Big Bruiser

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Big Bruiser

Post by ducks5ever »

So with our mountain range OL this year and definitely next year, wouldn't it make sense to get a bigger RB? Like a Scarbarough sized RB? Honestly sub 210 just isn't exactly gonna match all that well with that massive OL imo. I was wondering if Cristobal would convert a tight end or two into full backs. We have 4/5 (depending on how you classify Kampoyer) scholarship TE's plus Matt Mariota. I haven't seen too many two TE spots so I would imagine that most of those guys will just be chilling on the sidelines. I think it would make a lot of sense to convert one of those guys into a bruiser RB. Unfortunately I haven't read anything like that from practice reports....
Quietduck
Four Star Recruit

Re: Big Bruiser

Post by Quietduck »

Actually a shorter back works great with a big line. See Emmitt Smith 5'9"
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

No because from what I've read we're going to be using a lot of Pistol looks and we still need a quick back who can hit the hole even if it does allow for those bigger backs to have extra depth.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Looking towards the future, I would much rather hand the ball off to a low center of gravity bowling ball like CJ Verdell (regardless of down and distance) than a converted tight end.
Jesseisabeast
One Star Recruit

Post by Jesseisabeast »

They’ve said they were usingat using our OL depth in creative ways which I assume means jumbo sets with extra linemen and maybe some OL at fullback...
ducks5ever
Four Star Recruit

Post by ducks5ever »

My only issue is that you aren't going to wear down opposing defenses in the 4th quarter with a small back. (case in point Alabama). You need a 235 lb+ back because the dude isn't fast but harder to bring down.

I also see a supply/demand imbalance where we have a ton of tight ends and little demand for them since I haven't seen many 2 TE sets. The only justification i could see for not doing so this year is that we need more players with receiving capabilities and the wideouts may not be up for the challenge.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

ducks5ever wrote:My only issue is that you aren't going to wear down opposing defenses in the 4th quarter with a small back. (case in point Alabama). You need a 235 lb+ back because the dude isn't fast but harder to bring down.
We wore teams down like crazy with LMJ/Barner/DAT. It isn't like Alabama's philosophy is just to give the ball to big guys regardless of whether or not they are actually good running backs. They get elite running back recruits that are big, fast and every other attribute needed to excel at the RB position. That is a far cry from handing the ball off to guys like Ryan Bay, Hunter Kampmoyer and Matt Mariota, just because they are a certain weight. Defenses would love to see those guys carrying the ball, rather than TBJ, Verdell, etc.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

McCaffrey and Love put up huge, record breaking numbers behind huge O-lines at Furd, occasionally with a fullback, occasionally with a jumbo set. The Ducks don’t necessarily need a big, Blount-type back to succeed. Always a bonus however in goal line situations.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

cyrus habibi-likio
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Seem to remember teams completely worn out late 3rd and 4th quarters and lmj going off for some big yards. So don’t think you need a big back to wear teams down.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

duckfan96 wrote:Seem to remember teams completely worn out late 3rd and 4th quarters and lmj going off for some big yards. So don’t think you need a big back to wear teams down.
True but you need multiple threats and depth, not just at RB's. I agree LMJ was a big time back for the Ducks but as mentioned we had RB depth behind him and threats at WR, TE and a pretty good dual threat QB...... that is what wore teams down...or tempo didn't hurt either. With that said, I love the fact we are bringing in the hogs up front!
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

It makes sense to have the best running back, not the biggest running back. If you look at the best running backs in the country the last 10 or so years, they're typically around 5'9-6'1, 200-220. I'm happy to put together a list when I get time, but that's what I came up with last time I dove into it. Having a plus-sized back is sort of a myth -- if it was actually better, you'd more popularity in having fullbacks, but the reality is they're going by the wayside. Give me Bryce Love over a slow bruiser with poor vision every time.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Let's look at some of the better non Duck RBs from the past few years of Pac-12 play.

Ronald Jones: 5'11" 207

Myles Gaskin: 5'10" 194

Bryce Love: 5'10" 203

Christian McCaffrey: 5'11" 205

Stephen Carr: 6" 205

It's nice to have a Freeman or a Blount sized back, but those guys are outliers. Verdell is 5'9" 201. TBJ is 5'9" 190. Travis Dye is 5'8" 197. Cyrus is 6'1" 207. Felix is 5'10" 178.

It would be nice to have a Najee Harris or Bo Scarborough, but you can wear down the defense with our guys. My biggest concern has been CJ's health, with him missing some camp this year and being injured last year. I am happy to see Travis Dye so stout, and Cyrus looking so good at camp. Cyrus' high school highlights were impressive.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

GDT, thanks for putting that together.

Like any other position, if you have two guys of equal skill, take the bigger guy. But if you have two guys of different sizes and different skills, take the more skillful. It's better to hit the right hole at 200 pounds than hit the wrong one at 230.
Last edited by StevensTechU on Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Would still take LaMichael over any back we've had with the exception of maybe Stewart his senior year. LaMichael played very physical.