Tyler Shough is still on this team

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Tyler Shough is still on this team

Post by Alan »

I was disappointed to see Shough come in for two plays at the end of the first half yesterday. Turns out the coaches were on top of this one. Including yesterday's game Shough has played in three games this season. Thanks to this fantastic new redshirt rule he can take some snaps in the bowl game and still redshirt. Coach Cristobal and Arroyo I would like to formally apologize for screaming at you through the TV for playing Shough this season, Arroyo you still have work to do! turns out it was a nice redshirt year for him!
brich75
Senior

Re: Tyler Shough is still on this team

Post by brich75 »

I remembered the rule so I was screaming st the tv, throwing my remote, and beating my dog (130 pound rotty I can’t really beat him he beats me) but I was hoping to see him get half the quarter at least and throw a few times.
desertfan
Three Star Recruit

Post by desertfan »

Would be nice to see him attempt a pass or two, Burmeister is scary bad. If Herbie goes pro I'm guessing its grad transfer or bust at QB next season...
pdxduck
Three Star Recruit

Post by pdxduck »

Alan wrote:I was disappointed to see Shough come in for two plays at the end of the first half yesterday. Turns out the coaches were on top of this one. Including yesterday's game Shough has played in three games this season. Thanks to this fantastic new redshirt rule he can take some snaps in the bowl game and still redshirt. Coach Cristobal and Arroyo I would like to formally apologize for screaming at you through the TV for playing Shough this season, Arroyo you still have work to do! turns out it was a nice redshirt year for him!
My educated guess is they feel Shough is the heir to Herbert, and since they were running so well they didn't want to expose Shough to a potential injury (not knowing the extent of Herbert's shoulder at the time). Of course Shough could have handed off the ball like Burmeister did in the second half, but in a rivalry game you always fear a cheap shot injury.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

I think many of us are hopeful about Shough because we don't trust Burmeister. That might not be fair since we have seen almost nothing of Shough.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I believe MC alluded to the fact that we wanted to run the ball almost exclusively and that BB is more mobile. Looking at the fact that we scored 35 in the second half, he’s not wrong.
Duckenstein
Freshman

Post by Duckenstein »

Bb also provides a running threat

People go all conspiracy theory on this stuff
lukeyrid13 wrote:I believe MC alluded to the fact that we wanted to run the ball almost exclusively and that BB is more mobile. Looking at the fact that we scored 35 in the second half, he’s not wrong.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

Duckenstein wrote:Bb also provides a running threat

lukeyrid13 wrote:I believe MC alluded to the fact that we wanted to run the ball almost exclusively and that BB is more mobile. Looking at the fact that we scored 35 in the second half, he’s not wrong.
Is Shough immobile? Has anyone seen or heard he can’t run?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Everythingsducky wrote:
Duckenstein wrote:Bb also provides a running threat

Is Shough immobile? Has anyone seen or heard he can’t run?
He's more athletic than most pro-style QBs, but he doesn't exactly have the build right now to take a lot of punishment from designed runs. BB is sturdier/stockier so can handle a lot more contact while running the ball.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

A Shough v Burmeister battle would be a lot closer than people expect. Hope the loser doesn't transfer though, otherwise Cale Millen would be the only backup.
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

Hoagduck wrote:A Shough v Burmeister battle would be a lot closer than people expect. Hope the loser doesn't transfer though, otherwise Cale Millen would be the only backup.
Millen might just become the starter. I think he’s going to be legit.
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

I would honestly take the bloodbath of having Cale Millen as a true freshman starter than have to see a season with Burmeister out there. If Herbert doesn't come back, I would like to see them go after a transfer.
Everythingsducky
Senior

StevensTechU wrote:I would honestly take the bloodbath of having Cale Millen as a true freshman starter than have to see a season with Burmeister out there. If Herbert doesn't come back, I would like to see them go after a transfer.
But doesn’t that just lead to more QB recruiting questions? I agree with a poster above. With a handful of games the Ducks won handily, would have loved to see them give meaningful snaps to Shough, and let him run the offense. Maybe he hasn’t shown it in practice, but sometimes players are better under the lights. Finding lightning in a bottle, like Minshew, is just that. Very rare. Build from within.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

Everythingsducky wrote:
StevensTechU wrote:I would honestly take the bloodbath of having Cale Millen as a true freshman starter than have to see a season with Burmeister out there. If Herbert doesn't come back, I would like to see them go after a transfer.
But doesn’t that just lead to more QB recruiting questions? I agree with a poster above. With a handful of games the Ducks won handily, would have loved to see them give meaningful snaps to Shough, and let him run the offense. Maybe he hasn’t shown it in practice, but sometimes players are better under the lights. Finding lightning in a bottle, like Minshew, is just that. Very rare. Build from within.
Jeff lockie vs vernon Adams
BB vs jalen hurts

If we have to, I’ll definitely take a grad transfer.
Everythingsducky
Senior

lukeyrid13 wrote:
Everythingsducky wrote:
Jeff lockie vs vernon Adams
BB vs jalen hurts

If we have to, I’ll definitely take a grad transfer.
Prukop vs Herbert, ‘nuff said. I get it though. Unless Shough has sucked in practice, and can’t pick up the playbook, I just think you have to give him a shot on the field. With a full playbook at his disposal. If, for some chance, the Ducks get up big in their bowl game, I definitely hope he gets some quality reps.