Any clues to what Leavitt is doing?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Duck07
All-American

Re: Any clues to what Leavitt is doing?

Post by Duck07 »

The DC goes to whoever the best strategist and play-caller is. Titles and $ get spent to keep people here.
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Duck07 wrote:The DC goes to whoever the best strategist and play-caller is. Titles and $ get spent to keep people here.
Right. but when you choose between 2 who have no track record at the job, how do you tell? A Madden best of three?

Actually this is a bit of a joke. I do know how they form pecking orders during film sessions and establish in house reps based on their input in game planning, but it just doesn't seem to work as well as judging based on past performance in the actual same job.
Last edited by GrandpaDuck on Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neezy3
Four Star Recruit

Post by neezy3 »

I thought our secondary was looking way better the last few games of the season (lights starting to come on for all those freshman and sophomores). We're young in the secondary and extremely thin and low on talent at LB and DL from our previous coaching staffs. So I don't think anyone was expecting us to be world beaters on defense this year. I've also noticed the lack of social media and interviews from Leavitt this season, so maybe he's unhappy in Eugene. Regardless I don't feel like he's a great recruiter and I want someone who wants to be here and we'll still have a young team next year so let's get rid of him if he's shopping and promote from within. We've seen how coaches not working together in the past has destroyed our team chemistry so totally fine with moving forward in another direction. If we can continue building talent we should be in a better position to out athlete most teams until we get the X's and O's to really compete and have something special.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

GrandpaDuck wrote:Clues you say, hmmm. How about questions and speculation instead?

Based on absolutely no inside knowledge, I kind of wondered if after getting passed over for HC, getting the big bucks for DC and all the passing out of titles to the defensive assistants that Leavitt might have been phoning it in.

Couple of questions I had about the defense:
They did a very unusual thing with the defensive secondary this year (I'll write a thread on this sometime, I call it "cover .5" for lack of a common usage name for it). I felt it may have contributed to do the defenses regression this year. I wondered if Leavitt signed on to it, was all for it or just didn't care?

During an interview this year Mario credited Heyward for some very innovative things they are doing on the defense this year. Is he referring to the above mentioned "Cover .5"?

As a defensive Coordinator, having 2 of your assistants each given Co-Coordinator titles, one apparently changing the defense and having the defense regress through all of this might your ego get bent a little out a shape? (Little known state secret ... most coaches have huge egos ... promise not to tell anyone!)
That will be interesting, looking forward to your observations. I know Ken Woody was critical of the CB technique and alignment.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Just when I thought we were going to have a stable drama free offseason, this happens! I wonder if the defense won’t show up in the bowl game now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Which recruits would we lose if Leavitt leaves?
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I hate the off-season
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Obviously I'd like a great dc. I'd be at least interested in Heyward getting an interview for it.

Seems like a bright young coach.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

If Leavitt doesn't get any HC jobs and comes back that could be bad for the team. Would players play as hard and trust a coach that they know is going to bolt at the next available P5 HC job and would recruits want to come play when they know there will be another different defense in place when he leaves.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Post by dphi »

alxtw wrote:Which recruits would we lose if Leavitt leaves?
He's not really a lead recruiter, Heyward, Williams, Salave'a, and Dennison are much more involved on the recruiting side.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

alxtw wrote:If Leavitt doesn't get any HC jobs and comes back that could be bad for the team. Would players play as hard and trust a coach that they know is going to bolt at the next available P5 HC job and would recruits want to come play when they know there will be another different defense in place when he leaves.

The Ducks certainly need some stability with the coaching staff, going all the way back to DP as DC the coaching turnover has been ridiculous.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

greenyellow wrote:We may get an idea of the status of the Kansas State position today as their AD is meeting with Bill Snyder to discuss the future of the program.
Meeting postponed, apparently Snyder wanted more time to consider his future. Possible it won't be until next week. The 79 year old Bill Snyder leaving the football program in limbo this time of year seems wrong.

http://themercury.com/k_state_sports/k- ... 9ef3a.html
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

At some point, Kansas State needs to tell Snyder off. He's not going to be there forever and shouldn't be holding the athletic department hostage nearly every year trying to get his son the HC job.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

karlhungis wrote:I hate the off-season
Our turnover here lately has been awful. I miss stability. Hopefully it stabilizes at some point (soon).

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
GoDucksTroll
Sophomore

Post by GoDucksTroll »

At this point I'm thinking Leavitt is gonezo.

The real question is whether we promote from within or bring in a big time coordinator. Having $1.5-2 million to spend is a big plus.

Agreed with all the sentiments about wanting stability. This is stressful.