Leavitt/Texas Tech rumors

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

gogreen55
Senior

Re: Leavitt/Texas Tech rumors

Post by gogreen55 »

dphi wrote:
gogreen55 wrote:I do not understand the appeal of Leavitt as a head coach at all.
He did do a good job making USF relevant.
I guess, like a decade ago. Both Willie Taggart and Charlie Strong had seasons at USF with better win/loss records than any season Leavitt had, for what it is worth. All I know is that if I were an athletic director at a Power 5 school and was looking for a head coach, the name Jim Leavitt would not even appear on my list of potential candidates. Being a defensive coordinator on a staff that can cover for his lack of recruiting prowess is probably his best fit.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

gogreen55 wrote:
dphi wrote:
gogreen55 wrote:I do not understand the appeal of Leavitt as a head coach at all.
He did do a good job making USF relevant.
I guess, like a decade ago. Both Willie Taggart and Charlie Strong had seasons at USF with better win/loss records than any season Leavitt had, for what it is worth. All I know is that if I were an athletic director at a Power 5 school and was looking for a head coach, the name Jim Leavitt would not even appear on my list of potential candidates. Being a defensive coordinator on a staff that can cover for his lack of recruiting prowess is probably his best fit.
Leavitt was their first football coach, they didn't even have proper facilities when he started. It's pretty impressive how quickly he got that team competitive. I do agree with everything else you say though.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

I do believe a P5 team will come after him, not sure how much being past 60 will hurt him....... Les and Herm. I do agree he does not present himself well in front of a camera, I think that was one of Aliotti's problems in moving forward. I'm not positive his family is still in Colorado, but if they are I think he would jump at that job, maybe not....
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Alan wrote:I do believe a P5 team will come after him, not sure how much being past 60 will hurt him....... Les and Herm. I do agree he does not present himself well in front of a camera, I think that was one of Aliotti's problems in moving forward. I'm not positive his family is still in Colorado, but if they are I think he would jump at that job, maybe not....
HIs wife and daughters live in Colorado. They never moved to Eugene.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

lmduck wrote:
Alan wrote:I do believe a P5 team will come after him, not sure how much being past 60 will hurt him....... Les and Herm. I do agree he does not present himself well in front of a camera, I think that was one of Aliotti's problems in moving forward. I'm not positive his family is still in Colorado, but if they are I think he would jump at that job, maybe not....
This. And the fact he wore his heart on his sleeve after Willie took off...I don’t think he has anything keeping him at UO (except his exorbitant salary), and would be gone the moment he is offered a HC job. Very odd 2 years in, and his family didn’t make the move. What, is his wife the breadwinner, and can’t work remotely? Ha!
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Everythingsducky wrote:
lmduck wrote:
This. And the fact he wore his heart on his sleeve after Willie took off...I don’t think he has anything keeping him at UO (except his exorbitant salary), and would be gone the moment he is offered a HC job. Very odd 2 years in, and his family didn’t make the move. What, is his wife the breadwinner, and can’t work remotely? Ha!
I'm guessing his wife and kids are probably just used to the environment, schools, friends and family in Colorado.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

Looking at the in-home visits that are taking place and I don't see Leavitt in any of them. No tweets since the CW either, last year he hit the road recruiting immediately and tweeted along the way.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

alxtw wrote:
Everythingsducky wrote:
lmduck wrote:
I'm guessing his wife and kids are probably just used to the environment, schools, friends and family in Colorado.
Sorry to say, but this is not the case.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

lmduck wrote:
alxtw wrote:
Everythingsducky wrote:
lmduck wrote:
Sorry to say, but this is not the case.
Now I'm curious, in your opinion what is the case? Edit to add, I'm not trying to be a smart ass, I just can't believe he doesn't have a place in Eugene after two years, wife and kids may be in Colorado for some reason. If they are I'm curious to why they are.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

Leavitt never had any intention of moving his family to Eugene. He has a condo he rents and where his family stays when they come to visit on home game weekends.

As delicately as I can I am sharing what I know to be true.

I know you are not trying to be a smart ass, just respect that I have shared some confidential info and that is as far as I can go.
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

lmduck wrote:Leavitt never had any intention of moving his family to Eugene. He has a condo he rents and where his family stays when they come to visit on home game weekends.

I know you are not trying to be a smart ass, just respect that I have shared some confidential info and that is as far as I can go.
It would make sense for him not to have any intention of moving them here if they were settled and happy in Colorado. You say that there's another driving force behind their staying in Colorado and to me that raises eyebrows. Is the implication simply that he has no plans to stay here and any move would seem a waste? I guess that makes sense, but it's the only thing else I can think of why someone would do that. Well, I could also think of other reasons that are rather nefarious, but that's not something I would want to assume.
Everythingsducky
Senior

Post by Everythingsducky »

AshlandDuck wrote:
lmduck wrote:Leavitt never had any intention of moving his family to Eugene. He has a condo he rents and where his family stays when they come to visit on home game weekends.

It would make sense for him not to have any intention of moving them here if they were settled and happy in Colorado. You say that there's another driving force behind their staying in Colorado and to me that raises eyebrows. Is the implication simply that he has no plans to stay here and any move would seem a waste? I guess that makes sense, but it's the only thing else I can think of why someone would do that. Well, I could also think of other reasons that are rather nefarious, but that's not something I would want to assume.
I thought I had seen pictures he tweeted of his home, and him mentioning wild turkeys in his yard. Looked like a nice home with a pool, not a condo.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Gotta think if Leavitt is offered the Colorado job that he'll take it.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

If I were Leavitt, I'd stay at UO if Herbert stays. If Herbert stays, many of the key players would also be back. The team will very likely have good record and defensive stats to build on his coaching resume. Then the KSU fans and boosters will want Leavitt even more for the HC position, no matter what their old coach says and his plans for succession are. KSU is his dream job.

If Herbert decided to jump for the draft, he should probably take the Colorado HC position if offered. His window to make the jump to HC is very limited at this stage in his life.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

alxtw wrote:If I were Leavitt, I'd stay at UO if Herbert stays. If Herbert stays, many of the key players would also be back. The team will very likely have good record and defensive stats to build on his coaching resume. Then the KSU fans and boosters will want Leavitt even more for the HC position, no matter what their old coach says and his plans for succession are. KSU is his dream job.

If Herbert decided to jump for the draft, he should probably take the Colorado HC position if offered. His window to make the jump to HC is very limited at this stage in his life.
With the way coaching hires are made, he really can't wait that long since the early entry deadline is January 14th, long after the date most programs would like to have their staffs up and running for recruiting.