Any clues to what Leavitt is doing?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Re: Any clues to what Leavitt is doing?

Post by neezy3 »

Thinking if we divide a huge chunk of that money between Big Joe and Heyward maybe in a co-DC role we could easily retain and keep both happy and continue building their careers. Both seem like team players and I have no insider knowledge whatsoever but both seem to be good people without any drama and team first player friendly coaches. We use whatever is remaining to hire someone to help support on the defense (LB) or go get a TE or QB coach. At this point I'm completely over Leavitt and would be fine with just terminating him now if all the rumors are true and we don't have to buy him out. We've had enough cancers on the staff in the last few years that have destroyed our program so better to just end it now in my opinion. Whatever crappy bowl game we get doesn't matter at this point outside of the extra practice time so we might as well just get ahead for the future before everyone else hires all the good available candidates or starts trying to poach ours...
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

neezy3 wrote:Thinking if we divide a huge chunk of that money between Big Joe and Heyward maybe in a co-DC role we could easily retain and keep both happy and continue building their careers. Both seem like team players and I have no insider knowledge whatsoever but both seem to be good people without any drama and team first player friendly coaches. We use whatever is remaining to hire someone to help support on the defense (LB) or go get a TE or QB coach. At this point I'm completely over Leavitt and would be fine with just terminating him now if all the rumors are true and we don't have to buy him out. We've had enough cancers on the staff in the last few years that have destroyed our program so better to just end it now in my opinion. Whatever crappy bowl game we get doesn't matter at this point outside of the extra practice time so we might as well just get ahead for the future before everyone else hires all the good available candidates or starts trying to poach ours...
Heyward and Big Joe ARE ALREADY CO-DCs. This was done last year. The AD has had a contingency plan in place since MC was hired. They are/were well aware that JL could/would leave for a head coaching job after he did not get the UO job.
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

It wouldn't surprise anyone if Leavitt leaves and is replaced by some combination of Hayward/Big Joe.

But if we were to look at outside candidates, any ideas? I thought of Manny Diaz. He's done wonders at Miami as DC. One of the top defenses in the country for two years. Like Cristobal, a Cuban-American from Miami. Diaz was awful at Texas toward the end of the Mack Brown era, but he seems to have fixed his reputation.
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

GoDucksTroll wrote:It wouldn't surprise anyone if Leavitt leaves and is replaced by some combination of Hayward/Big Joe.

But if we were to look at outside candidates, any ideas? I thought of Manny Diaz. He's done wonders at Miami as DC. One of the top defenses in the country for two years. Like Cristobal, a Cuban-American from Miami. Diaz was awful at Texas toward the end of the Mack Brown era, but he seems to have fixed his reputation.
I posted it in another thread, Heyward and Big Joe are already the co-DCs. The plan was put in place last year that if JL were to leave they would be promoted. The AD was well aware that Leavitt was going to be looking for a head coaching job.
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Post by neezy3 »

lmduck wrote:
neezy3 wrote:Thinking if we divide a huge chunk of that money between Big Joe and Heyward maybe in a co-DC role we could easily retain and keep both happy and continue building their careers. Both seem like team players and I have no insider knowledge whatsoever but both seem to be good people without any drama and team first player friendly coaches. We use whatever is remaining to hire someone to help support on the defense (LB) or go get a TE or QB coach. At this point I'm completely over Leavitt and would be fine with just terminating him now if all the rumors are true and we don't have to buy him out. We've had enough cancers on the staff in the last few years that have destroyed our program so better to just end it now in my opinion. Whatever crappy bowl game we get doesn't matter at this point outside of the extra practice time so we might as well just get ahead for the future before everyone else hires all the good available candidates or starts trying to poach ours...
Heyward and Big Joe ARE ALREADY CO-DCs. This was done last year. The AD has had a contingency plan in place since MC was hired. They are/were well aware that JL could/would leave for a head coaching job after he did not get the UO job.
I meant that we should fire Leavitt now and promote Big Joe and Heyward to the official full-time Co-Dc's not co-co-Dc's or whatever they are now. The longer we wait for him to make a decision just buys more time for other programs to contact our staff and offer them more money. I don't know the specifics of his contract but if we can get out on the cheap now we might as well do it since it sounds like there are already a multitude of issues going on behind closed doors within the program that people won't just come out and announce. It sounds like you have insider knowledge that you can't share so maybe stuff is also happening behind closed doors where they're telling him to look around to save face because he isn't coming back next year regardless. He might be a good coordinator but he sucks at coaching up and recruiting LB's from what I've seen the last two years and has fallen off the face of the earth on social media which tells me he either isn't out recruiting or wants out of Eugene. Let's just speed up the process!
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

His contract is through 1/31/2022. At $1,700,000 a year letting him go would be over $5 million, and probably over a million for a replacement. Probably not a fiscally sound move.
Merganzer
Senior

Post by Merganzer »

Hmm, okay?
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Unless he wants to move back to the West Coast, I'm not sure he's willing to give up such an easy job as Alabama's DC. He gets his pick of top defensive players and he's getting to work with Saban. If he's got any aspirations to be a HC, staying at Bama is not a bad option.
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Post by neezy3 »

maxduck wrote:His contract is through 1/31/2022. At $1,700,000 a year letting him go would be over $5 million, and probably over a million for a replacement. Probably not a fiscally sound move.
Thank you for the information and digging into the math, that makes perfect sense why we haven't made a move...
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

neezy3 wrote:
lmduck wrote:
I meant that we should fire Leavitt now and promote Big Joe and Heyward to the official full-time Co-Dc's not co-co-Dc's or whatever they are now. The longer we wait for him to make a decision just buys more time for other programs to contact our staff and offer them more money. I don't know the specifics of his contract but if we can get out on the cheap now we might as well do it since it sounds like there are already a multitude of issues going on behind closed doors within the program that people won't just come out and announce. It sounds like you have insider knowledge that you can't share so maybe stuff is also happening behind closed doors where they're telling him to look around to save face because he isn't coming back next year regardless. He might be a good coordinator but he sucks at coaching up and recruiting LB's from what I've seen the last two years and has fallen off the face of the earth on social media which tells me he either isn't out recruiting or wants out of Eugene. Let's just speed up the process!
This is about as sensible as the Fire MC threads that started this season. The fanbase was sharting our collective pants a year ago when he was being pursued by Taggart and 12 months later, we should fire him? :roll:
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

Looks like Kansas St. is going after UNT's coach

.. according to one tweet anyway
Last edited by dphi on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Paying a fortune to fire Coach Pepsi, and doing an internal Pellum like promotion of 2 guys, neither having any experience as coordinator seems like a pretty foolish gamble. Leavitt isnt listed in the lead for any of the jobs he has been linked to and Age, Lawsuit Baggage, and Flakiness really stack up against him. He is way overpaid as a DC so no one is going to poach him for a DC job. I'm sure he has the desire to leave but I'll be shocked if gets offered a better gig than he has got.

That is unless he is willing to take less money to be a head coach at a lower level.
Duck24
Senior

Post by Duck24 »

His twitter hiatus is over after four days. Glean what you will:
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Duck24 wrote:His twitter hiatus is over after four days. Glean what you will:
TT vacancy was filled.... time to mend fences?
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:
Duck24 wrote:His twitter hiatus is over after four days. Glean what you will:
TT vacancy was filled.... time to mend fences?
Why would he have to mend fences? I doubt anyone is mad that he wants to be a hc again.