Any clues to what Leavitt is doing?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Any clues to what Leavitt is doing?

Post by Alan »

As someone mentioned he is not tweeting and doesn't not appear to be out recruiting, my assumption on that is the total silence by him and other recruiting tweeters? Is he getting ready for a job interview. Lol, just Curious, has anyone seen or heard anything?
maxduck
Senior

Re: Any clues to what Leavitt is doing?

Post by maxduck »

From 247

247Sports Take: Steve Wiltfong of 247Sports is hearing that Oregon defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt has had conversations with representatives from Colorado and Texas Tech about their openings. Leavitt is lining up potential staff moves should he leave Eugene, where he's been DC for two seasons.

The 61-year-old Leavitt was South Florida's head coach from the football program's inception in 1997 through 2009. He has ties to both programs. Leavitt coached Texas Tech AD Kirby Hocutt when the two were at Kansas State and was extremely successful in two seasons as Colorado's defensive coordinator.

Keep an eye on whether Kansas State comes open, as well.

Also one poster on DT insists Leavitt has conflicts with some other staff members. No idea if that poster has an ounce of credibility.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Thanx max! I thought as much, I hope he doesn't poach Big Joe if he leaves.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

If Leavitt were to leave it would not be a surprise. Gotta think with Mario's connections
he would be able to bring in someone to replace him. It would suck to lose Leavitt tho.
Such is life in college football
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Beginning to think we should be preparing for a new DC and possibly one to two new defensive hires.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

A potential salary north of $1.5 million could attract a lot of interest. As for Big Joe I think he is a family first loyal kind of guy. He didn't leave WSU when bigger programs came calling but moved on when he (and his wife) felt the Poly kids were being treated unfairly. All good character traits IMO and I hope he stays.
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

I think it's very possible Big Joe gets the nod, should Leavitt depart.
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I think Keith heyward would likely get the gig if it were to open up.

I’d love to get Tim deruter but I’d be very surprised if we didn’t promote.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

I don’t have any direct info, but a friend of a friend is a former ducks player and he said a few weeks ago that the defensive coaches weren’t communicating and on the same page.

Total unsubstantiated hearsay but might have some truth to it.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

We may get an idea of the status of the Kansas State position today as their AD is meeting with Bill Snyder to discuss the future of the program.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Wasn't Leavitt the position coach for the inside LB?
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Clues you say, hmmm. How about questions and speculation instead?

Based on absolutely no inside knowledge, I kind of wondered if after getting passed over for HC, getting the big bucks for DC and all the passing out of titles to the defensive assistants that Leavitt might have been phoning it in.

Couple of questions I had about the defense:
They did a very unusual thing with the defensive secondary this year (I'll write a thread on this sometime, I call it "cover .5" for lack of a common usage name for it). I felt it may have contributed to do the defenses regression this year. I wondered if Leavitt signed on to it, was all for it or just didn't care?

During an interview this year Mario credited Heyward for some very innovative things they are doing on the defense this year. Is he referring to the above mentioned "Cover .5"?

As a defensive Coordinator, having 2 of your assistants each given Co-Coordinator titles, one apparently changing the defense and having the defense regress through all of this might your ego get bent a little out a shape? (Little known state secret ... most coaches have huge egos ... promise not to tell anyone!)
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Grandpa, I've scratched my head at the promotion of Heyward since it happened. For whatever reason, top DCs tend to be these intense strategists. Heyward is a recruiter. If they were coming up with the gameplan 50-50, that may be part of what caused the regression this year. I would hope that Big Joe would leapfrog Heyward if they choose to promote from within.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

greenyellow wrote:We may get an idea of the status of the Kansas State position today as their AD is meeting with Bill Snyder to discuss the future of the program.
Should be interesting, Bill's been trying to get his son in position to be his successor.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

StevensTechU wrote:Grandpa, I've scratched my head at the promotion of Heyward since it happened. For whatever reason, top DCs tend to be these intense strategists. Heyward is a recruiter. If they were coming up with the gameplan 50-50, that may be part of what caused the regression this year. I would hope that Big Joe would leapfrog Heyward if they choose to promote from within.
The "Cover .5" (my name for it) involves extreme support for Lenoir which is done at the expense of weakening the defense in the center and wide side of the field. I don't know if the strategy is a) supported by Leavitt, b) is even necessary. There are several steps often used to assist your weaker coverage corner than this.

I don't know how one would know which would be the better to promote to DC, but Heyward would likely and might still end up the DC at OSU if he is by-passed or if Leavitt stays. He would improve OSU because more than strategy they need a massive infusion of talent and he would be the guy for that. I do know you don't pick your DC by how organized the Assistant's player's backpacks are.