ASU @ Oregon (Nov. 17, Sat 7:30 PM Pac-12 Net)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

nogerO
Senior

Re: ASU @ Oregon (Nov. 17, Sat 7:30 PM Pac-12 Net)

Post by nogerO »

lukeyrid13 wrote:I’m fine with this game. Our defense played great and our coaches came in with a great game plan from the start.

Every single break went the way of ASU and when we finally recovered a fumble for the “first time” we put the game away.

Cristobal didn’t drop an easy TD, Redd did, Mitchell dripped a 3rd down catch, TBJ fumbled, Ugo fumbled, Herbert threw a bad pick. He should have gone for it on 4th and 2 from the 37 but the second half falls on the players not the coaches imo.

TLDR: we won and just be happy with that.
If you overlook the prevent offensive play calling for the entire second half. The only coach we've had in the last 20 years that understood attack no matter how far we're ahead was big balls Chip. He knew that with a good lead at halftime the only way to assure a victory was to put our foot on their neck and score a bunch of points immediately after halftime to take the will and want to out of the opposition. This bunch has no clue. Myself and my brothers were screaming at the tv over the stupid play calling in the second half. Disgusting
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

I'm not sure how you can call it prevent offense when you have Herbert making bad throws, WRs dropping catchable balls, and OL missing blocks. I know everyone wants to blame Arroyo for their problems but it's not all on him.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

nogerO wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:I’m fine with this game. Our defense played great and our coaches came in with a great game plan from the start.

Every single break went the way of ASU and when we finally recovered a fumble for the “first time” we put the game away.

Cristobal didn’t drop an easy TD, Redd did, Mitchell dripped a 3rd down catch, TBJ fumbled, Ugo fumbled, Herbert threw a bad pick. He should have gone for it on 4th and 2 from the 37 but the second half falls on the players not the coaches imo.

If you overlook the prevent offensive play calling for the entire second half. The only coach we've had in the last 20 years that understood attack no matter how far we're ahead was big balls Chip. He knew that with a good lead at halftime the only way to assure a victory was to put our foot on their neck and score a bunch of points immediately after halftime to take the will and want to out of the opposition. This bunch has no clue. Myself and my brothers were screaming at the tv over the stupid play calling in the second half. Disgusting
Were you watching a replay of the Utah game or something? That was probably the best game plan we’ve had since the Stanford game. Arroyo can’t call the plays, throw the ball and catch the balls that hit receivers in the hands/numbers. Last nights issues were execution based.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Outside of opening up the 3rd quarter with some blase calls I'm not criticizing Arroyo for that. I believe by halftime Herbert had 4 drops plus Mitchell being clueless on 3rd down and not looking for the ball otherwise he's 23/27 at half with likely 40+ more yards and maybe a TD.

We have 2 football games left this season and I'm trying to enjoy it now that its almost over (and hope my Boss gives me tickets to the Civil War for being such a nice guy)
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Cue Redd dropping a 70 yard TD pass with no one behind him

The fumbles, the ints, all the dropped passes

It's on the players
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Duck24 wrote:
nogerO wrote:

Were you watching a replay of the Utah game or something? That was probably the best game plan we’ve had since the Stanford game. Arroyo can’t call the plays, throw the ball and catch the balls that hit receivers in the hands/numbers. Last nights issues were execution based.

Exactly. IDK if you noticed, but we ran shotgun set as our base formation on 75% of our plays this week. Arroyo literally adjusted our formation in the past week to help shake up our offense. He also adjusted that for the second half of the Utah game last week. We had almost 400 yards at halftime and had ASU on their heels for a good chunk of the game on defense. We ran full route trees and threw to all segments of the field.

If Redd catches that pass, then Herbert has 340 yards for the game and we don't have to sweat out the 4th quarter. Our defense played outstanding and barely gave up 300 yards for the whole game despite our offense giving ASU 4 extra possessions. Our corners were great again and we were able to pressure the QB fairly well.

It wasn't a perfect game but there were a lot of positives and some really good coaching in this game IMO.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

What I’ve gathered this season is that the offense is lacking leadership, the type you’d get from a Mariota, DT, LMJ, or Dixon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:What I’ve gathered this season is that the offense is lacking leadership, the type you’d get from a Mariota, DT, LMJ, or Dixon.

We also have only 1 senior on offense, TBJ. That's unheard of to not have any seniors, whether they play or not. We only have 8 scholarship seniors on the entire team overall.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

I think this is a bigger deal than most realize
lukeyrid13 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:What I’ve gathered this season is that the offense is lacking leadership, the type you’d get from a Mariota, DT, LMJ, or Dixon.

We also have only 1 senior on offense, TBJ. That's unheard of to not have any seniors, whether they play or not. We only have 8 scholarship seniors on the entire team overall.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

nogerO wrote:

I don't think there's any changing your mind. You're hellbent on this coaching staff being terrible and every mistake by players being on the coaches. Sorry, that 6-6 prediction isn't working out. I think the seniors put too much pressure on themselves to leave on a high note in their last game, hence the mistakes by Amadi and TBJ (though he's had a case of fumblitis all year).
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

nogerO wrote:

That's actually a lie. We were just so far ahead that it didn't matter but Chip would literally run it on almost every play in the 2nd half.
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

Phenom wrote: That's actually a lie. We were just so far ahead that it didn't matter but Chip would literally run it on almost every play in the 2nd half.
I don't know if it's a lie, but I agree with you that Chip would call off the horses. Bellotti would as well.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

AshlandDuck wrote:
Phenom wrote: That's actually a lie. We were just so far ahead that it didn't matter but Chip would literally run it on almost every play in the 2nd half.
I don't know if it's a lie, but I agree with you that Chip would call off the horses. Bellotti would as well.
Hell Rich Brooks called off the horses before the games began....