he came out and had a mediocre season aside from winning a playoff game. He hasn't shown himself to be the guy to carry the team consistently.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

FlDuckFan wrote:It was supposed to be Marcus' year if you believed any of the preseason hype and he came out and had a mediocre season aside from winning a playoff game. He hasn't shown himself to be the guy to carry the team consistently.
It'll be interesting to see how he does with an OC running an offense that's from this century. They also need to really upgrade their WRs and TEs as really only Walker would start elsewhere.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

It’s not Mariota’s fault he consistently had to try and convert 3rd and long with only two wideouts and that he had WR’s and TE’s that dropped half of his passes. I know Marcus did not have a good year and made some poor decisions/passes, but that Mularky 1960’s offense did him no favors and his team did not help him at all.
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

Tray Dub wrote:"Mariota will likely sign a contract that is worth far more than Garoppolo"

I'll believe it when I see it. Marcus is going to have to prove himself more than he has so far to get Jimmy G kind of money.

To be fair, Jimmy G should have had to prove himself more to get Jimmy G money.
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

stlDUCKfan wrote:
Tray Dub wrote:"Mariota will likely sign a contract that is worth far more than Garoppolo"

But he's so handsome.
stlDUCKfan
Pac-12 Prediction Winner!

Post by stlDUCKfan »

Tray Dub wrote:
stlDUCKfan wrote:

But he's so handsome.
True.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

You have to admire the story: A good-looking Italian kid goes to college in the midwest, achieves national recognition but then falls out of the first round in the NFL draft and has to start as a backup, only throwing twenty-something passes his first season. The 49ers go 2-14 the year before and weren't expected to do anything, but he becomes the starter halfway through another terrible season and goes on a little winning streak and they finish 6-10 and suddenly there is life in the organization and the fans in San Francisco are interested again. Personally, I think a guy who can revive the franchise like that is worth all the money you can pay him. The guy just screams Hall of Fame to me every time I watch him play.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

greenyellow wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:It was supposed to be Marcus' year if you believed any of the preseason hype and he came out and had a mediocre season aside from winning a playoff game. He hasn't shown himself to be the guy to carry the team consistently.
It'll be interesting to see how he does with an OC running an offense that's from this century. They also need to really upgrade their WRs and TEs as really only Walker would start elsewhere.
X2 Marcus was never put in the correct offense for his abilities and also needed better receivers...... other than Walker. Titans better figure it out or some NFL coach or GM with half a brain is going to snatch him up.