Andrew Greif leaving Oregonian

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

greenyellow

Andrew Greif leaving Oregonian

Post by greenyellow »

Today was Andrew Greif's last day at the Oregonian as the Ducks beat reporter. He's headed down to the LA Times to cover the Clippers. Even though this move has been known for a month now, the Oregonian still doesn't have a new reporter hired yet so we're going to have to deal with Ken Goe's writing/coverage for a few weeks. I've never been impressed with Goe's work outside of T&F and he's even admitted that he's not that big of a fan of D1 football.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Re: Andrew Greif leaving Oregonian

Post by TualatinDuck »

He is not a fan of D1 football or the Ducks.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

The Oregonian hired a freelance beat writer, Bob Lundberg. He says he'll be covering Ducks, Beavers, and preps.
The Oregonian keeps dying, hence all the reporters fleeing for greener pastures. Canzano and his clicks are safe. I don't dislike him as much as I used to, he seems to have calmed down. Maybe it's because I kept running into him and his family at coffee or breakfast this past year, and it kind of humanized him.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Doesn't sound like that guy is going to be the Ducks full-time beat writer as Greif said Goe would be covering the Ducks for a couple weeks while this guy will be back in the next week. If he is going to be the Ducks beat reporter, the Oregonian will have really scraped the bottom of the barrel for their coverage of the top college football team in the state.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Though I don't read the print version, Oregonlive has been a big steaming pile of click-bait since about 2013. I thought Greif and Alger have done solid jobs on the Ducks beat. Much better than the Top 10 lists and non-news BS that plagues most of the site.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Not to be confused with ‘Lumbergh’ from Office Space, but possible...Anyone vacationing in the summer swelter of the SE, and claiming to be in SEC territory, could mean a SEC honk/anti PAC12 writer. Would be nice to know his credentials. Generally like (liked) Greif, Alger, and Nemec. Goe can be a little anti-Duck, but makes up for it with his in-depth T&F reporting, which you won’t find anywhere else, so I give him a pass.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Everythingsducky wrote:Not to be confused with ‘Lumbergh’ from Office Space, but possible...Anyone vacationing in the summer swelter of the SE, and claiming to be in SEC territory, could mean a SEC honk/anti PAC12 writer. Would be nice to know his credentials. Generally like (liked) Greif, Alger, and Nemec. Goe can be a little anti-Duck, but makes up for it with his in-depth T&F reporting, which you won’t find anywhere else, so I give him a pass.
Based on his twitter he covered OSU and prep sports then it sounds like his contract ended and the Oregonian picked him up to do this.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

The new beat writer will be James Crepea, who covered Auburn for AL.com the Alabama equivalent of O-Live.

https://twitter.com/JamesCrepea/status/ ... 7547719681
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Auburn fans don't exactly speak highly of this guy...say he's very negative....but hey, wait and see, maybe the fresh air of the Northwest cheers him up.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Fans seldom have praise for reporters covering their team. Remember not that long ago Slick Willie wouldn't even talk to Greif. I just want someone who can write a coherent sentence, proofread, and provide some insight.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Kinda surprised they couldn't find someone with a bit more history covering sports on the West Coast.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

maxduck wrote:Fans seldom have praise for reporters covering their team. Remember not that long ago Slick Willie wouldn't even talk to Greif. I just want someone who can write a coherent sentence, proofread, and provide some insight.

So Matt Prehm?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

buckmarkduck wrote:
maxduck wrote:Fans seldom have praise for reporters covering their team. Remember not that long ago Slick Willie wouldn't even talk to Greif. I just want someone who can write a coherent sentence, proofread, and provide some insight.

So Matt Prehm?
With Prehm not even having a journalism degree, he'd be the last person hired at any publication. He'll continue on with DT as long as 247Sports is okay with clickbait and minimal writing skills.