Did Anyone Else See The Penalty On UDubs Last TD?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Did Anyone Else See The Penalty On UDubs Last TD?

Post by SuperDuck »

I haven't seen the replay yet, but I could have sworn I saw a Husky player pile on to an Oregon player in the backfield after he was already down. If the officials had caught that, the TD would have certainly been called back.

Did anyone else catch that?
John 3:36
nogerO
Senior

Re: Did Anyone Else See The Penalty On UDubs Last TD?

Post by nogerO »

There were so many missed holding calls against the mutts it was infuriating. Pac-12 refs all need to be fired and Scott as well. What a joke.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

nogerO wrote:There were so many missed holding calls against the mutts it was infuriating. Pac-12 refs all need to be fired and Scott as well. What a joke.
It is getting worse rather than better with the officials. Hindsight after getting home from the game. Both targeting calls were correct and they had better angles than I saw in the stadium to call them. The holding was egregious by the pups and never called.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

As much as CMC hates when the Ducks get stupid penalties, it's refreshing to see our coach step up to defend his players, especially in the face of egregious ineptitude that passes for PAC12 officiating!

Sure beats stoically grimacing on the sidelines.

Controlled, Focused, Anger... What a concept!
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I just found a replay of the long browning pass for the huskies last TD, that was a blatant missed penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct by that UW lineman, within a few feet of the ref. ..... yet he didn't see it..... he was watching a touchdown! I'm 100% on the get rid of Scott and revamp the Pac-12 refs, the Pac-12 refs have been able to move from a joke to a embarrassing joke in one week.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

SuperDuck wrote:I haven't seen the replay yet, but I could have sworn I saw a Husky player pile on to an Oregon player in the backfield after he was already down. If the officials had caught that, the TD would have certainly been called back.

It was Gus Cumberlander and he got held across the chest which slowed him down and let another OL come in to help before getting taken to the ground.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Alan wrote:I just found a replay of the long Browning pass for the huskies last TD, that was a blatant missed penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct by that UW lineman, within a few feet of the ref. ..... yet he didn't see it..... he was watching a touchdown! I'm 100% on the get rid of Scott and revamp the Pac-12 refs, the Pac-12 refs have been able to move from a joke to a embarrassing joke in one week.
I thought that's what I saw. Obviously, that could have been a game changer right there. I agree that the Pac-12 needs to seriously review its officiating crews.

Something else I think should be changed, I think all significant penalties should be reviewed. Either that, or coaches should at least have one "penalty" challenge flag per game.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Duck07 wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:I haven't seen the replay yet, but I could have sworn I saw a Husky player pile on to an Oregon player in the backfield after he was already down. If the officials had caught that, the TD would have certainly been called back.

It was Gus Cumberlander and he got held across the chest which slowed him down and let another OL come in to help before getting taken to the ground.
I didn't see the hold, only the Duck player on the ground and then one Husky DL pile on him. I'll have to watch that part of the replay.

Edit: I just watched the play again and I see the hold on Cumberlander. The personal foul happened after that and was from a different angle.
Last edited by SuperDuck on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
JIDuck97
Four Star Recruit

Post by JIDuck97 »

SuperDuck wrote:
Alan wrote:I just found a replay of the long Browning pass for the huskies last TD, that was a blatant missed penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct by that UW lineman, within a few feet of the ref. ..... yet he didn't see it..... he was watching a touchdown! I'm 100% on the get rid of Scott and revamp the Pac-12 refs, the Pac-12 refs have been able to move from a joke to a embarrassing joke in one week.
I thought that's what I saw. Obviously, that could have been a game changer right there. I agree that the Pac-12 needs to seriously review its officiating crews.

Something else I think should be changed, I think all significant penalties should be reviewed. Either that, or coaches should at least have one "penalty" challenge flag per game.
Agreed on all counts.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

JIDuck97 wrote:
nogerO wrote:There were so many missed holding calls against the mutts it was infuriating. Pac-12 refs all need to be fired and Scott as well. What a joke.
It is getting worse rather than better with the officials. Hindsight after getting home from the game. Both targeting calls were correct and they had better angles than I saw in the stadium to call them. The holding was egregious by the pups and never called.
The problem I have with each of those targeting calls is that neither was an improper tackle or targeting the head/neck specifically. Sure, they were both hits that ended up high, but how many times does a RB or WR literally lead with the crown of their helmet and its never called and thats far more risky than either of those plays with QBs falling down while scrambling. There was no "launch" into the helmet even if contact was made and both players wrapped up.

I really feel like there needs to be an addendum that stipulates form tackling by a player can negate the targeting rule for when the player being tackled is falling. Or perhaps its just QBs, because I see plenty of helmet to helmet contact every game that doesn't involved QBs and there are practically 0 calls unless its a WR getting blasted.

As for holding, there were about 3 really bad ones where a Duck disengaged the OL and went laterally and you could see the jersey tug and nothing. Further, the hot mic conversation on the Kickoff Return early was quite revealing.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

The TE on the big 3rd down play late, litterly pushed 39 backwards right in front of the ref, and no flag. Should have been OPI, instead they got a first down. We didn't just beat UW, we had to beat Scott and his goon refs also.

As for the targeting on UW, it shouldn't have mattered. The first guy tried to RIP Herbert's helmet off, should have been a facemask.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Exactly right

They should have had a double 0ersonal foul on that play

The UW OL was egregiously holding on every play and they didn't call it once. Pretty ridiculous
buckmarkduck wrote:The TE on the big 3rd down play late, litterly pushed 39 backwards right in front of the ref, and no flag. Should have been OPI, instead they got a first down. We didn't just beat UW, we had to beat Scott and his goon refs also.

As for the targeting on UW, it shouldn't have mattered. The first guy tried to RIP Herbert's helmet off, should have been a facemask.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Here's a link, I hope, of the missed unsportsmanlike penalty the OP was referring to currently it's the eighth video down, 29 seconds long, late hit by an UW OL on Duck DL.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/te ... egon-ducks
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

That's the one Alan. Austin is on the ground after the double team and the online jumps on him.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Saw a couple blatant holds on Jelks and Hollins...announcers at one point said oh that looked like a hold or something.