21%
Give him one more year
56%

Total votes: 66
Alan
Senior

Arroyo

Post by Alan »

He is the one Ducks coach in a major coaching position, OC, who I have some real issues with. I wouldn't be sad to see him replaced, his play calling was bad to say the least and his use of Herbert and other key players was terrible IMO. I don't know the position coaches well enough to pass judgment........ #bigjoeforever! #fillthesleeves! Yea, keep those two! Great energy for the program.
dphi
Two Star Recruit

Re: Arroyo

Post by dphi »

Honestly I have less of an issue with his playcalling than I do with his QB development. If Herbert comes back, I'd really like to see some improvement from him and that should be made easier with the WRs he'll have. Better execution will do wonders for the perception of the playcalling.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

Only if there's someone clear that we have in mind. As much as he sucked this year, I'd say give him one more year.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

I'll reserve my judgment until after the bowlgame. If we come out flat and predictable like we tend to against teams with a good defense, then I will support finding a better option at OC.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
picksix
Three Star Recruit

Post by picksix »

God yes .... Please... all I want for Christmas is a NEW OC!!!!
picksix
Three Star Recruit

Post by picksix »

PLUS ... Auburn's defense will kill us next season with Arroyo's play calling!!
GoDucksIn09
Senior

Post by GoDucksIn09 »

The offense not showing up till maybe the second half of 3 consecutive road games is inexcusable at this level. He is being paid 6 figures to put a good product on the field. Not living up to the expectations and only scoring 15 points in the first half of those 3 games is inexcusable. I don't know who would be a good replacement but surely can not be much worse than what we saw at WSU. Arizona, and Utah. They deserved to lose all 3 games and they did. Losing is not the problem. It is not having the guys prepared and not making adjustments until the game was already decided. Fire him is only option here.
midwestduck82
Three Star Recruit

Post by midwestduck82 »

I'm for getting rid of him and hiring someone with a QB/passing background. MC and Mastro can work with the O-line and the run game. There needs to be someone who can focus on the QB and the passing game. Wish they would have fired Arroyo after the season and picked up Kliff Kingsbury.
laxattack22
One Star Recruit

Post by laxattack22 »

Okay. Let’s say you’re Arroyo. And let assume Mario is heavily influencing the offensive play calling. Do you show him all of the message board fans disappointment with his play calling and want him replaced? Or do you suck it up, understanding Mario is the head coach, and is your boss, and continue to try your best?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Anyone who has actually analyzed the playcalling knows it's not an issue.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Phenom wrote:Anyone who has actually analyzed the playcalling knows it's not an issue.
Logic and facts are not allowed in this discussion. Please vote again but with irrational emotion. :lol:
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

Phenom wrote:Anyone who has actually analyzed the playcalling knows it's not an issue.
Can you elaborate? My problem with Arroyo is more to do with his lack of use of key players but his play calling in my eyes is very suspect. Dive in the middle of the line out of the pistol time after time, not much for RPO, no real bubble screens or swing passes. Yes all the dropped passes were on the receivers, not Herbert or Arroyo but Oregon has one of the best dual threat QB's in the country and he didn't even make honorable mention Pac 12, I feel that is on the coaches. Granted non of us really knows how much influence Cristobal has on the play calling, some I'm sure but how much? In your eyes is there an issue or problem with Arroyo?
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

We actually ran a variety of route patterns and most often it was Herbert not going through his progressions efficiently. When he did, you saw his performance in the Stanford game.

Where you can criticize arroyo and probably more so cristobal, is that we never had any read option plays. We ran a total of I think 3(according to hylotheday) during our final 7 games. In games like Utah and Washington state especially, when we were coming back and needed TDs they would crash hard off the edges and Herbert would have gained vital first downs or touchdowns that could have greatly altered the outcome of those games.
smithall
High School Drop Out

Post by smithall »

Herbert is a capable runner. Nothing close to one of the best dual threat quarterbacks. Maybe a better passer that the top dual threat quarterbacks, but not an elusive runner.

Thinking back to last year, I can see Arroyo wanting to limit hits on Herbert and therefore limiting his running. How soon we all forget the uproar when he broke his collarbone last year and how people blasted Taggart for running him when we didn't have trusted backups.
Alan wrote:
Oregon has one of the best dual threat QB's in the country
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

lukeyrid13 wrote:We actually ran a variety of route patterns and most often it was Herbert not going through his progressions efficiently. When he did, you saw his performance in the Stanford game.
I agree and noticed this also, Herbert had a hard time running through his progressions. Inexperience? Confidence in himself or O line? Tunnel vision toward one receiver? I still lay much of the blame on Arroyo...... without knowing how much Cristobal was a play calling factor?