Do we under utilize defensive talent?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

Alan
Senior

Re: Do we under utilize defensive talent?

Post by Alan »

As you know he started as a true freshman, it's hard to say he would be 3rd string as a senior
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

Alan wrote:As you know he started as a true freshman, it's hard to say he would be 3rd string as a senior
And as you know that was the worst UO defense in history.

I know he wouldn't start over Ugo or Holland (who ranked as the top Fr safety in America), and I doubt he would be ahead of Pickett.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

Duck07 wrote:It was the best of years, it was the worst of years. If you, ahem, #watch the tape, what you find is that Jelks film from last season looks amazing and this year looks meh. Last season Hollins gave you that meh vibe as an NFL prospect and then after a year with Feld he looked and played a lot stronger this season and the film shows that. Jalen definitely was a team player this year though because of the depth problems we had as I don't think he's going to be standing up much, if at all next level.

The combine could be a big riser for Hollins. I think he's got a chance for a 3rd round landing spot if he can show that he's got great burst and for Jalen, I think he just needs to get a bit more of that old man strength so that he takes a more direct route to the QB. At times he ends up going too wide which was a problem for some of his pass rush attempts this past week. While that bull rush clip looks nice, he's got to get better at dis-engaging once he wins but I think he could very well end up as a poor man's Jason Taylor.

Now to the question of do we under utilize the defensive talent we've had. Sure in some cases but that's always going to be the case. I think 2 TEs in particular should have been playing OLB for us instead though and that's Dante Rosario and Colt Lyerla. I know Dante carved out a nice career in the league so its hard to argue otherwise for him, but I always thought that he would have been more useful for us on a greater number of snaps each game had he played defense instead of offense. That same reasoning for me holds true for Colt with having a greater effect based on playing more snaps on defense. While he showed himself to be a talented player, his athleticism on defense could have been very interesting to watch play out. Perhaps like Lattimore from The Program, but we weren't going to stop that train. Plus, it would have deprived of us of the two-man touchdown with Bennett.
Sure but why the change? Anyway, looks like he led the Pac-12 in run stops:

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13