Would Herbert Skip The Bowl Game?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

SuperDuck
Senior

Would Herbert Skip The Bowl Game?

Post by SuperDuck »

He doesn't seem like the type of kid who'd want to do that but if he does decide to enter the draft, he'd be taking a chance with his future if he plays. Of course, he may come back next year, too, so it may be a moot point. I'm just wondering.

An awful thought! Herbert sits out the Bowl game, Burmeister starts and can't move the offense. Opposing coaches would hammer the Ducks over that. "Look at who they have coming back at QB. The guy started several games in 2017 and struggled then, too. If he hasn't improved by now, who'll be the Ducks QB next year? Is that really the right situation for someone who wants to see the field early?"

Scary thought.
John 3:36
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: Would Herbert Skip The Bowl Game?

Post by GrandpaDuck »

I would be shocked to see him sit out, even if he intends to go pro. Besides you can make a better negative pitch than that without the kind of stretch that involves.

Obviously it would be better to win, but if we are going to lose it would be easier to positively spin if he sat out
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

SuperDuck wrote:He doesn't seem like the type of kid who'd want to do that but if he does decide to enter the draft, he'd be taking a chance with his future if he plays. Of course, he may come back next year, too, so it may be a moot point. I'm just wondering.

An awful thought! Herbert sits out the Bowl game, Burmeister starts and can't move the offense. Opposing coaches would hammer the Ducks over that. "Look at who they have coming back at QB. The guy started several games in 2017 and struggled then, too. If he hasn't improved by now, who'll be the Ducks QB next year? Is that really the right situation for someone who wants to see the field early?"

Scary thought.

Are you a working or hoping for a media spot? Shock jock type stuff.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Not one chance in hell! His grandfather played for the Ducks, he's a hometown kid. If you think he doesn't want to be a bowl game participant, your crazy!
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Sitting out didn't help Royce at all. In fact I'd argue it hurt his stock more than it helped it.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

This is last on my list of things to worry about on a Monday
SuperDuck wrote:He doesn't seem like the type of kid who'd want to do that but if he does decide to enter the draft, he'd be taking a chance with his future if he plays. Of course, he may come back next year, too, so it may be a moot point. I'm just wondering.

Scary thought.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

TualatinDuck wrote:Not one chance in hell! His grandfather played for the Ducks, he's a hometown kid. If you think he doesn't want to be a bowl game participant, your crazy!
Please read the first sentence of the original post again. "He doesn't seem like the type of kid who'd want to do that..."
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

SuperDuck wrote:
TualatinDuck wrote:Not one chance in hell! His grandfather played for the Ducks, he's a hometown kid. If you think he doesn't want to be a bowl game participant, your crazy!
Please read the first sentence of the original post again. "He doesn't seem like the type of kid who'd want to do that..."

Oh I read it, just saying his hometown pride would never agree to that.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Alan wrote:

Scary thought.
Alan wrote:Are you a working or hoping for a media spot? Shock jock type stuff.
Why would you ask me that? Of course not! I'm simply "feeding the Canzano's" of the world. :lol:

But seriously, it's a legitimate possibility. Why not bring it up? Someone will eventually, though most likely after the Civil War. There are millions of life-changing dollars on the table that these kids are risking, so it should be a concern.

What was that Notre Dame kid's name who was a probable Top-5 pick but really messed up his leg in their Bowl game vs Ohio State? That SUCKS! Even Ifo is an example.

I can't blame any of these kids for wanting to sit out. Family and future comes before teammates. Sad, but true.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Let me get this straight, you read it, yet you still said this to me? :roll:
TualatinDuck wrote:If you think he doesn't want to be a bowl game participant, your crazy!
I just don't get folks sometimes. :shock:
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Superduck, I will apologize for my comment, it just seemed like a comment to get reaction my than provoke thought. I may be getting tire of the weeks of negative comments about the Ducks. Herbert will play and IMO Herbert will be back next year. Just getting tired of the doomand gloom during what I consider a decent season but the third head coach in three seasons, dealing with youth and injuries. Herbert wil play imo.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

Alan wrote:Superduck, I will apologize for my comment, it just seemed like a comment to get reaction my than provoke thought. I may be getting tire of the weeks of negative comments about the Ducks. Herbert will play and IMO Herbert will be back next year. Just getting tired of the doomand gloom during what I consider a decent season but the third head coach in three seasons, dealing with youth and injuries. Herbert wil play imo.
Thanks, Alan. I appreciate the follow-up. I understand how you feel. Honestly, I've taken a step back a bit since the WSU game. I felt like we could have won, but choked in the first half. I went to bed early for UA, thank goodness! I watched all of UCLA (couldn't miss Chip's return) and then watched the 1st half of the ASU game before falling asleep.

I think our fan base has been spoiled since the Chip Kelly years. After being in the NC game twice since 2010, anything more than 2 losses seems like a lost season.

Realistically, if we could do the following it would be very successful:

Make it to a Bowl game 9 of 10 years.

Challenge for the conference championship 3 of every 5 years.

Win 1-2 conference championships every 5 years and get into the playoffs 1 of every 4-5 years.

Win a NC once per decade.

That would keep us consistently in the top programs in the country.

I see the Pac-12 as being on the rise. The Pac-12 south is going to be a slugfest for the next few years between USC, UCLA, Utah and maybe ASU.

The North will also be stacked with UW, WSU, Stanford and Oregon all being solid programs.

We really need the consistent separation of 1-2 elite teams. There's too much beating each other up right now. It'll be hard to contend nationally if this continues, unless they expand the playoff to 8-teams, which they should.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

SuperDuck wrote:Let me get this straight, you read it, yet you still said this to me? :roll:
TualatinDuck wrote:If you think he doesn't want to be a bowl game participant, your crazy!
So after almost 10 years of posting, we can't make friendly fun of each other?
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

TualatinDuck wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:Let me get this straight, you read it, yet you still said this to me? :roll:
So after almost 10 years of posting, we can't make friendly fun of each other?

Only if you make sure to let others know that you're being lighthearted, teasing, etc. Oh, and only if you spell "you're" correctly instead of "your". :mrgreen:
duck58
Four Star Recruit

Post by duck58 »

Alan wrote:Superduck, I will apologize for my comment, it just seemed like a comment to get reaction my than provoke thought. I may be getting tire of the weeks of negative comments about the Ducks. Herbert will play and IMO Herbert will be back next year. Just getting tired of the doomand gloom during what I consider a decent season but the third head coach in three seasons, dealing with youth and injuries. Herbert wil play imo.
Yes to everything and if Herbert doesn't come back Burmeister will not be QB next year.