Belotti on Herbert: “He’s regressed slightly”

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrandpaDuck
Senior

Re: Belotti on Herbert: “He’s regressed slightly”

Post by GrandpaDuck »

gogreen55 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:Cristobal, sets the philosophy, and directs the weekly emphasis. This is not a state secret. Every play in the master playbook has his approval, he also approves the specific game week playbook/game plan and observes its installation in practice. If they have a start of game play script like most teams do, he would have final say on the finished script.
Do you have a link to the article that details all of this? Or is this message board speculation?

If Cristobal is really this meddlesome, I hope he reconsiders his role during the offseason.
This isn't meddlesome or unusual. It is how it works when you have an offensive head coach who has a system or a vision. He talks about his vision all the time and that he he participates as a hands on offensive coach. The things I listed were what all offensive head coaches have the right to do. It usually makes news when an Offensive head coach completely surrenders the offense to a coordinator. Plus the offense we see is what he preaches and what you can glimpse from his FIU teams which I have watched everything I could find of them on the inter-tubes.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:This isn't meddlesome or unusual. It is how it works when you have an offensive head coach who has a system or a vision. He talks about his vision all the time and that he he participates as a hands on offensive coach. The things I listed were what all offensive head coaches have the right to do. It usually makes news when an Offensive head coach completely surrenders the offense to a coordinator. Plus the offense we see is what he preaches and what you can glimpse from his FIU teams which I have watched everything I could find of them on the inter-tubes.
What you are describing would absolutely be considered meddlesome. Of course any head coach has the right to influence/interfere as much as they want with their coordinators, but that doesn't always mean they should, or that it isn't meddlesome if they do. The bottom line is only so much blame can be assigned to Arroyo if Cristobal is insisting on having this much influence over the offense.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

I'm just not on board with all the criticism.

We can try to parse out blame til the cows come home but in the end, this is a program on it's 3rd HC in three years, with very few upperclassmen, lacking depth and talent at most positions.

This is a team that has trouble catching passes and carrying out their assigned blocks. They make HS football mistakes because the team culture is being rebuilt from the ground up.

Helfrich basically let the players do whatever they wanted, he said the players could run the team, he was incredibly naive, and it decimated the program. His staff didn't recruit well or develop takent, and here we are. If you're going to blame anyone it should be him.
gogreen55 wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:This isn't meddlesome or unusual. It is how it works when you have an offensive head coach who has a system or a vision. He talks about his vision all the time and that he he participates as a hands on offensive coach. The things I listed were what all offensive head coaches have the right to do. It usually makes news when an Offensive head coach completely surrenders the offense to a coordinator. Plus the offense we see is what he preaches and what you can glimpse from his FIU teams which I have watched everything I could find of them on the inter-tubes.
What you are describing would absolutely be considered meddlesome. Of course any head coach has the right to influence/interfere as much as they want with their coordinators, but that doesn't always mean they should, or that it isn't meddlesome if they do. The bottom line is only so much blame can be assigned to Arroyo if Cristobal is insisting on having this much influence over the offense.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

gogreen55 wrote: What you are describing would absolutely be considered meddlesome. Of course any head coach has the right to influence/interfere as much as they want with their coordinators, but that doesn't always mean they should, or that it isn't meddlesome if they do. The bottom line is only so much blame can be assigned to Arroyo if Cristobal is insisting on having this much influence over the offense.
No the bottom line is no blame for coaching should be assigned by fans to Arroyo at all. Cristobal has final say on philosophy and play calling and game planning. If the coaching is not what he wants, he needs to change the coach, if he doesn't change the coach it is because they are doing what he wants or he negligent in his job. It is why he is paid millions of dollars a year.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
gogreen55 wrote: What you are describing would absolutely be considered meddlesome. Of course any head coach has the right to influence/interfere as much as they want with their coordinators, but that doesn't always mean they should, or that it isn't meddlesome if they do. The bottom line is only so much blame can be assigned to Arroyo if Cristobal is insisting on having this much influence over the offense.
No the bottom line is no blame for coaching should be assigned by fans to Arroyo at all. Cristobal has final say on philosophy and play calling and game planning. If the coaching is not what he wants, he needs to change the coach, if he doesn't change the coach it is because they are doing what he wants or he negligent in his job. It is why he is paid millions of dollars a year.
This is absurd. You think Cristobal should fire his OC mid season, year one if he sees regression? No blame should be on the offensive coordinator and quarterback coach "at all?"
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

karlhungis wrote:
GrandpaDuck wrote:
This is absurd. You think Cristobal should fire his OC mid season, year one if he sees regression? No blame should be on the offensive coordinator and quarterback coach "at all?"
I never said he should fire his OC mid season. I am saying it is unfair to blame Arroyo for things that may well be beyond his control because of the offense and philosophy that he has to deal with being an OC with a Head Coach who also coaches the offense and has some strong opinions about how the offense should be run.

If Cristobal keeps Arroyo, as I strongly suspect he will, it would be a clear indicator he approves of Arroyo's work in his offense.

If you want to criticize the offense or the offensive coaches as a whole or Cristobal specifically I am all in. With Cristobal it is unquestionable that he is ultimately responsible which is why he is paid 4 times more than his OC.

It's not like I'm an Arroyo fan boy, I thought his hire as a play calling OC given his track record was ridiculous, but I hate to see subordinates criticized for there decisions made right in front of, monitored by, and not overridden by their supervisor.

I will concede that in the case of QB development or regression it is easier to accurately pin blame on the QB/passing game coordinator though again the system you have to work with also is a factor.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Timely piece from Ken Woody on play calling.

https://www.ducksports.com/sports/20181 ... rt-science