Any rumors or hints for LB coach?

Moderators: greenyellow, Autzenoise, UOducksTK1

gogreen55
Senior

Re: Any rumors or hints for LB coach?

Post by gogreen55 »

Phalanx wrote:
gogreen55 wrote: I agree his behavior is a black mark against him (doesn't automatically eliminate him from consideration though, in my opinion), but pointing out we fired a coach for getting a dui is irrelevant to the discussion. A dui is not only illegal, it puts lives at risk. These two things make it a far more egregious offense than cheating.
Man, do I disagree with this post. Unless someone got killed with the DUI, there is no comparison in my mind in terms of lasting damage caused. Whether the act is 'illegal' or not is totally irrelevant.
While everyone is entitled to an opinion, the fact you have to preface your statement with "unless someone got killed with the DUI" shows the complete absurdity of your viewpoint. Furthermore, the fact you think legality is "irrelevant" in decisions of hiring/firing employees is asinine. Seriously, what in the world are you talking about? I could go into more detail on each point, but it is like debating whether or not the Earth is flat. These self-evident points only have the illusion of being debatable.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

OregonFan4Life wrote:I agree with you and others, stay far away from a coach like that, that's not the role model we want for our young athletes. Real men and women are loyal to their spouses and only leave because of marital unfaithfulness, and they start a new relationship AFTER the divorce is final.
Ok, so let me get this straight. No school should employ a coach that falls into either of these two categories...

1. They have ever been divorced (unless it was as a result of being cheated on).

2. They have ever displayed infidelity.

You do realize that this would literally wipe out half (if not more) of the college coaches in the country, right? Should we boycott schools and businesses that employ people which have been a part of a divorce that doesn't fall within the parameters laid out in the Bible? "I hate divorce, says the Lord God." As any good Bible thumper knows, there are only two instances where divorce is allowed ("sexual immorality" and "abandonment by an unbeliever"). Even then, "God" encourages the marriage to be saved, with divorce as a last resort. Til death do us part.

There seems to be a lot of melding of different topics in the above posts in this thread. Cheating/divorce/broken families & homes. Technically, it is the divorce that breaks the family up, and cheating is just one of a wide variety of things that can lead to a divorce (although it doesn't have to, and often doesn't). I think virtually everyone agrees that cheating is bad. Exactly how bad it is and what the consequences should be is where the debate comes in. Where is the similar moral outrage over divorce in general? That is the problem with going down this slippery slope and letting the moral police decide things. The hypocrisy that develops with their selective moral outrage knows no bounds, particularly if their religion enters the equation.

I personally have never cheated on anyone. I view it as a black mark if a person has. That being said, I personally don't think it rises to the level of a life-long employment ban, which is basically what the moral police on this board have deemed appropriate.
lukeyrid13
All-American
GM: Portland TrailBlazers

Post by lukeyrid13 »

To get back to the topic on hand, in this one particular instance, he is purported to have done so with a recruits mom. It’s similar to the Bobby Petrino case IMO. If he had an affair I don’t think he would have been fired, but doing so in a way that tainted and melded home life and work is that extra layer.

I don’t think we necessarily need to continue a discussion on morality vs legality but I greatly appreciate the folks on here who shared their personal stories. I’m of the opinion that their vulnerability greatly added to the conversation while still touching on the particular subject at hand.
gogreen55
Senior

Post by gogreen55 »

lukeyrid13 wrote:If he had an affair I don’t think he would have been fired, but doing so in a way that tainted and melded home life and work is that extra layer.
Agreed. If not for the publicity of the whole situation as a result of that, this would be a non-issue that was just handled as a private matter behind closed doors. Just like the hundreds of other cases of infidelity each year with coaches on staffs across the country. Nobody knew (or cared) about Ernie Kent's infidelity until it involved a donor and became a PR issue.

Even though it seems like I am defending this guy, that doesn't mean I think he should necessarily be the hire. I don't know if he is really even being considered...maybe Mario has a fidelity litmus test for all hires, like some on this board do. Even if he is being considered, the baggage that he carries from this situation (from a public relations standpoint, negative recruiting/ability to recruit standpoint, etc.) should all be carefully factored in. He would need to not only convince Mario he will conduct himself in a manner that Mario deems appropriate moving forward, but be head and shoulders above other candidates in other areas to overcome his baggage.
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

It's not a simple simple as infidelity, it's a recruiter screwing a recruits mom and the same guy screwing a staff member. This guy isn't even ethical enough to keep it in his pants while on the job. Infidelity is bad enough and in my own opinion is a red flag, but that will be settled with a higher being later. Having such a lack of self control to be going after players mom's and coworkers is toxic and a time bomb........ a disruption and a potential program destroyer.
buckmarkduck
All-American

Post by buckmarkduck »

First off I don't support cheating, very sorry to hear about you're experienc Alan. But from what I can find mom isn't married. Not sure about the coach in question.

