The weak link on offense? Running backs?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

The weak link on offense? Running backs?

Post by Alan »

Sounds like the Ducks have a great O line, we know about the QB.... but depth? WR's? My focus is on RB's not thinking the Ducks have a lot of depth....... at this point, without fall ball and the possibility of the emergence of the next star. Where's the weak link and how weak is the depth at RB? By lack of depth at RB I'm concerned about youth at RB.
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Re: The weak link on offense? Running backs?

Post by hjpop »

I dunno, I'm more concerned about our WR core. RB, we have TBJ and Verdell seems to be coming into his own and Oregon seems to be doing okay in that area. If our WRs can't get into the game, though, it wouldn't matter if we had Freeman again this year, teams will just stack against the run.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

WRs are definitely more of an issue as there's little depth, experience, or size.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

good question

I think we will be ok at running back. As long as Justin can stretch the field passing
then the holes will be there to run. if the recievers do not step up and make plays then
like someone else said then they can just stack the box to stop the run.
Reciever is more important position that im worried about.
desertfan
Three Star Recruit

Post by desertfan »

Tightend is a much bigger weakness IMO. We have good blocking tightends but we don't have that athletic, pass catching tightend that kills teams in the seams in the playaction passing game. Which is weird because that used to be a staple of our teams when we were good.

Of course this changes if that transfer turns out to be a stud.
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

desertfan wrote:Tightend is a much bigger weakness IMO. We have good blocking tightends but we don't have that athletic, pass catching tightend that kills teams in the seams in the playaction passing game. Which is weird because that used to be a staple of our teams when we were good.

Of course this changes if that transfer turns out to be a stud.
Actually McCormick and Breeland are the more athletic/pass catching tight ends.. Cristobal has just made it a point of emphasis to make them better blockers. Incoming Spencer Webb is also a more athletic pass catching TE... Haven't watched Dillon's tape, but I would imagine he is the same mold.

TE's are just fine in my book if you are talking pass catchers...

Definitely receivers if you want to go weak link on O. That or QB depth.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Going to be an interesting year for RB. Verdell looks to be the #2 guy on the DC which means he'll end up being the #1 guy by game 3 if TBJ continues his trend of getting injured every 3-5 carries. A good OL should help all the back tremendously though.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Not worried in the least about RB. CJ will be a better fit for this O than Royce was , and I won't be shocked to see him finish all confrence.
midwestduck82
Three Star Recruit

Post by midwestduck82 »

I think the RBs are going to be a surprise. They should start the year using a full committee so everyone gets playing time. I have confidence in that group, from TBJ to Travis Dye, to be able to find holes with this OL.

WR is the weak link. I can only think of 5 guys that I would want to be on the field. Schooler, JJ3, Dillon Mitchell, Jaylon Redd, and Daewood Davis. Those guys should be used sparingly through the first 3 games to minimize the risk of injury.
midwestduck82
Three Star Recruit

Post by midwestduck82 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Not worried in the least about RB. CJ will be a better fit for this O than Royce was , and I won't be shocked to see him finish all confrence.
I agree.

Also, Cyrus H-L has a running style similar to Gale Sayers. He can make a couple cuts, bounce off guys, and still get to full speed. He finishes runs with a good hit to the defender considering his size too. I also like Felix.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

It will be interesting to see them develop under Mastro. We always had such great backs under Coach Campbell, dude was an absolute legends.

I do like Verdell a lot, but hope we can start landing the 4-5 star kids at some point again there too.

WR is clearly the weak link, especially at outside WR. Outside of School-Boy we don't have much size and Spring practice reports were not glowing about the hands of the guys in there. I do think Tabari is going to be a real help though this year.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

buckmarkduck wrote:Not worried in the least about RB. CJ will be a better fit for this O than Royce was , and I won't be shocked to see him finish all confrence.
I agree. IF he stays healthy.