Doug Brenner sues UO, Taggart and NCAA for $11.5 million

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Re: Doug Brenner sues UO, Taggart and NCAA for $11.5 million

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Can we sue Doug a dollar a fan, per bad snap?

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
Penky26
Four Star Recruit

Post by Penky26 »

Can I sue for the mental anguish I went through watching the Alamo Bowl
Last edited by Penky26 on Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

“Nothing would make me happier than to have this case save other football players from serious injury," Brenner said in a statement.
Sure Doug, that's what this is about. Ignore CTE and how nobody should be playing football period <- That's the real elephant in the room here.
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

This is likely the only way Brenner will ever make money from football.
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

Wow, salty around here today. :lol:
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

TualatinDuck wrote:Wow, salty around here today. :lol:

Yah! I was going to post my thoughts....but hell no! Lol
pudgejeff
Senior
GM: Sacramento Kings GM

Post by pudgejeff »

Duck07 wrote:
“Nothing would make me happier than to have this case save other football players from serious injury," Brenner said in a statement.
Sure Doug, that's what this is about. Ignore CTE and how nobody should be playing football period <- That's the real elephant in the room here.
It seemed that is mentioned as well in here.
DuckMastaFunk
Five Star Recruit

Post by DuckMastaFunk »

I'm probably in the minority, but if what Brenner said about the workouts is true, then I think he has a heck of a case. Taggart and Oderinde were obviously trying to send a message to the team, but (if what he says is true) they took it to a dangerous level.

That being said, unless Brenner can prove that the workouts prevented him from a NFL career, I don't see how he justifies the $11.5 million number.
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

DuckMastaFunk wrote:I'm probably in the minority, but if what Brenner said about the workouts is true, then I think he has a heck of a case. Taggart and Oderinde were obviously trying to send a message to the team, but (if what he says is true) they took it to a dangerous level.

That being said, unless Brenner can prove that the workouts prevented him from a NFL career, I don't see how he justifies the $11.5 million number.
What if he proves he has severe permanent injuries or now has an issue with his kidneys? I doubt this event had a major impact on his abilities/opportunities to play football beyond college but should he have future medical issues due to this event are the other parties partly responsible?
StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Post by StevensTechU »

Sounds like much of the $11M is predicated on the health effects to his kidneys and potentially shortening his life expectancy. I’m not a doctor so not much I can say, but if it’s taking years off his life, $11M isn’t that large of a number.

Taggart et al should expect to see cases by Poutasi and McCormick, too, if brenner wins.
pezsez1
All Pac-12

Post by pezsez1 »

I'm probably in the minority, but if what Brenner said about the workouts is true, then I think he has a heck of a case. Taggart and Oderinde were obviously trying to send a message to the team, but (if what he says is true) they took it to a dangerous level.
100 percent agree. And agree what others have said about Brenner's probably health motivations.

I said it then, and I'll say it now -- Taggart was a moron for sanctioning that workout. And if it's true he wouldn't let players drink water on the first day, then damn -- he's even more of a ****ing idiot than I could have imagined. What kind of moron sanctions a grueling workout without letting people have water? That doesn't even make logical sense. Isn't the point to get bigger, stronger, and faster, and not get rhabdo, heat exhaustion, or be hospitalized with dehydration?

We dodged a bullet when Taggart went to FSU. Talk about blessing in disguise. Assuming Brenner's case is legit, I hope he wins every penny.
Willie Taggart is a dick.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

One media report I heard yesterday stated Brenner has kidney damage but none of the articles I read confirmed that. If true it would be in the lawsuit and will be released soon. He was forced by the coaches to go through an extreme workout and denied water which put him in the hospital. He will win the lawsuit easily, which means they will settle before it goes to court. I expect two other lawsuits soon. This is on Taggart who was employed by Oregon..... Oregon pays. The only amusing thing about this is Taggart used the words "snake the grass", there was only one snake in the grass during the Taggart era...... is 11 months an era?
TualatinDuck
Senior

Post by TualatinDuck »

My biggest issue with the incident was Coach O had no educational background or certifications to be a strength and conditioning coach.
"And I can be the warrior for those who are frail and weak,
And I can be the compass for those that search and seek." ~Lem Absher
Greenblood
Senior

Post by Greenblood »

Wouldn't be surprised if Brenner ends up settling for a few hundred grand. You usually can't take the opening demand or requested relief in these kinds of suits that seriously. It's essentially just an opening negotiating number and neither side wants to go to trial. Given that, I agree that the number really doesn't seem "that" high for any kind of significant physical damage Brenner believes he suffered.