Willie, we dodged a bullet!

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan22
Senior

Re: Willie, we dodged a bullet!

Post by duckfan22 »

pezsez1 wrote:Shouldn't we be focusing on how glad we are that Willie is gone? :lol:

I think it's time we get over Helfrich and moved on. He did some great things for the program -- he brought us Marcus and Herbert, and he did coach the team to a national title after a tumultuous first year -- but clearly, he wasn't the right guy for the long run. He lost the locker room after Marcus left. He couldn't make the right hire for DC, even if the AD seemed to be limiting his budget compared to what it's willing to pay out now. He was too Mike Riley-ish for the average Duck fan. Etc., etc.

No need to keep kicking dirt on the dude, especially when Slick Willie (who had maybe 1/4 of Helf's coaching IQ) royally dicked us in ways Helf never did.
1/4 being to way to kind lol I admit i drank the koolaide when Slick got the job. Didnt take long tho
to see the guy has no clue on game day. I liked Helf but you could tell he was in over his head towards the
end. Just could not adjust to the times in recruiting.

The one thing Willie did tho is bring in coaches that actually know football. And they were smart
enough to see through slicks bs. I really like Mario and the staff we have. I think Mario learned a lot
during his time with Saban. You can also see the players care about the coaches here now.

I think the ducks are in a better place now. Will take a couple of Marios top recruiting class to
really take off. Go Ducks
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Mark's undoing was his inability to hire good coaches to help him.

He's a prodigious playcaller and x/o guy. He was perfect as the borderline spectrum OC.

He probably should have cleaned house after year 1, but hiring Pellum and then giving him a pass for the worst defense in college football in many years was a terrible decision that cost the program a seat at the big dog table.

By the time hoke got hired, other coaches in the package 12 were mystified why he hadn't been fired. The consensus was that the staff had no clue what they were doing.

If the AD shouldn't have given him enough rope to hang himself.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Back to Slick, he's gotta love the national press. From USA Today Misery Index column

Florida State: The only way you could have a worse high-profile coaching debut than Willie Taggart would be if the Seminoles had actually lost to Samford. Instead, they had to pull a 36-26 victory out of their rear ends, only taking the lead with 4:04 remaining. Indeed, after getting embarrassed at home by Virginia Tech in the opener, Florida State was very much in danger of losing this game. Even at the end, they had to stop yet another Samford drive with a fourth interception of Devlin Hodges, who had torched them for 475 passing yards. As if that wasn't bad enough, the Seminoles couldn't even celebrate those interceptions properly because they unveiled their turnover gimmick and it, uh, wasn’t impressive. Whereas Miami has a diamond-crusted turnover chain, Florida State has… a red backpack. No, Willie. Just no. Not since last season when Tennessee held up a trash can on the sideline has a team been made fun of this relentlessly. Get rid of it. Now.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Yes, back to Willie. I heard a media report saying is reported to be the most hated coach ever after only two games by its fan base! Lol. Its going to be a long season Slick!
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Alan wrote:Yes, back to Willie. I heard a media report saying is reported to be the most hated coach ever after only two games by its fan base! Lol. Its going to be a long season Slick!
I think there is a real chance they lose to Syracuse next week.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I will give credit to Willie for 1) proving you can recruit to Oregon at a high level and 2) bringing so many top assistants that ended up staying with Cristobal.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

Maybe Willie thinks the red backpack fits thematically with riding on his bus? :lol:
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

greenyellow wrote:I will give credit to Willie for 1) proving you can recruit to Oregon at a high level and 2) bringing so many top assistants that ended up staying with Cristobal.
He did bring in an all star group of coaches, but as stated before I wonder how many coaches stayed because after working with him for a short while the saw through his BS. Also how much he contributed to recrand how much was it his assistant coaches, recruiting certainly did not fall of after he left.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

I can’t say for sure that the coaches saw through Willie’s BS, but I’ve heard Herbert sure did. I heard indirectly from his mom that Justin Herbert really wanted Mario to be the coach even before Willie left for FSU. It just feels like the players are already having more fun this season, the most fun since Chip was the coach. The postgame interviews with Joey Mac have been great, the players are always teasing each other and joking around and are obviously having a great time.
I’m with everyone else, we’re better off without Willie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
5$
Five Star Recruit

Post by 5$ »

Willie used to yell at players in their face when he was mad at them. My mom didn't like that. I am pleased with how things turned out with Cristobal et al. after he left.
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

Duck07 wrote:How could anyone not come away feeling disappointed during that time when we all wanted to see Mark succeed? Here's a guy who grew up in the state rooting for Oregon, was smart and knew the X's and O's, was a part of our recent, wild success and played his own role in it all and by all accounts, is actually a nice person. Then we did do those things with Marcus and afterwards it all fell apart with no answers and no hope in sight. Some of the things that made him great as an OC were also unfortunately things that made it more difficult for him to be able to recruit in this day and age and be an effective HC.

The old game threads are still up and you can find plenty of people who posted during that first season that Mark wasn't cut out for the job and it wasn't just the usual crowd who were having those in game reactions they normally do when we're not up 21-0 right out of the gate.
While I realize this is at the beginning page of this thread, this is exactly right on. I was huge Helf supporter, not because I thought he was the best person for the HC but because I wanted him to succeed at Oregon for who he is as a person. Helfrich is Oregon Football's shining version of The Peter Principle.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

lmduck

Post by lmduck »

my honest intent here is not to bash WT. I did not like him but agree that he brought in some good assistants. We are lucky for that.

Just my observation and nothing more but when I hear the current coaches interviewed on occasion they indirectly say things that IMPLY they did not love WT. I wish I could remember the exact wording but Keith Heyward was interviewed and he made a comment along the lines of 'things are much more organized now. Mario has a real vision for this program'. Again that quote is me paraphrasing. When I first heard it, it did not register much but something told me to go back and listen to the interview again and I did and I realized he (Heyward) was saying something indirectly. I wish I could find the interview, it was right when fall camp started. Not trying to fan flames here but just sharing.

I will also say that I had a chance to meet MC this past summer at a fund raising event for the AD that I chaired. Mario and Jim Mastro attended and I had a chance to spend considerable time with both. Driving home from the event I kept going back to how genuine they were. Mario is so passionate about the game and while he is not a rah-rah guy, his passion is palpable. He gave me a full overview on hip rotation and why it is important at the LOS. Oh my, it was a lesson.

Mastro is also the same way. He told me about how he teaches pass pro techniques to RBs. It was really interesting, maybe a little more than I needed to know but again his passion came through.

I just hope the wins keep coming because these are quality people who you can't help but like and have in charge of the program.

My two cents!
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

^ Yeah, I think it all boils down to authenticity. Willie was fairly effective but clearly inauthentic, MC is hopefully effective but is assuredly authentic. You can have a coach who's inauthentic and still root for them (urban) but it's so much easier to root for a guy whom you can just trust.
Last edited by lukeyrid13 on Fri Sep 14, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

If Jamis Winston is your quarterback you cheer the wins and make excuses for the behavior. When Marcus Mariota is your QB you cheer the wins and take enormous pride he represents your school.