Belotti on Herbert: “He’s regressed slightly”

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

OregonFan4Life
All-American

Belotti on Herbert: “He’s regressed slightly”

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Interesting interview Belotti had with Clownzano.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregon ... e_bel.html
Duckenstein
Freshman

Re: Belotti on Herbert: “He’s regressed slightly”

Post by Duckenstein »

Meh. Of course he has. He's still got some growing up to do. Needs to get mentally stronger

I hope he comes back next year And some WRs step up
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I hear s that interview and I agree with Belotti, Herbert has regressed. I think Arroyo has to take much of the blame with his play selection. I hope for two things, Herbert comes back for another year (.the announcers for the ASU game made a comment stating Dye and Mitchell would return if Herbert did, no idea how accurate that is but they did say it). Second not sure I want MA fired at this point but he needs to be alone a very hot seat and learn from his mistakes. He needs to open up the offense and use his prize stallion for some other than pulling the plow. Cristobal needs to coach his OC.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Alan wrote:I hear s that interview and I agree with Belotti, Herbert has regressed. I think Arroyo has to take much of the blame with his play selection. I hope for two things, Herbert comes back for another year (.the announcers for the ASU game made a comment stating Dye and Mitchell would return if Herbert did, no idea how accurate that is but they did say it). Second not sure I want MA fired at this point but he needs to be alone a very hot seat and learn from his mistakes. He needs to open up the offense and use his prize stallion for some other than pulling the plow. Cristobal needs to coach his OC.
I will agree Arroyo needs to improve and he had a bad stretch for a bit (WSU - Utah), but he’s also been a bit of a scapegoat. He came out with great gameplans against Stanford and ASU but the players screwed one up and almost screwed the other up. I feel like we have a talented but mentally weak team, hopefully these recruiting classes coming in bring both talent and mental toughness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

I just don't see how it's arroyos fault
Alan wrote:I hear s that interview and I agree with Belotti, Herbert has regressed. I think Arroyo has to take much of the blame with his play selection. I hope for two things, Herbert comes back for another year (.the announcers for the ASU game made a comment stating Dye and Mitchell would return if Herbert did, no idea how accurate that is but they did say it). Second not sure I want MA fired at this point but he needs to be alone a very hot seat and learn from his mistakes. He needs to open up the offense and use his prize stallion for some other than pulling the plow. Cristobal needs to coach his OC.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

Duckenstein wrote:I just don't see how it's arroyos fault
If you are the OC, you automatically assume all responsibility for the offense, just like the DC with the Defense and the HC for the team. You don't get to be the QB coach in addition to your OC duties and then shirk that responsibility when your player isn't improving.

There a big problems with the ethos of this offense beyond Herbert regressing that are entirely the result of bad preparation and game-planning that leads to piss poor execution. I'm not going to rehash them.

The "poor" season does seem like that it may cause Justin to return next season even if it probably won't effect whether he's the 1st QB drafted or not. Next year's draft is going to be much deeper however with the QBs taken in the 1st round.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

I wonder how much Cristobal meddles with the offense? I simply don't know the answer to that. If he insists on being a major influence, then it may not matter who the offensive coordinator is. I would prefer he simply hire an offensive coordinator he trusts to run the show completely. If he isn't letting Arroyo do exactly what he wants, then our blame is a bit misplaced. I know for certain that I don't want an offense built solely around Cristobal's neanderthal mindset.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

Arroyo's also the QB coach, so if Herbert isn't developing, some blame has to go to him regardless.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I think the problem with Herbert is multi faceted, receivers, fumbles, Injures to the Oline. But I also think the OC is not using Herbert as well as he could, he is a dual threat QB. Also either Cristobal or MA or both are not coming out of halftime playing to win in most games, he/they are playing not to lose. Coaches need to learn from their mistakes also. Cristobal gets a pass but I feel Marcus needs to feel the hot seat...not fired just the hot seat at this point in time.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

gogreen55 wrote:I wonder how much Cristobal meddles with the offense? I simply don't know the answer to that. If he insists on being a major influence, then it may not matter who the offensive coordinator is. I would prefer he simply hire an offensive coordinator he trusts to run the show completely. If he isn't letting Arroyo do exactly what he wants, then our blame is a bit misplaced. I know for certain that I don't want an offense built solely around Cristobal's neanderthal mindset.
It's Cristobal's offense. Arroyo calls what Cristobal wants. That's why he's not getting fired.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Alan wrote:I think the problem with Herbert is multi faceted, receivers, fumbles, Injures to the Oline. But I also think the OC is not using Herbert as well as he could, he is a dual threat QB. Also either Cristobal or MA or both are not coming out of halftime playing to win in most games, he/they are playing not to lose. Coaches need to learn from their mistakes also. Cristobal gets a pass but I feel Marcus needs to feel the hot seat...not fired just the hot seat at this point in time.
I agree with pretty much all of this. I've been screaming all year that our WRs an RBs are just not good. Mitchell is great, Redd, Verdell and Travis Dye are serviceable.

Herbert looks great at times, but that lack of skill players is hurting him. I can't think of a less inspiring group of skill guys in my 25ish years of watching Duck games.

Arroyo and Cristobal definitely need to learn from their mistakes and adjust. The plan right now looks like they're banking on upgrading talent and winning that way. I'm giving Arroyo the benefit of the doubt, but considering at every stop he's been the knock on him is being too conservative - that's very troubling.

I'm getting flashbacks to Andy Ludwig at times. Too many conservative runs and poor percentage passing plays.

Herbert also deserves some blame, he gets lost at times and his blitz awareness is not NFL ready.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

I suspect Justin Herbert is putting to much pressure on himself. He went from a last minute recruit who didn't expect to play much to being the face of the program. For the past year the theme has been Oregon will go as far as JH can take them. That is a ton of weight to put on a kids shoulders, especially with his family's Duck background. Ken Woody pointed out that every notable receiver dropped at least one pass against ASU. I can understand why the QB could start pressing.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Phenom wrote:It's Cristobal's offense. Arroyo calls what Cristobal wants. That's why he's not getting fired.
What does this mean exactly? Cristobal is designing the offensive game plan each week? Cristobal is literally telling Arroyo what plays to run during the game? I don't know what "Arroyo calls what Cristobal wants" means.

Also, is this some sort of fact, or just speculation?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

gogreen55 wrote:
Phenom wrote:It's Cristobal's offense. Arroyo calls what Cristobal wants. That's why he's not getting fired.
What does this mean exactly? Cristobal is designing the offensive game plan each week? Cristobal is literally telling Arroyo what plays to run during the game? I don't know what "Arroyo calls what Cristobal wants" means.

Also, is this some sort of fact, or just speculation?
Cristobal, sets the overall philosophy, and directs the weekly emphasis. This is not a state secret. Every play in the master playbook has his approval, he also approves the specific game week playbook/game plan and observes its installation in practice. If they have a start of game play script like most teams do, he would have final say on the finished script.

He also is on the headset and can veto or overrride any specific call. Watching the sidelines he is not calling the majority of plays in game, that is Arroyo.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Cristobal, sets the philosophy, and directs the weekly emphasis. This is not a state secret. Every play in the master playbook has his approval, he also approves the specific game week playbook/game plan and observes its installation in practice. If they have a start of game play script like most teams do, he would have final say on the finished script.
Do you have a link to the article that details all of this? Or is this message board speculation?

If Cristobal is really this meddlesome, I hope he reconsiders his role during the offseason.