WR Coach Michael Johnson leaving?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

bdkipe
Two Star Recruit

Re: WR Coach Michael Johnson leaving?

Post by bdkipe »

Quick math in my head would say the only reason Harbaugh had hired him as an analyst and Slick Willie T added him onto our staff was based on the hope that Junior would want to play for his father.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Well, to be fair, that accusation is why Harbaugh didnt hire him. He has coached in the NFL and UCLA, i think. Let’s not speculate here. What we do know is that our WRs regressed massively this year except for 1. He has 1 good recruiting year and one bad one (likely more to do with WT). Based on the on field work product, I am ok with a change and would love to see MC bring in a technician who can recruit.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

Phenom wrote:According to JHop, MC knew Johnson was looking around. Working for MC is not a walk in the park. You have to WORK. One of the reason Cort left.

Phenom-- Is this true about Cort? Was he lazy? Was a good recruiter... at least from the outside.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

jimmy12 wrote:
Phenom wrote:According to JHop, MC knew Johnson was looking around. Working for MC is not a walk in the park. You have to WORK. One of the reason Cort left.

Phenom-- Is this true about Cort? Was he lazy? Was a good recruiter... at least from the outside.

No, hop isn't saying he was lazy at all. Just that CMC works extremely hard, and expects all his staff to do the same. It can get taxing on a guy to work 80 hours a week.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:No, hop isn't saying he was lazy at all. Just that CMC works extremely hard, and expects all his staff to do the same. It can get taxing on a guy to work 80 hours a week.
I can certainly believe it, about Cristobal's work ethics, it can be very taxing to go so hard non stop. I wonder how Leavitt is dealing with it?
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

buckmarkduck wrote:
jimmy12 wrote:

No, hop isn't saying he was lazy at all. Just that CMC works extremely hard, and expects all his staff to do the same. It can get taxing on a guy to work 80 hours a week.
Yup. Lots of sacrifices that coaches have to make.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

Kinda wonder what the timeline for a hire will be for Cristobal. With the recruiting cycle nearly over, I doubt any new hire will really turn the tide with either Ford or Nacua so I could easily see Cristobal waiting a bit to add a new WR coach.
UofO8
Senior

Post by UofO8 »

maxduck wrote:
Best news of the off-season right here.
Phenom
All Pac-12

Post by Phenom »

Darrin Chiaverini would be an amazing replacement:
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Always interesting to see the spin for a new hire. From the Mississippi State 247 site the guy sounds amazing.

This past season Johnson helped coach-up a passing game in which no less than eleven Ducks caught a touchdown pass. Most were snagged by Memphis native Dillon Mitchell with ten touchdowns of his 75 receptions and 1,184 yards. Oregon had more first downs via passing than rushing in ’18, by a 140-118 margin, and 29 passing touchdowns.

https://247sports.com/college/mississip ... 128165698/

And from the comment section :lol:

Got his work cut out for him with the group of receivers we have. Hopefully, he can teach them how to catch.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

maxduck wrote:Always interesting to see the spin for a new hire. From the Mississippi State 247 site the guy sounds amazing.

This past season Johnson helped coach-up a passing game in which no less than eleven Ducks caught a touchdown pass. Most were snagged by Memphis native Dillon Mitchell with ten touchdowns of his 75 receptions and 1,184 yards. Oregon had more first downs via passing than rushing in ’18, by a 140-118 margin, and 29 passing touchdowns.

Got his work cut out for him with the group of receivers we have. Hopefully, he can teach them how to catch.
Ha interesting! Dude can recruit, so they'll get a bonus there. But other than maybe the Jaison Williams days, this group may have had the most drops I've seen in a season since I've been watching Oregon football.

On a side note, at least their fan base has high respect for Oregon:
I think the Women BB's exposure and success is changing the perception of Mississippi State for recruiting nationwide. To have someone from Oregon to come to Starkvegas with their family tells you something in this day and time.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
woundedknees
All-American

Post by woundedknees »

Phenom wrote:Darrin Chiaverini would be an amazing replacement:
Guess we'll see how far this statement goes:

"I'm excited to be a Buff," he said. "I'm a Buff for life and obviously getting a chance to be retained and be on coach Tucker's staff, I'm really excited. I'm excited to work with coach Johnson.

"It's a different role, but I'm a football coach and I can adjust to anything. I'm excited to be here and help those guys."

http://www.buffzone.com/football-cubuff ... chiaverini
Autzen Stadium... Where great teams go to die...Hard!

nogerO
Senior

Post by nogerO »

Buh-bye.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift." - Steve Prefontaine
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
maxduck wrote:Always interesting to see the spin for a new hire. From the Mississippi State 247 site the guy sounds amazing.

Ha interesting! Dude can recruit, so they'll get a bonus there. But other than maybe the Jaison Williams days, this group may have had the most drops I've seen in a season since I've been watching Oregon football.

On a side note, at least their fan base has high respect for Oregon:
I think the Women BB's exposure and success is changing the perception of Mississippi State for recruiting nationwide. To have someone from Oregon to come to Starkvegas with their family tells you something in this day and time.

Who was he the main recruiter for? Last year he whiffed, and this year I know for a fact Ford didn't like him.