Top 3 defenses in yards per play allowed (Pac-12)

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

GrantDuck
Senior

Top 3 defenses in yards per play allowed (Pac-12)

Post by GrantDuck »

2. Washington
3. Utah

Without looking, can anyone guess #1?
duckfan22
Senior

Re: Top 3 defenses in yards per play allowed (Pac-12)

Post by duckfan22 »

GrantDuck wrote:1.
2. Washington
3. Utah

im going with the ducks
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

GrantDuck wrote:1.
2. Washington
3. Utah

im going with the ducks
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

WSU?
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
GrandpaDuck
Senior

Post by GrandpaDuck »

Pretty sure the Ducks arent even close. I think it is the Huskies in both Conference and All games, even though thats not the answer you're looking for.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

I cheated and peeked. Surprising answer.
OregonFan4Life
All-American

Post by OregonFan4Life »

Arizona State?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Cal
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

I hated this stat when we had the bend-don't-break because while 5 yards allowed per play is considered good, we were literally giving 5 yards up each play. It seemed like we could NEVER get a 3 and out.
wepto
Four Star Recruit

Post by wepto »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:I hated this stat when we had the bend-don't-break because while 5 yards allowed per play is considered good, we were literally giving 5 yards up each play. It seemed like we could NEVER get a 3 and out.
Yards per play can be a misleading stat. Points per possession is the best single metric for measuring a team's defensive and offensive output. It was a hard to find stat for a long time, but cfbanalytics.com has it available. That being said, looking at a variety of stats will paint a better picture of a team than any single stat will.

Oregon is at 2.7 pts per offensive possession, which ranks #22 in the country. Oregon gives up 1.96 pts per possession, which is somewhere in the middle tiers, but the website is kinda bad and doesn't have rank numbers (or I can't figure out how to display them) and I'm not counting that far. Oregon State gives up 3.47 pts per possession, which is second to last. By contrast, Alabama's offense is #2 and their defense is #4.

cfbanalytics also has data on the percentage of drives resulting in touchdowns, which George Wrighster has talked about on his podcast and youtube/twitter show, and is how I heard about the site in the first place.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

greenyellow wrote:Cal
You got it!

No surprise our informed moderator gets it.

I had to double check this myself..and over the 2nd half of conference, they were lights out on defense.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

karlhungis wrote:Image
:idea:
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

wepto wrote:
DuckMastaFunk wrote:I hated this stat when we had the bend-don't-break because while 5 yards allowed per play is considered good, we were literally giving 5 yards up each play. It seemed like we could NEVER get a 3 and out.
Yards per play can be a misleading stat. Points per possession is the best single metric for measuring a team's defensive and offensive output. It was a hard to find stat for a long time, but cfbanalytics.com has it available. That being said, looking at a variety of stats will paint a better picture of a team than any single stat will.

Oregon is at 2.7 pts per offensive possession, which ranks #22 in the country. Oregon gives up 1.96 pts per possession, which is somewhere in the middle tiers, but the website is kinda bad and doesn't have rank numbers (or I can't figure out how to display them) and I'm not counting that far. Oregon State gives up 3.47 pts per possession, which is second to last. By contrast, Alabama's offense is #2 and their defense is #4.

cfbanalytics also has data on the percentage of drives resulting in touchdowns, which George Wrighster has talked about on his podcast and youtube/twitter show, and is how I heard about the site in the first place.
Ehh, yes and no. Points per possession doesn't factor in field position, opponents missing FG's, or random bad unforced turnovers.

Yards per play allowed is a much more pure representation of what the defense itself is doing, independently. Of course, it has its flaws too, as you point out, including that it's not going to measure a good RZ defense or a defense that creates a lot of turnovers.

I would take either one over traditional stats like "total yards".

FWIW Pac-12 top 3 on points per possession defense are the same, although the order is UW, Utah, Cal.
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

GrantDuck wrote: Yards per play allowed is a much more pure representation of what the defense itself is doing, independently. Of course, it has its flaws too, as you point out, including that it's not going to measure a good RZ defense or a defense that creates a lot of turnovers.

I would take either one over traditional stats like "total yards".
Preach it, brother. The YPP allowed stat is assuredly imperfect, but much better than the standard "total yards" stat. I have at different times also mentioned the https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/fei website for "advanced" analytics. I don't know how it compares to the cfbanalytics.com site mentioned above.