Wide receiver coach Edit: Texas Tech's Bouknight to be hired

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

StevensTechU
All Pac-12

Re: Wide receiver coach Edit: Texas Tech's Bouknight to be h

Post by StevensTechU »

Doesn't seem to have a long list of accomplishments, either with individuals on the field or as a recruiter. But here we go - lets hope he gets it done.
karlhungis
All Pac-12

Post by karlhungis »

Welp, can't be much worse than Johnson.
OregonFan4life -
My source just said Chip is officially back!
It will be announced at Autzen press conference tomorrow afternoon!
UofDuck
Senior

Post by UofDuck »

The expectation is that Mario sees something in him he wants.
duckfan22
Senior

Post by duckfan22 »

i wonder if Mario knowing the issues at receiver didnt make a real effort
in trying to keep Johnson here. May have determined that he needed to make
a change and it happened for him ? Just thinking out loud. He has also said they
were gonna look at the offense during the off season. hopefully they play more spread
and less pistol next year. Again just thinking out loud..lol
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

According to bio on Texas Tech's website, he added the passing game coordinator title in 2014 and then became co-offensive coordinator in 2016. Cristobal may see Bouknight as someone who could provide something different in the passing game while also potentially being someone who could be promoted should anyone leave.
GrantDuck
Senior

Post by GrantDuck »

I'm kind of for the scrappy low D-1 player who had a lot of success and made the most of his talents. Those guys are often great coaches.

As mentioned, I think he might have some ideas to add to the passing game and Utah State had some good production there under him.

But above all, we want our WR's to run proper routes and CATCH THE DAMN BALL. So hopefully he can improve us there. No more having physical freaks like Addison and Davis who look completely lost out there. Got to develop those kids.
Hoagduck
Four Star Recruit

Post by Hoagduck »

I'll give MC the benefit of the doubt. Guy seems like an up-and-comer.
maxduck
Senior

Post by maxduck »

Looks like he lost the Co-Offensive Coordinator title when Utah State hired David Yost. I agree with GrantDuck, he appeared to be an overachiever as a player which I see as a positive trait. 250 receptions for 3,600 yards plus 39 carries for another 279.

A couple of articles, the first from 2012 when Matt Wells kept him at USU and then a brief piece from Texas Tech with a couple of mic'd up clips.

https://utahstateaggies.com/news/2012/1 ... Coach.aspx

http://www.stakingtheplains.com/2018/12 ... receivers/
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

GoDucksIn09 wrote:Am I missing something. I would think we would hire a coach who has experience and is established that can recruit Texas. This does not strike me as a home run hire. I thought Cristobal wanted someone that can effectively recruit Texas. Kind of a blah hire. Hopefully I am wrong. Course if he can coach the receivers to catch the ball and get separation it would be an improvement.
He's not what was advertised when we started the search. But we'll see. Maybe an up and comer is what we need. This will be a great opportunity to prove himself.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
GoDucksIn09 wrote:Am I missing something. I would think we would hire a coach who has experience and is established that can recruit Texas. This does not strike me as a home run hire. I thought Cristobal wanted someone that can effectively recruit Texas. Kind of a blah hire. Hopefully I am wrong. Course if he can coach the receivers to catch the ball and get separation it would be an improvement.
He's not what was advertised when we started the search. But we'll see. Maybe an up and comer is what we need. This will be a great opportunity to prove himself.
He was one of the first names I saw the second the position came open. I think he's definitely what was advertised, and I'll trust Cristobal on this given that he's made nothing but great hires so far.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

droop10 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
He was one of the first names I saw the second the position came open. I think he's definitely what was advertised, and I'll trust Cristobal on this given that he's made nothing but great hires so far.
What individual player developments tickle catch your eye? And also Texas was one of the few criteria mentioned by coach when looking for a WR coach. Where's the Texas connection? he was only at Tech for one year.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

He has never coached a game at tech (or so I read)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
greenyellow

Post by greenyellow »

jimmy12 wrote:He has never coached a game at tech (or so I read)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But he has recruited Texas in the past. Just looking at the WRs he's had at Utah State the past 5 or so years, they've had WRs from CA, TX, UT, FL, MD, NV, and AZ.
alxtw
Five Star Recruit

Post by alxtw »

Hope he can get us some good connections and talents around the Utah and Colorado (now JL is gone) area. There's always some good talent around there.
droop10
Five Star Recruit

Post by droop10 »

UOducksTK1 wrote:
droop10 wrote:
UOducksTK1 wrote:
What individual player developments tickle catch your eye? And also Texas was one of the few criteria mentioned by coach when looking for a WR coach. Where's the Texas connection? he was only at Tech for one year.
4 guys from Texas tweeted today that they were going to visit Oregon in the next few weeks, with 2 of them being WRs. Could be a coincidence, but I think we're making a lot of assumptions about what kind of ties Bouknight has. Also, I think Arroyo has always been lauded for his Texas connections. I'm not sure how necessary it was for another coach to have ties to Texas. nice to have, sure. But it shouldn't take priority over hiring the right guy. If he's a great recruiter, I don't think it matters what ties he has. I believe these guys can pull guys from anywhere. Previous ties are nice to have, but not super necessary.