Oregon linebacker arrested = Fotu Leiato

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Re: Oregon linebacker arrested = Fotu Leiato

Post by Alan »

greenyellow wrote:
Duck24 wrote:Geez this is still going? It must be the offseason. If anything, I think people would be focusing on the fact he was arrested for trespassing just a few months prior, not the implication of parking meters and what happens when you don’t pay them.

Back in the 2000’s, didn’t a handful of athletes get popped for using washers to feed the meters outside Mac Court? TJ Ward’s name is ringing a bell but I could be wrong.
I was surprised people overlooked that trespassing charge as well. Seems removing a car boot was more egregious to them.

I was thinking about that also a week or so ago. The arrest may have stemmed from the "failure to appear" on the criminal trespass. I'm curious to what entails a criminal trespass. I would think less than breaking into a locked building or even walking into a unlocked home. My mind goes towards something like going to a multiplex theater seeing a movie and afterwards walking into another movie without paying. Jumping a fence to get into a fair.

Criminal trespass entering into the conversation should be good for a couple more pages........ how long to fall ball? Lol
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I was surprised people overlooked that trespassing charge as well. Seems removing a car boot was more egregious to them.
Yeah, I think removing the boot off the car is more deserving of punishment.

As others in this thread have said, we've all broken laws. We casually speed, or we've cut through yards, or maybe we've fudged on a time card at some point in our past -- whatever. People have different motivations for breaking rules or laws, but when people do so casually, it's usually because the threat of consequence is so minimal that it's outweighed by the probability of a disproportionately larger benefit.

That's why nobody gets bent out of shape over things like trespassing, parking tickets, getting pulled over for going 10mph too fast, etc.

But ripping the boot off your car? Refusing to show in court on several occassions to face a judge? Refusing to pay restitution? Not honoring civil agreements, restraining orders, etc? This is when honest mistakes, misunderstandings and "teachable moments" cross the line between "mistake" and "defiance," and acts of defiance are not honest mistakes.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

pezsez1 wrote:
I try to be willing to admit when I'm wrong, so I asked my buddy in law enforcement if taking a boot off a car is similar to evading a cop trying to pull you over. He just laughed at me.
But to rip a boot off of your car is a means of defying a cop's attempt at enforcement, just as evading a cop while speeding would be.
loooooool
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

loooooool
Just FYI, I've clarified in two or three posts now that evading police is far worse than ripping a boot off your car.

The point (which I'm stunned that people keep missing) is that defying police is often more serious than the crime that triggered the interaction with police. (Ripping a boot off your car is worse than parking illegally, just like evading police is worse than speeding!)

I wish I would have just said that in the first place, because then people wouldn't be hyperfocusing on a comparison I made as a reply to someone else's flawed comparison.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

I think we should apply this boot on a car principle to other civil matters. What about locking someone out of their own home if they are in violation of a city code? Who needs the courts.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Duck07 wrote:I think we should apply this boot on a car principle to other civil matters. What about locking someone out of their own home if they are in violation of a city code? Who needs the courts.
Actually a government body can condemn a building and declare in uninhabitable. Like most of the arguments in this thread it becomes a matter of the level of noncompliance.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Dumb ass.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

per jhop he won't be on the team anymore
Tray Dub
All Pac-12

Post by Tray Dub »

cordy02c wrote:per jhop he won't be on the team anymore
Wow. Either the coaches are going to be super harsh with rule-breaking or there were pre-existing issues with Fotu. I'd guess the latter, but it'll be interesting to see how disciplinary stuff plays out in the future to gauge whether there's a pattern.

Also, this sucks for our defensive depth.
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

it was pre-existing issues apparently
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Wow! If this is correct there must be more then we are hearing....
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

Alan wrote:
Getting arrested twice in four months is grounds for getting the boot, IMHO.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck24 wrote:
Alan wrote:
Getting arrested twice in four months is grounds for getting the boot, IMHO.
Was he arrested twice? Once just recently, but did he get arrested for criminal trespass or just sited? Also, is he truly off the team?
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I quick google showed he was arrested twice, three charges all misdemeanors. Areested in January for second degree criminal trespass and recently for being a dumbass.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Sucks for depth, but impressed by Cristoball's tough response to Leiato's defiance of authority. Completely appropriate. Hopefully Leiato learns from this and grows into a better man.