Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

duckfan22
Senior

Re: Herbert Injury Status?

Post by duckfan22 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:No one believes Shough can play ? Did I miss something?
I don't think it's that. I think bringing in a solid grad transfer like Jalen Hurts would not only serve the program well, but it would also allow Shough and Millen to develop another year behind an experienced QB. If Hurts does come to Oregon, I'd expect BB to transfer, though that's not guaranteed.

It would also be very helpful in keeping this class together. The question is "how long will Herbert take to decide if he's coming back or not?" The situation may be in limbo until January. Would Hurts wait for us? I'm sure we won't be the only school after his services.
Baring some major stumble, Hurts and Alabama will likely be playing in the CFP championship game on January 7th. The early entry deadline is January 14th so I'm sure any movement would be known fairly quickly.
Unless Mario helped recruit him and there is a bond there, Oregon seems like a poor fit for Hurts skill set.
Maybe im wrong but would'nt a player with his skill of running the ball be a plus for the pistol offense ? he's improved
as a passer. Of course still needs to be better.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

duckfan22 wrote:
Maybe im wrong but would'nt a player with his skill of running the ball be a plus for the pistol offense ? he's improved
It would, but not if he wasn't allowed to run. Mario has said, we are not a team that runs the QB and pretty much proved it. He also is recruiting Pro Style QBs.

I'd take him in a heart beat, but if I were him, I would go to a school that he knows would let him run some.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
duckfan22 wrote:
It would, but not if he wasn't allowed to run. Mario has said, we are not a team that runs the QB and pretty much proved it. He also is recruiting Pro Style QBs.

I'd take him in a heart beat, but if I were him, I would go to a school that he knows would let him run some.

that makes sense thanks for the info
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

GrandpaDuck wrote:
greenyellow wrote:
SuperDuck wrote:
FlDuckFan wrote:No one believes Shough can play ? Did I miss something?
I don't think it's that. I think bringing in a solid grad transfer like Jalen Hurts would not only serve the program well, but it would also allow Shough and Millen to develop another year behind an experienced QB. If Hurts does come to Oregon, I'd expect BB to transfer, though that's not guaranteed.

It would also be very helpful in keeping this class together. The question is "how long will Herbert take to decide if he's coming back or not?" The situation may be in limbo until January. Would Hurts wait for us? I'm sure we won't be the only school after his services.
Baring some major stumble, Hurts and Alabama will likely be playing in the CFP championship game on January 7th. The early entry deadline is January 14th so I'm sure any movement would be known fairly quickly.
Unless Mario helped recruit him and there is a bond there, Oregon seems like a poor fit for Hurts skill set.
In theory, he'd be great for the pistol, but I don't know if Cristobal is married to the idea of pro style passers or what.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

Running the pistol while not allowing the QB to be a major running threat is ignorant. Part of the reason the offense looked good against Stanford is that Herbert ran the ball early and they had to account for that threat.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Justin's injury history may be why Mario doesn't want a running QB. Could a QB who has a different body style similar to a Hurts change Mario's mind? possibly but we'll have to see.
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Post by neezy3 »

We have nothing behind Justin to run the offense, so it was a terrible idea to ever risk running him this year even in big games. We saw last year when he went down that we couldn't even throw a forward pass and BB still hasn't shown us anything as far as improvement in that department. Our recruiting and player development has been terrible since Chip and Helf left aka lots of misses. I think this is one of the biggest knocks on our current staff, some of the reads and progressions by even Herbert scares me for the future of this program if we don't hit a grand slam in recruiting. Do all of our other WR's just suck that bad so he only focus on #13? Are we not calling the right plays to get playmakers in space and getting them the football? Are we married to a system and unable to think outside the box or adapt when we're unable to win the line of scrimmage. Love the staff and recruiting so hopeful we'll start getting better results in the X's and O's department.... We don't have the players right now to just get off the bus and dominate people.
nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

gogreen55 wrote:Running the pistol while not allowing the QB to be a major running threat is ignorant. Part of the reason the offense looked good against Stanford is that Herbert ran the ball early and they had to account for that threat.
^^^What he said
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Post by neezy3 »

