#7 Stanford @ #20 Oregon (Sept. 22, Sat 5 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Re: #7 Stanford @ #20 Oregon (Sept. 22, Sat 5 PM ABC)

Post by Alan »

One bad call by the refs
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I find it absolutely shocking that TBJ was nowhere to be found for much of that game. I know he got hurt early but he was out there on a kickoff return so I don't know why he couldn't contribute on offense. Even though he hasn't really got going rushing the ball, I think I would have almost felt better with him carrying it late than a bunch of FR.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

Unless these type of weird flukey endings become Cristobal's MO (Les Miles syndrome), Oregon is back. The team looked so good, I am so freaking pumped. This type of line play has been the only thing preventing Oregon from taking it to the next level.
hjpop
Four Star Recruit

Post by hjpop »

greenyellow wrote:I find it absolutely shocking that TBJ was nowhere to be found for much of that game. I know he got hurt early but he was out there on a kickoff return so I don't know why he couldn't contribute on offense. Even though he hasn't really got going rushing the ball, I think I would have almost felt better with him carrying it late than a bunch of FR.
I agree, which I hope the coaches pick one or two RBs and say "you're the guy" and stick with them. This carousel is a bit distracting.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Knee-Jerk Reaction:

- Arguably the flukiest game I've ever witnessed. I have no idea why Stanford finds the most unbelievable ways to win at Autzen (Punt Blocks 01, Missed Block/FG 12), but there's something in the water when these two teams meet up in Eugene.

- Oregon was the better team, but they are also fortunate Stanford tried to pound Bryce Love all night long. As soon as we jumped out to a lead, I worried they would abandon the run and air it out, because our secondary is susceptible to the big play.

- Coach Cristobal picked the worst time to have multiple blunders. He got cute in the redzone after the Redd overturned TD, decided to ride Dye way too long in the 4th (he's simply too small for Pac-12 play), and did not kneel on the ball after Herbie picked up that first down. These are all inexcusable mistakes. Hopefully he learns from them, because otherwise I thought he had a great game plan.

- Jordon Scott is a future All-American. He was blowing up the LOS all night long and was a huge reason why we stopped the Cardinal on 4th and short. Ngata is the only other DT I can remember in Oregon history who would have been able to make such a play. I don't think there was a coincidence that the defense went to sh!t when we pulled Scott out after going up 31-21.

- CJ Verdell is next. He puts his foot in the ground and goes! He needs to shake off the ball control issues (near fumble in the 3rd, fumble in the 4th), but he's sensational. Him not being available really stalled out rushing attack late in the 2nd half.

- This is the Dillon Mitchell I expected when we signed him a couple of years ago. He's the go-to receiver we've been yearning for for quite some time. In fact, I was hoping we'd target him even more in the 2nd half because it was clear Stanford had no answer for him.

- Herbert is special. His decisive reads, accurate passes, and overall management of the offense is incredible. Oregon better hope and pray he decides to stay for his Senior season, because the cupboard is bare behind QB1.

- Why is it so freaking hard to snap the ball? Bad snaps killed two drives deep in Cardinal territory in the 3rd quarter alone. I still haven't quite recovered from the 2015 Alamo Bowl and this brought back haunting memories.

- Pac-12 Refs are abysmal ... I'm relegated to the fact that sentiment will never change. It's utterly ridiculous the power they have over games, yet time and time again, they f*ck up calls all over the field.

- This is a very young Oregon football team and we were just dealt a really bad hand. How will they respond? I was honestly more worried about going to Cal than playing Stanford at home. A night game, on the road for the first time, against the Golden Bears will really show what this team is made of. In my opinion, it's a must-win, because we have UW up next following a bye. Oregon could easily end up 3-3 at the halfway mark of the season if they don't move on from this heartbreaking loss.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

greenyellow wrote:I find it absolutely shocking that TBJ was nowhere to be found for much of that game. I know he got hurt early but he was out there on a kickoff return so I don't know why he couldn't contribute on offense. Even though he hasn't really got going rushing the ball, I think I would have almost felt better with him carrying it late than a bunch of FR.
I'm 100% in on our coaches they have my complete support, but they made some mistakes
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

Alan wrote:Ducks can only blame themselves, that includes coaches

I don't understand this logic. There exists external circumstances that people as individuals or as a team have ZERO control over. You aren't attuned to reality if you truly believe such a thing.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

AshlandDuck wrote:
Alan wrote:Ducks can only blame themselves, that includes coaches

I don't understand this logic. There exists external circumstances that people as individuals or as a team have ZERO control over. You aren't attuned to reality if you truly believe such a thing.
Lol, bad clock management by the coaches, they came out of the second half too conservative, why change what was working..... not a question. Hanson had a bad game, at least two bad snaps and two penalties. Also the reversed TD call was the correct call after the ref in the booth explained it. The only bad call I saw by the refs was the no call on PI in OT.

Edit to add, Verdell had two fumbles and JJ's after the play was over personal foal on the kick off return, half the distance to the goal was painful. Ducks did it to themselves.

And for the third time, I'm very impressed with our coaches and they have my full support, every one made mistakes tonight that lost us the game.
Last edited by Alan on Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DmoneyDuck
Freshman

Post by DmoneyDuck »

Also, I'm pretty sure Graham stripped that Stanford WR in the first-half clean but it wasn't even reviewed?!!

Basically, it took a series of unthinkable events for Stanford to win. I've never seen anything, over the course of an entire game, quite like this before ...
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

DmoneyDuck wrote:Also, I'm pretty sure Graham stripped that Stanford WR in the first-half clean but it wasn't even reviewed?!!

Basically, it took a series of unthinkable events for Stanford to win. I've never seen anything, over the course of an entire game, quite like this before ...
Cristobal said in post-game that the play was reviewed but not overturned because it was deemed that the runner's forward progress had stopped. That's kinda why I thought it wasn't overturned
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

greenyellow wrote:
DmoneyDuck wrote:Also, I'm pretty sure Graham stripped that Stanford WR in the first-half clean but it wasn't even reviewed?!!

Cristobal said in post-game that the play was reviewed but not overturned because it was deemed that the runner's forward progress had stopped. That's kinda why I thought it wasn't overturned
X2, he had stop progress because the receiver was laying on his back then Graham stripped the ball.

I'm really looking forward to Cristobal's post game video, see how he handles it.....with class no doubt.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Alan wrote:
I'm really looking forward to Cristobal's post game video, see how he handles it.....with class no doubt.
Yes, if any coach won't allow a team to, "Beat you twice", it's Cristobal.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

The players in post-game said they'll have tonight to think about the game but will have to flush it because they're on the practice field tomorrow. I believe it was Jordon Scott or Shane Lemieux who said that they'll find out who's the leaders are on this team and how mentally tough the others are by how they practice.
brich75
Senior

Post by brich75 »

That was a hard one to lose, but I think we all saw the potential tonight. Put a entire game together without unexplainable mistakes and this team can beat anyone on our league
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

brich75 wrote:That was a hard one to lose, but I think we all saw the potential tonight. Put a entire game together without unexplainable mistakes and this team can beat anyone on our league
X2, the Ducks are a very good, young team. They will have a good season if Herbert stays healthy.