Bowl Projections for Oregon & Pac-12

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Bowl Projections for Oregon & Pac-12

Post by lukeyrid13 »

That would help us move up a slot in bowl pecking order. I mainly just want holiday bowl and San Diego and not El Paso or Vegas.
Merganzer
Senior

Re: Will wazzu get a New Years 6 game?

Post by Merganzer »

It would also help for UCLA to beat Stanford tomorrow.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:That would help us move up a slot in bowl pecking order. I mainly just want holiday bowl and San Diego and not El Paso or Vegas.
It's hard to say. Georgia would almost certainly be a lock, even with a loss to Alabama. There's the Group of 5 guaranteed slot. Michigan will almost certainly be in, even with a loss to Ohio State or in the Big-10 CG. Oklahoma, regardless of their awful defense, would almost be a lock even with a 2nd loss to Texas in the Big-12 CG. In addition, a win by Texas over OU in the Big-12 CG would rob another deserving team of a premier Bowl game slot. Of course, Ohio State will almost certainly get a spot as well, even if they lose to Michigan or in the Big-12 CG, because they'd still only be a 2 loss team and their fans travel very well. That will be a big factor for all Bowls. They've gotta' sell their tickets.

There'll likely be a couple teams that get left out. I'd still think that WSU would be in high consideration for the Fiesta Bowl, but we'll have to wait and see how things play out. If they don't get into a major Bowl, a WSU vs Oklahoma, Texas or West Virginia in the Alamo Bowl could be one of the best matchups of the postseason.
Last edited by SuperDuck on Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John 3:36
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Thanks for the well thought out response.

I looked a bit last night, and I think we likely end up in the holiday or Redbox bowl against a big ten team. I’d like to see penn state but I think they end up in the gator bowl. So, it would most likely be: Wisconsin, Iowa or northwestern. Not great but not terrible.
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

lukeyrid13 wrote:Thanks for the well thought out response.

I looked a bit last night, and I think we likely end up in the holiday or Redbox bowl against a big ten team. I’d like to see penn state but I think they end up in the gator bowl. So, it would most likely be: Wisconsin, Iowa or northwestern. Not great but not terrible.
Honestly, as much as I'd like to see us in the best matchup possible, there's another part of me that would prefer an easier game, even if it means dropping a notch. The 8 win season is an improvement over the last couple years. Still, I'd much rather get that 9th win in a lesser Bowl than get a difficult matchup.

Don't get me wrong. I almost always want us to get the best Bowl we can, but at this juncture I really think that 9th win would make a difference as far as recruiting, as well as a separation from the perception of mediocrity, 8-5, vs respectable, 9-4. I hope that makes sense? I'd much rather play Duke in the Sun Bowl than Penn State in the Holiday.
John 3:36
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

SuperDuck wrote:
lukeyrid13 wrote:Thanks for the well thought out response.

Honestly, as much as I'd like to see us in the best matchup possible, there's another part of me that would prefer an easier game, even if it means dropping a notch. The 8 win season is an improvement over the last couple years. Still, I'd much rather get that 9th win in a lesser Bowl than get a difficult matchup.

Don't get me wrong. I almost always want us to get the best Bowl we can, but at this juncture I really think that 9th win would make a difference as far as recruiting, as well as a separation from the perception of mediocrity, 8-5, vs respectable, 9-4. I hope that makes sense? I'd much rather play Duke in the Sun Bowl than Penn State in the Holiday.
I agree. A W in the Bowl game will be huge whoever the opponent is, which game, not so important. 9-4 does LOOK a lot better than 8-5.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

If Herbert can’t go, definitely would wish for a lesser bowl. Off topic, wonder if Mitchell sits the bowl, and if he is even entertaining coming back after his no-show in the Civil War.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Looks like the general consensus is that Oregon will wind up playing in CA on NYE, with the specific city and bowl still unknown.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... ns-week-13

Redbox Bowl

Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, California
Dec. 31, 3 p.m. (Fox)
Sherman: Minnesota vs. Oregon

San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl
SDCCU Stadium, San Diego
Dec. 31, 7 p.m. (FS1)
Bonagura: Oregon vs. Iowa

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... redictions

San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl, San Diego (7 p.m. ET, FS1)
Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Iowa vs. Oregon

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/11 ... ry-week-13

San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl
Monday, December 31st
7:00, FS1
SDCCU Stadium, San Diego, CA
Big Ten vs. Pac-12
Projection: Iowa vs. Oregon

https://www.cbssports.com/collegefootba ... redictions
Holiday Bowl Dec. 31 San Diego, Calif. Big Ten vs. Pac-12 Northwestern vs. Oregon
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Re: Bowl Projections for Oregon & Pac-12

Post by wepto »

New Years Eve, 7pm? Are they trying to reduce viewership?
Juice
Four Star Recruit

Post by Juice »

wepto wrote:New Years Eve, 7pm? Are they trying to reduce viewership?
7pm ET
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

The bowl projections are trending towards Holiday, with a chance of Redbox.

Potential opponents include: Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota.

I'd love to see Northwestern, but Iowa or Wisconsin aren't too bad of a choice either.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

I gather that these predictions are based on WSU getting an open bid from the Peach Bowl or other New Year's bowl. If they don't, it seems like Oregon would be in line behind Stanford and get the Sun bowl, right? So the Holiday Bowl is a hope rather than an expectation?
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

Phalanx wrote:I gather that these predictions are based on WSU getting an open bid from the Peach Bowl or other New Year's bowl. If they don't, it seems like Oregon would be in line behind Stanford and get the Sun bowl, right? So the Holiday Bowl is a hope rather than an expectation?
Even if Wazzu doesn't get a NY6 bowl invitation, the Holiday Bowl scenarios are, as far as I could figure it out:

* Washington loses to Utah. Wazzu gets the Alamo bowl (they've played in the past two Holiday Bowls) and Washington would be slotted to the Holiday Bowl

* If Washington wins, and Stanford wins, then the Holiday Bowl can choose from between: Utah, Stanford, Arizona State, Oregon. If Stanford loses to Cal then they can choose from among those team and Cal.

The Redbox Bowl, formerly the Foster Farms bowl, is also a possibility - although they may prefer a Bay Area team. The Sun or the Cheez-It Bowl in Phoenix are possibilities. I'd bet on Holiday if they have the option of taking us, but yeah it's more of a hope than an expectation.
Zyme
All Pac-12
GM: New York Knicks GM

Post by Zyme »

lukeyrid13 wrote:That would help us move up a slot in bowl pecking order. I mainly just want holiday bowl and San Diego and not El Paso or Vegas.
I'm selfish I woudl prefer El Paso as I'm in albuquerque.
DASL1 Rings: '93, '94

K's HOF:
Mark "Wholly Mammoth" Eaton | Retired 2002, age 44: 24 min/8pts/8reb/1stl/2.5 blks/1 TO
Michael "Sweet Home" Ansley | Retired 2007, age 42: 33 min/16pts/8 reb/1.5stl/.5 blks/.5 TO Lifetime .550 shooting %
Gheorghe "Ghiţă (Ghitza, Little George)" Mureșan | Retired 2008, age 36: 35Min/16.2pt/12.2reb/2.1ast/1.6stl/2.9blk/1.3TO (.461/.715/.000)