Malik Lovette

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

thomas time
Senior

Malik Lovette

Post by thomas time »

did I miss that he left the team? Somebody mentioned it on Oregon live, but I don't remember hearing that he left.
greenyellow

Re: Malik Lovette

Post by greenyellow »

First that I'm aware of it also but it appears to be true as he's not listed on the official roster anymore. With his departure and Hall's unknown status, it's looking like they'll have around 75-77 scholarship players this season.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

greenyellow wrote:First that I'm aware of it also but it appears to be true as he's not listed on the official roster anymore. With his departure and Hall's unknown status, it's looking like they'll have around 75-77 scholarship players this season.
Really? That hurts!
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

greenyellow wrote:First that I'm aware of it also but it appears to be true as he's not listed on the official roster anymore. With his departure and Hall's unknown status, it's looking like they'll have around 75-77 scholarship players this season.
How come we have such a low number of scholarship players this year? Is it because we have a small number of players graduating next year and wanted to save scholarships or just bad planning and recruiting the past few years?

Almost ten empty scholarship spots is huge and, aside from depth issues in games, it may affect the development of our current players because they will be going up against many walk-on players players during practices, who are needed to fill in for those empty scholarship spots. I hope that Mario and staff quickly fix this issue.
cordy02c
Senior

Post by cordy02c »

per jhop his leaving had to do with grad school
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

alxtw wrote:
How come we have such a low number of scholarship players this year? Is it because we have a small number of players graduating next year and wanted to save scholarships or just bad planning and recruiting the past few years?

Almost ten empty scholarship spots is huge and, aside from depth issues in games, it may affect the development of our current players because they will be going up against many walk-on players players during practices, who are needed to fill in for those empty scholarship spots. I hope that Mario and staff quickly fix this issue.
They didn't fill every open scholarship on Signing Day so they could save a few for the 2019 class but they've also had some transfers, retirees, and other defections after Signing Day and spring drills that took even more players away.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

By the way, Logan Bathke has also left the program. Didn't think it was worthy of it's own thread. I don't know if it's health issues, or the log jam at OL.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

With Bathke leaving and the addition of Addison to the 2018 class, it's looking like the Ducks will have have 77-78 scholarship player when they open fall camp. With 12 SRs and around 7-8 open scholarships, they'll have at least 19 recruits in the 2019 class with the likelihood of it ending up around 23-25 once you factor in more departures occurring during and after the season.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

greenyellow wrote:With Bathke leaving and the addition of Addison to the 2018 class, it's looking like the Ducks will have have 77-78 scholarship player when they open fall camp. With 12 SRs and around 7-8 open scholarships, they'll have at least 19 recruits in the 2019 class with the likelihood of it ending up around 23-25 once you factor in more departures occurring during and after the season.
I agree and think we take a 23-25 person class. There's always attrition, transfers and medical retirements. It wouldn't surprise me to see one of the Florida kids like Gibson or Burch, or one of the OL leave. We might also lose a couple to the NFL draft, with Herbert and Dye.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Bathke leaving sucks. We don't have a lot of talent among the younger OL, and he was one of the few that had the athleticism to step out and play tackle. Not a world-beater, but his absence will be missed.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Malik was a man without a spot. He got his degree and is moving on with his life, glad he was able to accomplish that.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

He got his degree? I Lovette!

Maliknificent!!
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

StevensTechU wrote:Bathke leaving sucks. We don't have a lot of talent among the younger OL, and he was one of the few that had the athleticism to step out and play tackle. Not a world-beater, but his absence will be missed.
Do you know what happened here?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

StevensTechU wrote:Bathke leaving sucks. We don't have a lot of talent among the younger OL, and he was one of the few that had the athleticism to step out and play tackle. Not a world-beater, but his absence will be missed.

We dont? The incoming class is super talented, Sorrels will be a.first.ro7nd pick when he leaves if he stays healthy, and the coaches think Johnson could.be just as good. Bathke was going to be 3rd string this year.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

jimmy12 wrote:
Do you know what happened here?
No idea.
buckmarkduck wrote: We dont? The incoming class is super talented, Sorrels will be a.first.ro7nd pick when he leaves if he stays healthy, and the coaches think Johnson could.be just as good. Bathke was going to be 3rd string this year.
Sorrels?

What we know is that we'll see some health issues on the offensive line this year, because it happens every year. You need a solid 2-deep. After Throck and Aiello, we have Moore, who reportedly still hasn't 'put it all together.' Bathke was the next guy, and in his absence, it will be Forsyth, or a true freshman will be pressed into action. As a general rule based on observation, the three positions you'd rather not ever rely on freshmen: offensive line, quarterback, and cornerback.