Saw a blurb from Mel Kiper today on NFL Live talking about Justin. He was the the only offensive player in the top 10 on his big board. He said it would be good for him to return for another year and it would be risky for a team to take him with a top pick. He has an NFL body and arm but mentioned he's had some good games but multiple with under 50% completion percentage and has regressed this season. Hopefully we get him for another season...
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

neezy3 wrote:Saw a blurb from Mel Kiper today on NFL Live talking about Justin. He was the the only offensive player in the top 10 on his big board. He said it would be good for him to return for another year and it would be risky for a team to take him with a top pick. He has an NFL body and arm but mentioned he's had some good games but multiple with under 50% completion percentage and has regressed this season. Hopefully we get him for another season...
Just more reasons for him to leave actually. Next year will be a much better QB class, so if you're top 10 after a poor season, you could have a great year next year and not make it top 10. Plus there is no CBA for next years draft right now and while a work stoppage is unlikely, it does put a big ? into what rookie contracts might look like too.

I think he definitely needs to sit for a season as the only risk I see is rushing him into being a starting QB and having him develop bad habits. With a Rodgers/Mahomes redshirt type year next year he's likely a parsec ahead of where he would be if he stayed. I'd love to see him stay of course but his best option as it relates to his development and future career in football is that he should very likely turn pro.
polyduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by polyduck »

I hope that JH10 stays one more year....win a Rose Bowl in 2019 and hopefully we can "hand the keys" of the offense to DJ Uiagalelei in 2020!

#inMarioWeTrust!
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Duck07 wrote:
neezy3 wrote:Saw a blurb from Mel Kiper today on NFL Live talking about Justin. He was the the only offensive player in the top 10 on his big board. He said it would be good for him to return for another year and it would be risky for a team to take him with a top pick. He has an NFL body and arm but mentioned he's had some good games but multiple with under 50% completion percentage and has regressed this season. Hopefully we get him for another season...
Just more reasons for him to leave actually. Next year will be a much better QB class, so if you're top 10 after a poor season, you could have a great year next year and not make it top 10. Plus there is no CBA for next years draft right now and while a work stoppage is unlikely, it does put a big ? into what rookie contracts might look like too.

I think he definitely needs to sit for a season as the only risk I see is rushing him into being a starting QB and having him develop bad habits. With a Rodgers/Mahomes redshirt type year next year he's likely a parsec ahead of where he would be if he stayed. I'd love to see him stay of course but his best option as it relates to his development and future career in football is that he should very likely turn pro.
I hate what you are saying, but I agree with it. I would add that another year in the environment you are regressing in would more likely hurt than help you. A year on the bench with hopefully a competent NFL QB coach might do him wonders long term.

If he comes back I'll be shaking my head but I will love every minute of the extra wins it brings.
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Post by neezy3 »

I think Sam Bradford is the only QB who still went #1 after returning for his senior season. His arm and body will make the scouts drool but the more tape they get of him will only diminish his stock next year when more talent is available. Smart decision is to leave but hopefully he proves us all wrong. 3 unproven QB's next year has me thinking 8 win ceiling without even looking at the schedule and I would say making a bowl game could be more realistic. Wish we would have played the young guys more in blowout wins or losses, the young guys are going to take their lumps on the big stage next year regardless...
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

neezy3 wrote:I think Sam Bradford is the only QB who still went #1 after returning for his senior season.
Luck
SuperDuck
Senior

Post by SuperDuck »

nogerO wrote:
gogreen55 wrote:Running the pistol while not allowing the QB to be a major running threat is ignorant. Part of the reason the offense looked good against Stanford is that Herbert ran the ball early and they had to account for that threat.
^^^What he said
Agreed. I'm paraphrasing here, but I recall Chip Kelly saying something like "he doesn't look for running QBs, he looks for good QBs who "can" run, if needed."

That makes more sense, to have someone who has decent accuracy, and doesn't look to run first, but can pick up a 1st down for you if the opportunity is there. A guy who can move around in the pocket if needed and extend plays.
John 3:36