#7 Stanford @ #20 Oregon (Sept. 22, Sat 5 PM ABC)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Greenblood
Senior

Re: #7 Stanford @ #20 Oregon (Sept. 22, Sat 5 PM ABC)

Post by Greenblood »

Feels weird to say, but I'll be genuinely very pleasantly surprised if the Ducks win. I like Mario and all, but I'm just not sure at all what kind of team we have yet. Can't say I've been that impressed with the results so far. Also, another thing that crosses my mind is that Shaw has had such consistently strong teams since he's been HC, either winning or coming close to winning the conference a number of times (2-1 at Autzen, btw); he just knows how to win in the Pac-12. And on the other side, this is Mario's first Pac-12 conference game as HC.

I do think the Autzen crowd has a real opportunity to make a difference in this one.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

As far as predictions, I have no idea. If we're non-competitive at home, it will raise some real red flags going forward. On the other hand, I'm willing to cut some slack to the coaches if we don't win. 1.5 points favorite was surprising.

I will be surprised if the game is high scoring.

I would like to see our running backs used as receivers more.(wheel routes, angle routes, etc.). We've got 2 backs with elite track speed(TBJ/Taj) that if we get them against linebackers would be a good situation. That's been under used so far.

Defensively, I'd like to see our linebackers and safeties have monster games. When that pulling guard comes around on that stupid toss sweep they run, knock his ass back into the running back like Kiko used to do or get yourself skinny and get by them before they get there. Most importantly on that side though, I'd like to see us win some jump balls you know are coming from Stanford's offense. If Jevon Holland can win a jump ball against and take it away, those type of plays are what you need against Stanford.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

GrantDuck wrote:As far as predictions, I have no idea. If we're non-competitive at home, it will raise some real red flags going forward. On the other hand, I'm willing to cut some slack to the coaches if we don't win. 1.5 points favorite was surprising.

I will be surprised if the game is high scoring.

I would like to see our running backs used as receivers more.(wheel routes, angle routes, etc.). We've got 2 backs with elite track speed(TBJ/Taj) that if we get them against linebackers would be a good situation. That's been under used so far.

Defensively, I'd like to see our linebackers and safeties have monster games. When that pulling guard comes around on that stupid toss sweep they run, knock his ass back into the running back like Kiko used to do or get yourself skinny and get by them before they get there. Most importantly on that side though, I'd like to see us win some jump balls you know are coming from Stanford's offense. If Jevon Holland can win a jump ball against and take it away, those type of plays are what you need against Stanford.
I feel the same way... I just dont know what to expect. I do think tho that the ducks
will come out better then against SJS. I believe you will see more then vanilla offensive plays.
Swing passes to the running backs and the wheel routes as you said are a good way to get the
speed guys the ball. The ducks havent as of yet put Taj in the slot as far as ive seen that would be
a good way to get more speed in there. The defense cant let the tree's tight ends run lose they always
give us fits.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

GrantDuck wrote: I will be surprised if the game is high scoring.
I don't think it will be high scoring either. Stanford's MO is not to pile up the points, but to just use up the clock. They get higher scores if the other offense simply can't move the ball and keeps giving it back. The Ducks don't have to stack the box to stop the run, SDState did that, and lost, 31-10.
The Ducks need to be efficient on offense, and as GrantDuck said above, dynamic defensively. Hogan killed the Ducks with success on broken plays, Costello is pretty much the same player; hopefully Leavitt and the defense have come up with a way to get a rush on Costello, disguise the coverage.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Week 4 depth chart:
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Mario is giving Shough a confidence boost for sure with that comment that he's at a "winning level" of play. Hopefully we don't find out until next season
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

duckduckgoose
Five Star Recruit

Post by duckduckgoose »

Ducks Decoy
One Star Recruit

Post by Ducks Decoy »

duckduckgoose wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:Like all Stanford games, this is going to a long game. I love the Ducks but my confidence in the team.

I see a lot of open running lanes for Stanford.
Oregon’s run defense has been STOUT so far this year. What makes you think that Stanford will gash it so easily?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I also feel Oregon's rushing attack will pose a problem for Stanford's defenses. If they mix in the run to keep The Cardinals off balance they can gash them and pull out a win. There's a reason our guys our in the top 20.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Is Burmeister injured, or has he already lost his backup spot?
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

Everythingsducky wrote:Is Burmeister injured, or has he already lost his backup spot?
Had minor need surgery back in a couple of weeks.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Ducks Decoy wrote:
I also feel Oregon's rushing attack will pose a problem for Stanford's defenses.
Our rushing attack has struggled with defenses that are inferior to Stanford. We haven't shown much to be inspired by in the run game. That being said, I just looked up our stats. We are ranked 38th in the country and 1st in the conference. I just hope we are good enough to keep them honest and not put the whole game on Herbert's back.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

duckduckgoose wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:Like all Stanford games, this is going to a long game. I love the Ducks but my confidence in the team.

I see a lot of open running lanes for Stanford.
Oregon’s run defense has been STOUT so far this year. What makes you think that Stanford will gash it so easily?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Oregon hasn't played a power run style offense yet this season. Troy Dye is great sideline to sideline attacking the run but he has no help against a Stanford style run game where they pull backside and/or bring a fullback right at you. Scott does great at NT and eats the double team but aside from Troy the linebackers don't fill the gaps. Apelu has a tendency to get eaten by a lead blocker and the other guys are young and inexperienced. Could I be wrong? Yes, and I hope so . It'd be great to see but the track record doesn't bode well. Once Kiko left the position hasn't been filled by a guy who can take on a lead blocker and still make a tackle that isn't 6+ yards downfield. Stanford is the Georgia Tech of the PAC-12 in the fact that everyone else runs similar schemes on their offense and come Stanford week you're focus changes to doing the little things because they're so great at what they do.

I don't expect the Ducks to win every game, like everyone else I just wish to see improvement. This will be a great game to gauge how well the coaches are doing compared to last year. It's already a massive improvement with the dip in penalties alone, but now that they're playing a conference opponent we will get to see if they can gameplan accordingly .
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

karlhungis wrote:
Ducks Decoy wrote:
I also feel Oregon's rushing attack will pose a problem for Stanford's defenses.
Our rushing attack has struggled with defenses that are inferior to Stanford. We haven't shown much to be inspired by in the run game. That being said, I just looked up our stats. We are ranked 38th in the country and 1st in the conference. I just hope we are good enough to keep them honest and not put the whole game on Herbert's back.
I think the run game struggles because of the frequent rotation of guy in the backfield. Even with Mario calling for offense to be more physical and dominant they're still running a lot of zone concepts. With Zone blocking there is a chemistry that develops between the offensive line and the running backs. So when you swap them out so frequently it hinders the rhythm of the run game.