Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Do we under utilize defensive talent?

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Especially on the D-line.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
greenyellow

Re: Do we under utilize defensive talent?

Post by greenyellow »

This guy is a nobody so why listen to him? Hollins and Jelks were playing quite well and the staff used them in positions they'll likely be playing in the NFL.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

greenyellow wrote:This guy is a nobody so why listen to him? Hollins and Jelks were playing quite well and the staff used them in positions they'll likely be playing in the NFL.
You could make a solid argument that Jelks had a down year, statistically.

FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

Lack of depth at LB forced them to be used in coverage rather than rushing off the edge. So yeah kinda but it wasn't by choice rather than necessity.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Funny, last week during practice reports I read Jelks was the biggest disappointment during the week of practice.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

No. Hollins had a great year and was put into position to succeed. Jelks didn't have huge #'s, but DE was the right spot for him on that roster.

Now..offensively..that's another story.
Duck07
All-American

Post by Duck07 »

It was the best of years, it was the worst of years. If you, ahem, #watch the tape, what you find is that Jelks film from last season looks amazing and this year looks meh. Last season Hollins gave you that meh vibe as an NFL prospect and then after a year with Feld he looked and played a lot stronger this season and the film shows that. Jalen definitely was a team player this year though because of the depth problems we had as I don't think he's going to be standing up much, if at all next level.

The combine could be a big riser for Hollins. I think he's got a chance for a 3rd round landing spot if he can show that he's got great burst and for Jalen, I think he just needs to get a bit more of that old man strength so that he takes a more direct route to the QB. At times he ends up going too wide which was a problem for some of his pass rush attempts this past week. While that bull rush clip looks nice, he's got to get better at dis-engaging once he wins but I think he could very well end up as a poor man's Jason Taylor.

Now to the question of do we under utilize the defensive talent we've had. Sure in some cases but that's always going to be the case. I think 2 TEs in particular should have been playing OLB for us instead though and that's Dante Rosario and Colt Lyerla. I know Dante carved out a nice career in the league so its hard to argue otherwise for him, but I always thought that he would have been more useful for us on a greater number of snaps each game had he played defense instead of offense. That same reasoning for me holds true for Colt with having a greater effect based on playing more snaps on defense. While he showed himself to be a talented player, his athleticism on defense could have been very interesting to watch play out. Perhaps like Lattimore from The Program, but we weren't going to stop that train. Plus, it would have deprived of us of the two-man touchdown with Bennett.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GrantDuck wrote:No. Hollins had a great year and was put into position to succeed. Jelks didn't have huge #'s, but DE was the right spot for him on that roster.

Who was under utilized on offense in your opinion?

ducksrock
Senior

Post by ducksrock »

Schooler was WAY under utilized on defense. He started out defensively and excelled... Between Schooler and Dye, I felt we had a great start at the LB position. Then, he was transferred to offense and played fairly well, as a receiver, filling for needed position demands, yet never did return to the defensive side of the ball.. Other than blocking as an offensive player, he was never utilized or for that matter, not overly effective as a receiver.. Why he was never returned to the defensive side stymies me.. Personal choice perhaps? Or, not used in the proper position? Any thoughts?
FlDuckFan
All Pac-12
GM: Orlando Magic GM

Post by FlDuckFan »

ducksrock wrote:Schooler was WAY under utilized on defense. He started out defensively and excelled... Between Schooler and Dye, I felt we had a great start at the LB position. Then, he was transferred to offense and played fairly well, as a receiver, filling for needed position demands, yet never did return to the defensive side of the ball.. Other than blocking as an offensive player, he was never utilized or for that matter, not overly effective as a receiver.. Why he was never returned to the defensive side stymies me.. Personal choice perhaps? Or, not used in the proper position? Any thoughts?
His freshman year, Schooler was the only DB who looked like he knew what he was doing.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

FlDuckFan wrote:
ducksrock wrote:Schooler was WAY under utilized on defense. He started out defensively and excelled... Between Schooler and Dye, I felt we had a great start at the LB position. Then, he was transferred to offense and played fairly well, as a receiver, filling for needed position demands, yet never did return to the defensive side of the ball.. Other than blocking as an offensive player, he was never utilized or for that matter, not overly effective as a receiver.. Why he was never returned to the defensive side stymies me.. Personal choice perhaps? Or, not used in the proper position? Any thoughts?
His freshman year, Schooler was the only DB who looked like he knew what he was doing.
I agree completely on Schooler, I think he was much more productive at safety than he is at WR. Dye and Schooler were the two bright spots on that defense. Schooler would get beat late in the games from time to time but I think it was because the rest of the front seven, other than Dye, were so piss poor, they were would let the runner get into the secondary way too much and it may have wore the freshman out. In hindsight I would have loved to see Schooler stay at safety but for the most part since his freshman year the WR have been bad and always needed help.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
GrantDuck wrote:No. Hollins had a great year and was put into position to succeed. Jelks didn't have huge #'s, but DE was the right spot for him on that roster.

Who was under utilized on offense in your opinion?
Breeland. I believe he had the 1st or 2nd highest passer rating for targeted TE's in the conference.

Cyrus Habibi-Likio was also grossly underused. EG, we'd use him on the goal line, but not on 4th and 1.

As far as other players, not underutilized, but misused. Jamming small running backs into the line repeatedly instead of using them on wheel routes, angle routes, and screens in space, particularly.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Schooler was moved by 2 different coaching staffs. At some point schooler fans need to admit he's just not that good. If he was great on D, he'd still be there, unfortunately he has a hard time covering.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

buckmarkduck wrote:

Schooler was moved by 2 different coaching staffs. At some point schooler fans need to admit he's just not that good. If he was great on D, he'd still be there, unfortunately he has a hard time covering.
If we could have recruited WR's that could catch he would still be on D
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:
buckmarkduck wrote:

If we could have recruited WR's that could catch he would still be on D
And he would be 3rd string at best.