Did Anyone Else See The Penalty On UDubs Last TD?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Re: Did Anyone Else See The Penalty On UDubs Last TD?

Post by nogerO »

I saw a replay on that Browning interception and it showed Jelks coming in from Browning’s right side and the offense oline men and literally had him around his neck from behind pulling him down. No call.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

They mentioned how the ducks gloves drew more holding calls
duckfan96 wrote:Saw a couple blatant holds on Jelks and Hollins...announcers at one point said oh that looked like a hold or something.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Alan wrote:Here's a link, I hope, of the missed unsportsmanlike penalty the OP was referring to currently it's the eighth video down, 29 seconds long, late hit by an UW OL on Duck DL.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/te ... egon-ducks
That's it! You can see it clearly on the replay. Idiots!
John 3:36
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Sewell's dad wasn't happy with the dirty stuff that occurred on the play Penei initially got hurt on:
duckfan96
Senior

Post by duckfan96 »

Wow!
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

greenyellow wrote:Sewell's dad wasn't happy with the dirty stuff that occurred on the play Penei initially got hurt on:

I think it's safe to say that his 4* LB son won't be giving UW the time of day.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Sewell got rolled up on that play. I obviously don't like it, but it's gonna happen to O-lineman. That's how we lost: crosby, Fisher and Johnstone for extended periods the last few years.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Duckenstein wrote:They mentioned how the ducks gloves drew more holding calls
I have mentioned in the past that I don't understand why an offensive lineman would ever wear anything besides white gloves when facing a team wearing white uniforms. If the big uglies are more worried about fashion than practicality, there is something wrong. I don't know for sure how much it would actually help in an effort to avoid holding penalties, but it certainly wouldn't hurt. The Ducks should be looking for any legal edge they can get in all facets, down to the smallest details.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Sewell got rolled up on that play. I obviously don't like it, but it's gonna happen to O-lineman. That's how we lost: crosby, Fisher and Johnstone for extended periods the last few years.
The issue Sewell's dad took is not about Penei getting rolled up on; it's the UW defender bending him backwards with his legged pinned underneath the pile.
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

greenyellow wrote:Sewell's dad wasn't happy with the dirty stuff that occurred on the play Penei initially got hurt on:
greenyellow wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Sewell got rolled up on that play. I obviously don't like it, but it's gonna happen to O-lineman. That's how we lost: crosby, Fisher and Johnstone for extended periods the last few years.
The issue Sewell's dad took is not about Penei getting rolled up on; it's the UW defender bending him backwards with his legged pinned underneath the pile.
I thought the same thing when I re-watched the game. The play was over, and he bent him back. Cheap as hell, but I mean I guess if you are a dawg and getting dominated most of the game, you might resort to that too :roll:
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I'm not sure what penalty your calling on that TD play, other than the hold. I can see only two possibilities:

ARTICLE 12. Contact Against an Opponent Out of the Play

No player shall tackle or run into a receiver when a forward pass to him obviously is not catchable. This is a personal foul and not pass interference.

No player shall run into or throw himself against an opponent obviously out of the play either before or after the ball is dead.

But a QB scrambling can always change direction and come back to where they were. At the time the dawg begins jumping on Cumberland, Browning had not released the ball, and there was close to three seconds before the TD blew the play dead.
=========================================
You could also say he used his knee as he was rolling over him but that happens about 50 times a game.

I have seen an O-Line dive on a prone defender a 1000 times to keep him down, I've never seen it called except when he speared him or wrestled with him to keep him from getting up (holding) or if it was after the whistle. Has anyone else ever seen it called?

I do believe it was done with ill intentions but O-Line being a little nasty is how they are coached.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:I'm not sure what penalty your calling on that TD play, other than the hold. I can see only two possibilities:

No player shall tackle or run into a receiver when a forward pass to him obviously is not catchable. This is a personal foul and not pass interference.

No player shall run into or throw himself against an opponent obviously out of the play either before or after the ball is dead.

But a QB scrambling can always change direction and come back to where they were. At the time the dawg begins jumping on Cumberland, Browning had not released the ball, and there was close to three seconds before the TD blew the play dead.
You could also say he used his knee as he was rolling over him but that happens about 50 times a game.

I have seen an O-Line dive on a prone defender a 1000 times to keep him down, I've never seen it called except when he speared him or wrestled with him to keep him from getting up (holding) or if it was after the whistle. Has anyone else ever seen it called?

I do believe it was done with ill intentions but O-Line being a little nasty is how they are coached.
So, Part 2, Section 27, Article 14 (defenseless player), Clause E: A Player on the Ground.

He wasn't taken to the ground in one motion like a pancake block, he went to the ground and THEN the player hit him. There also is no Tackle Box at that point either because the Ball left the pocket well before the release but its not actually relevant to the Defenseless Player designation.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Duck07 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:I'm not sure what penalty your calling on that TD play, other than the hold. I can see only two possibilities:

So, Part 2, Section 27, Article 14 (defenseless player), Clause E: A Player on the Ground.

He wasn't taken to the ground in one motion like a pancake block, he went to the ground and THEN the player hit him. There also is no Tackle Box at that point either because the Ball left the pocket well before the release but its not actually relevant to the Defenseless Player designation.
This is the note to the Targeting rule and applies to contact to the neck and head.

The Contact Against an Opponent Out of the Play rule has no notation about tackle box, the scrambling QB can easy change direction and put those players back in play.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
This is the note to the Targeting rule and applies to contact to the neck and head.

The Contact Against an Opponent Out of the Play rule has no notation about tackle box, the scrambling QB can easy change direction and put those players back in play.
No, this is from Section 27, Team and Player Designations. The Targeting Rule however does use the same definition for Defenseless Player but this is entirely separate from the Targeting Rule.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... pdated.pdf
Page 44 in my viewer, Page FR-41 in the file.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Duck07 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:

No, this is from Section 27, Team and Player Designations. The Targeting Rule however does use the same definition for Defenseless Player but this is entirely separate from the Targeting Rule.

http://www.ncaapublications.com/product ... pdated.pdf
Page 44 in my viewer, Page FR-41 in the file.
I'm missing something here. We agree that this is the definition of Defenseless Player, what I'm not seeing is where it says you cant hit a defenseless player at all, other than roughing the passer and hits to the head or neck. In fact in examples they list the following:

X. On a punt return, B44 launches at A66 from the blind side and
drives his shoulder into him. The force of the contact is at A66’s side
below the shoulder. RULING: Legal block. A66 is a defenseless
player because B44 executes a blind-side block. However, this is not a
targeting foul because the forcible contact is not to the head/neck area.