Second thing here, everyone is jumping to conclusions based on a rumor started by a college kid. There's a very good chance none of this is true.
UOducksTK1
Site Admin
Site Admin
GM: Boston Celtics GM

Post by UOducksTK1 »

gogreen55 wrote:
OregonFan4Life wrote:I agree with you and others, stay far away from a coach like that, that's not the role model we want for our young athletes. Real men and women are loyal to their spouses and only leave because of marital unfaithfulness, and they start a new relationship AFTER the divorce is final.
Ok, so let me get this straight. No school should employ a coach that falls into either of these two categories...

1. They have ever been divorced (unless it was as a result of being cheated on).

2. They have ever displayed infidelity.

You do realize that this would literally wipe out half (if not more) of the college coaches in the country, right? Should we boycott schools and businesses that employ people which have been a part of a divorce that doesn't fall within the parameters laid out in the Bible? "I hate divorce, says the Lord God." As any good Bible thumper knows, there are only two instances where divorce is allowed ("sexual immorality" and "abandonment by an unbeliever"). Even then, "God" encourages the marriage to be saved, with divorce as a last resort. Til death do us part.

There seems to be a lot of melding of different topics in the above posts in this thread. Cheating/divorce/broken families & homes. Technically, it is the divorce that breaks the family up, and cheating is just one of a wide variety of things that can lead to a divorce (although it doesn't have to, and often doesn't). I think virtually everyone agrees that cheating is bad. Exactly how bad it is and what the consequences should be is where the debate comes in. Where is the similar moral outrage over divorce in general? That is the problem with going down this slippery slope and letting the moral police decide things. The hypocrisy that develops with their selective moral outrage knows no bounds, particularly if their religion enters the equation.

I personally have never cheated on anyone. I view it as a black mark if a person has. That being said, I personally don't think it rises to the level of a life-long employment ban, which is basically what the moral police on this board have deemed appropriate.
Really depends on the program you're trying to run. There's some coaches/programs that care about morality and setting a good example for kids, and there's others that don't. I think with MC, he definitely puts an emphasis on morality, specifically when it comes to fidelity within marriage. That being said, people make mistakes so I'd imagine he'd take it case by case. But it's certainly a red flag at the bare minimum.

Do Not Fear. Isaiah 41:13
lmduck

Post by lmduck »

buckmarkduck wrote:First off I don't support cheating, very sorry to hear about you're experienc Alan. But from what I can find mom isn't married. Not sure about the coach in question.

Second thing here, everyone is jumping to conclusions based on a rumor started by a college kid. There's a very good chance none of this is true.
Totally agree. This was posted on Reddit. We should all know by now that is not exactly a place where good information comes from.
Phalanx
Senior

Post by Phalanx »

gogreen55 wrote:
Phalanx wrote:
gogreen55 wrote: I agree his behavior is a black mark against him (doesn't automatically eliminate him from consideration though, in my opinion), but pointing out we fired a coach for getting a dui is irrelevant to the discussion. A dui is not only illegal, it puts lives at risk. These two things make it a far more egregious offense than cheating.
Man, do I disagree with this post. Unless someone got killed with the DUI, there is no comparison in my mind in terms of lasting damage caused. Whether the act is 'illegal' or not is totally irrelevant.
While everyone is entitled to an opinion, the fact you have to preface your statement with "unless someone got killed with the DUI" shows the complete absurdity of your viewpoint. Furthermore, the fact you think legality is "irrelevant" in decisions of hiring/firing employees is asinine. Seriously, what in the world are you talking about? I could go into more detail on each point, but it is like debating whether or not the Earth is flat. These self-evident points only have the illusion of being debatable.
It's funny, I had to edit my post a few times to make it more polite. You, apparently, had no such qualms. It's okay, I've seen you throw your own father under the bus on this site, so I won't take it personally. You clearly don't have the respect for and investment in family that others do, and perhaps it affects your thinking on this issue. Despite your criticisms, I remain unmoved. A case of infidelity, particularly where children are involved, is far more devastating than the vast majority of DUI cases, which can certainly lead to death, but usually don't. We most often judge DUI's based on potential or hypothetical damage rather than actual damage. Actually, I suspect that is the reason why there are so many drunk driving cases - because most of them are uneventful, and therefore it gives offenders false confidence that they are immune to accidents, etc. The bottom line is that infidelity does permanent damage pretty much every time, and drunk driving does once in awhile. The stain from one DUI is nearly always easier to overcome than that from one case of cheating on a spouse. Neither are activities I would ever council anyone to engage in, and both would certainly cause great skepticism in terms of evaluating coaching candidates, but really, basing the argument on which one is legal has no merit in my view. Like many others, I don't view the State as the final arbiter of ethical values.
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

This thread is no longer about names, it’s about morality. Snoooooooooze button
Alan
Senior

Post by Alan »

jimmy12 wrote:This thread is no longer about names, it’s about morality. Snoooooooooze button
Yup! Not important! Lol
jimmy12
Senior

Post by jimmy12 »

I wouldn’t say not important. Just definitely dont wsnt to read about it.
rockthief
Senior

Post by rockthief »

Ought to be a good coach in FCS who would work out
AshlandDuck
Three Star Recruit

Post by AshlandDuck »

Phalanx wrote:You clearly don't have the respect for and investment in family that others do, and perhaps it affects your thinking on this issue.
This is really, really weak sauce.